My Jesus/Goodness of God

asatbender

Tele-Afflicted
I helped make these songs as a Christmas gift for the singer's parents. I am happy with the way everything sounded except my electric guitar parts. They sound thin at times. I hate programming drums line by line, so they are pretty generic and copy/paste, with a few fills here and there. Any suggestions on what I could do to make it these sound more polished and professional? Not sure if I should post this here or in Recording forum:

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
I'll chime in, though I am not an expert on home recording. Overall, the songs sound good, especially Goodness of God. Regarding the electric guitar tone, if you are playing a Tele style, its going to sound "bright".
Are you able to edit the "amp" settings on your recording ?

Or use a guitar with humbuckers or filtertrons?

Overall, the songs sound nice !

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks, I used a Simplifier set on the AC Brit (Vox) setting for my amp sounds. It sounds good in my headphones just doesn't sound the same on the recording.
I use a Simplifier as well, on my main gigging board. That's good to know, as I may be involved in a live worship recording this year.

asatbender

Tele-Afflicted
I run Direct to board and alternate between IEM's and HeadRush 208 for monitoring. It sounds great in both, not sure what it sounds like FOH.

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
To my ear the tone on the guitar tracks is fine. Needs a beefier drum track for sure and more punch on the bass to fill in the bottom and mabe a strings key part then let the guitars ride on top.

Last edited:

CapnCrunch

Friend of Leo's
Thanks, I used a Simplifier set on the AC Brit (Vox) setting for my amp sounds. It sounds good in my headphones just doesn't sound the same on the recording.
In my experience what you get in headphones never matches the recording. After numerous recordings, you'll have some idea of how they differ and be able to predict what the recording will sound like based on what you heard in the headphones.

mnfidel

TDPRI Member
I agree with Ascension, the guitar tones are fine. I would offer that bringing the upper mids (2KHz or so, give or take) down a bit on the acoustic would keep it a bit more out of the way of the vocal. And yeah, I'd second the idea of a more powerful rhythm section behind everything too :)

On the vocal, I'd listen for, and consider fixing, the plosives ("p" sounds) and perhaps even sibilance ("s" sounds) if you can.

Overall, nice job!

asatbender

Tele-Afflicted
1) I am looking into a pop filter. I tried to EQ/compress those out but some are still audible.
2) Not sure how to change drum sounds as I just use the free version of addictive for that.
3) I will work on bass tones. I was lazy and took the first good pass I got. I used my guitar Simplifier for bass. I can probably go a little more "woofy" and it won't be that way on the actual track.