My J-45 pains me

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by mtown, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I love how dreadnoughts feel. It's mandolins that hurt. (But they're so much fun, they're ow-worthy.)

2. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Reaching over that large of a body , yechhh. I have mostly switched to OM size, there's nothing else to be done.

HappyHwy1owner and mtown like this.
  3. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

If my 1942 J-50 and 1961 B45-12 drew blood I would not stop playing them.

Charlie Bernstein and Stubee like this.
  4. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I know your problem. I have a 1950 J-45. Love it. But got a frozen shoulder from playing three hours hard without a break at a pub jam. Took me 18 months to heal.

Sunday, I came back with my 1930 L-1 that has been in storage in the states.

Same sound, same volume, even more articulate. And plenty of low end on tap.

My shoulder thanks me.

IMG_0230.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

I was heartbroken when I had to sell my large bodied Lowden 26 years ago, because of neck and shoulder pain. I ended up with a Martin 00016. I was annoyed at the time, but don't regret it now. Good things can come out of adversity.

mtown likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have 2 J45s. One is the newer cutaway. Same sound, diff feel.

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Simon and Patrick Mini Jumbo then. Best of both, and more affordable than a J45.

mtown likes this.
  8. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

IMG_0617.JPG Problem solved. No it doesn’t sound like my old J-45 but it’s got its own thing going which I like. The best thing is I can play it without the shoulder problems.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    younkint, dswo and Stubee like this.
  9. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Here’s some home pics of my Gibson L-00 Studio
    IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG

HappyHwy1owner and Stubee like this.
  10. Squiertony

Squiertony TDPRI Member

Taylor GS mini? They sound pretty big but not quite like a dred...

11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

First, let me say, beautiful guitars. Love the vintage Gibby's!

Second, I started reading this thread and the first thing that popped into my head is illustrated in this photo... a nice 12 fret guitar will get a lot of that bass response you miss from a big dread.

I am very grateful that I am amid=size guy who barely notices guitar sizes. But, my very favorite acoustic is my little Keb Mo, a 12 fret LG-2 copy. Small parlor, but the bridge is moved back over the sound box and really picks up and projects the low notes beautifully.

unfamous and mtown like this.
  12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thanks and you really hit it.

A well-made parlor guitar with a 12-fret neck puts the bridge right in the sweet spot. Volume, balance, bass response and sensitivity go way up.

I have a ‘27 Martin O-28K that does a similar thing to the Gibby, but Martin-style, making me think it’s down to the 12 frets working right on a small-bodied guitar.

unfamous, mtown and Axis29 like this.
  13. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear you had to give up the J45, but the L-00 is a stunning and worthy alternate.

I guess since i haven’t experienced it, it’s hard for me to imagine what it would be about the dread body that would cause shoulder pain versus a smaller body acoustic. Is reaching over the larger body really that much of an adjustment in position/posture?

I play a concert size, a dread, and a super jumbo, none of which are more or less difficult or painful to play. I’ve had rotator cuff issues in both shoulders in the past, though neither has bothered me in a long while.

Do you have existing shoulder issues, or is this something that the dread brought out on its own?

14. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I have a Gibson/Ward's '36 L-00 style, but ladder braced. It is loud as heck and sounds beautiful, with much of the strong fundamental that makes the J-45 distinctive. It's very comfortable to play. Unfortunately, I believe that a great % of the newer versions of this great guitar suffer from the deadness of so many overbuilt Gibson acoustics. So I can't recommend it blindly, but if you find a good one, I think you would be happy with it. I'm no longer interested in playing whopper-sized acoustics.

mtown likes this.
  15. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

That's too bad about the J45...fantastic guitar! I too have right shoulder problems, and the ONLY acoustic I found I could play comfortably at all, was the Martin backpacker. I still do OK, (so far), with electric guitars, even semi-hollows, as long as they are thin bodied short scaled, ala ES335, ES339, Byrdland, the thinner the better. I for the longest time wanted the king of the flattops, (SJ-200), but I even struggle with shoulder pain a bit with an O shape parlor....not much help, sorry!

16. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

I didn’t have any problems with dreads until I got in my 50’s. I’m 62 now. I had a beautiful D-35 that didn’t give me any shoulder issues. I sold that because I was flat broke and needed tires years ago. I’ve noticed as I get older I can’t play as long as I used to. Oh well I’ll just have to take more breaks. Thanks for your input.

Chud likes this.
  17. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

The thinner bodies do better with me also. After reading up on this it seems to be a pretty common problem especially as we age. Perhaps the reach over the thicker body on acoustics is the problem. Playing classical style seems to help but doesn’t completely alleviate the problem. The smaller L-00 body is definitely better for right now.

18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Yep, it's definitely an age/arthritis thing, in order to play an acoustic guitar, you do have to put your shoulder in a unnatural position to use your picking hand properly. With a thin bodied guitar, you can rest your picking arm on top of the lower bout, and still reach the strings pretty good. On a wider bodied guitar, you have to rotate your shoulder more to reach the strings properly....resulting in quite a bit of pain for some of us!

mtown likes this.
  19. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I had some really bad pain along my right shoulder blade a while back that I'm sure was from the dread size guitar I was playing at the time. Now I'm considering buying a really good acoustic and I'm debating a j45 or d28 but I'm also wanting to spend some time with a 000 before I decide.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  20. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

I separated both of my shoulders in a car wreck some 20+ years ago, so I feel your pain! Gave up on Dreadnaughts some time ago and settled on the 000 body size. Have more recently graduated to an OM and am very happy with it.

mtown likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.