My Horse

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Sometimes things aren't worth explaining God bless you for your patience

Steerforth likes this.
  2. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Officially, there are no Mountain Lions in Arkansas. And if they were officially here, they’d be protected. Then if a rancher shot one, he’d have troubles.

Unofficially, I’ve bumped into two of the absent cats. They must have been transients. And they keep showing up on peoples’ trail cameras.

The horse has what appear to be claw marks high up on his butt. No coyote did it. And ol’ painful could outrun a bear with no effort at all. He’s fast.

I’ve been walking today. And as it happens, I know the exact spot where one of the cats that aren’t here sleeps during the day. It’s within a quarter of a mile of the back side of the pasture.

I’m now looking into this with great interest. But I’m not going to return a not guilty varmint to its manufacturer based on assumptions. So I’m looking to see if I can build a strong enough case to warrant the action.

In the meantime, I’m watching, and walking. There are a lot of tracks in the snow, but I haven’t found the site where he was injured yet. Puzzling.

spurgie79, elihu, Toto'sDad and 3 others like this.
  3. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

Well I am happy to hear that your horse is going to be alright.

Really the most likely suspects are:

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

or
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Installing trail cams to gather the evidence?

Steerforth likes this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I’ll be curious to know how this plays out.
    We have hogs that give my Catahoula Cur dogs trips to the vet, and I know y’all have them as well.
    I also know the injuries you describe almost certainly were not inflicted by a hog.
    Nor could I imagine a horse and hog having any reason to tangle out in the open.
    Anyhow, hope you get it.
    And I hope you show pictures once you have.

Steerforth likes this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I thought I told you this is not the best way to deal with your Wife. Leave it alone!

7. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That is big for an Appaloosa.

My sister had an Appaloosa/ Quarter Horse mix. Her Appaloosa side was "quirky". Funny, but she could be skittish too. That horse / pony used to come put her head on my shoulder when I was repairing her fence, then lean on me. Ah, dude, sorry, but you are heavy!

Blister and Steerforth like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I used to know a horse who could yank a shirt right off a woman before you could say don't do it! He must have been Casanova in a former life 'cause he never pulled that trick on a man.

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sounds like he was hurting a bit. Wait'll he feels better, and get back down there again... He may send you flying, but at least it'll cheer him up! :D

Steerforth and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Only you, TD, have such a wealth of ... well, either great stories, or total bull, never sure which... and who cares? :lol:

spurgie79, Steerforth, elihu and 2 others like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

If you put salt on the lions tail, he won't be able to fly.

MickM, Steerforth and teletimetx like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

The only response I can think of concerning my stories, it's a proven fact I ain't smart enough to make 'em up! Uh, wait, that didn't come out exactly right.

spurgie79 and Steerforth like this.
  13. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I truly believe that horses know you are trying to help them. Horses read people way better than most people think.

I have a bunch of stories like this but the one that comes to mind is that one of our 6 is a mustang who is just not interested in people. Cool little horse who has taught me a lot. He has managed to hurt himself a couple of times. The worst was when he cut his eyelid. We had to sedate him and sew it back together (vet did the sedating and sewing). While I was treating it he was a perfect angel. Not skittish, wouldn't run away. Held perfectly still while I messed with his eye. Took almost a month to heal. When it was done he was right back to his old self. :)

spurgie79 and Steerforth like this.
  14. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is the only big cat roaming wild around my area. I might have trouble sleeping if I thought a big cat was prowling after my horse. And by horse I mean small, lazy dog. Anyway, I wish you luck keeping your horse safe.

upload_2021-2-19_13-55-11.png

Steerforth likes this.
  15. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

My lovely horse
    Running through the fields
    Where are you going
    With your fetlocks blowing
    In the wind?

I want to shower you with sugar lumps
    And ride you over fences
    Polish your hooves every single day
    And take you to the horse dentist

My lovely horse
    You're a pony no more

RoyalBaby, Cloodie and Steerforth like this.
  16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

My vet says that you can turn a cow out into a junkyard and she'll be fine.

But there can be one nail in a 10 acre pasture and a horse will find it!

spurgie79, ale.istotle and Steerforth like this.
  17. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

As I said we have 6. If we come out to find one of the horses is hurt the probability is close to 99% it is the horse we call Sundance. 3 of them have never had an injury of any kind and they are all over 7. Sundance gets into something about every 4 - 6 months. Usually the treatment is minimal but - as Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say - it's always something. :)

18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I can tell you from experience that this is pretty true. You can also put a mule in pretty much any place that would end up crippling a horse, and the mule will walk out without a scratch. Mules are also known to kill mountain lions too so maybe @Steerforth needs to pick up a guard mule.

19. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

We got them catamonts in DFW

DALLAS – Texas wildlife officials say they suspect that a mountain lion killed over the weekend was the same one spotted outside of Dallas in recent weeks.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department said Tuesday that the mountain lion — an adult male that weighed about 160 pounds — was legally killed Saturday by a deer hunter.

Wildlife officials say mountain lions are very uncommon in North Texas, and they suspect the mountain lion that was killed was the same one seen and photographed in the Dallas suburb of Rowlett in late November and near Princeton — about 20 miles (32 kilometers) to the north — earlier this month.

ale.istotle and Steerforth like this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Hell, I’m way better looking than Jeremiah Johnson. I’m Colonel Walter E. Kurtz’s doppelgänger. :D

The last troublesome feline that I dealt with almost flew. He did a dramatic backflip. :D

We had a large bobcat that came night after night, trying to get into the chicken coop, after our Rhode Island Reds.

He finally showed up one moonless night, and we heard the ruckus going on out there. I grabbed my rifle and Mrs. Steerforth grabbed a big flashlight. We went out the front door and crept quietly around back.

When we got out back I said, “Give me some illumination.” There he was, trying to force his way through the chicken wire.

I said to Mrs. Steerforth, “Watch this, right between the eyes!” Mrs. Steerforth replied, “Yeah, right!” very skeptically.

I raised the rifle, squeezed the trigger, and the bobcat did a spectacular backflip, then lay still in the dirt. We walked over to him and I turned him over so we could examine him. He had a perfect 7.62mm hole exactly centered between his eyes.

Mrs. Steerforth was astonished. “I don’t believe it!” she exclaimed.

“I told you,” I said.

“You’re legally blind, half deaf, it’s a new moon and pitch black out, and you were at least 40 meters away. And on top of that, you told me beforehand where you were going to shoot him! How is that even possible?” She inquired excitedly.

For some reason, the first thing that popped into my head was the movie Caddyshack.

I turned to Mrs. Steerforth, grinning in the darkness, and said, “You have to be the bullet, Danny.”

She still tells people that story. She’s seen me do similar things two or three times since then. Madame no longer doubts my ability to hit what I shoot at despite my being visually impaired. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.