My home town: Flood defences breeched.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bristlehound, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I spent my 'formative years' as a teenager living in the UK Midlands town of Bewdley... a very old town on the River Severn, one of the UKs biggest rivers. Bewdley was very important as it was the highest navigable point on the river, so goods were unloaded there and taken by horse and cart to their destination... or back down the river. Bewdley once boasted the most pubs-per-population in the UK... and was a thriving commercial hub back in the days.

However, the River Severn would flood regularly so in 2006, at a cost of £7 million, flood defences were built to withstand the '100 year flood'. This happened up and down the Severn in many other towns as well.

These defences have now been breeched... and my old mum lives down near the river in her new place we bought her after dad died a few years ago. River levels haven't peaked yet... and more rain is expected in the river's catchment area. It's a worrying time for me and my siblings.

BBC Report: Bewdley flooding: Residents evacuated as flood defences breach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And further up-stream at Ironbridge... the home of Thomas Telford's famous bridge... the first one made from iron. I like prosaic town names!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

You and family have my sincere sympathies. Awful time. So much of historic UK build around water. Best wishes.

Ditchgator and Bristlehound like this.
  3. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

It's strange to me that bewdley is 14cm (just under 6 inches) below it's record flood height. The record was set in 2000. So why aren't the flood barriers 5cm (2 inches) higher than the record?

Bristlehound likes this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thoughts and prayers here. I hope you and your family stay safe and dry through this.

Bristlehound and uriah1 like this.
  5. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

There have never been floods like these before. We've been lucky our way, just minor inconvenience caused by road closures (got to one gig late, but no big deal). My thoughts and best wishes are with all those afflicted.

Bristlehound likes this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

We had a "100 year storm" last summer and our house--which has been dry for the twenty years we've lived in it--got 3.5 feet of water. We are sure, and out county is sure, that events like that will become more common, and we are trying to figure out what we can do about it.

Greggorios and Bristlehound like this.
  7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I hope things turn out OK. I live next to a river and had the water on my doorstep, in January 2016. It's not a happy experience. :(

Bristlehound likes this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Wow.

Bristlehound likes this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Y’all are in my thoughts and prayers.
    It happens here as well so I understand.
    Bear in mind that that the water will recede. Things will dry. The stuff you throw away is just stuff. The mud will come off and the smell will go away.

Keep yourself and your family safe.

Bristlehound likes this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Wish all well!!
    Thoughts with ya

Bristlehound likes this.
  11. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Sorry you and your family are having to deal with this. I hope the rains let up soon. Best wishes from Texas.

Bristlehound likes this.
  12. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I live near the River Great Ouse which floods regularly but there is enough flood plain to take it and it is very rare that anything worse happens than the causeway closing to traffic, which it did in December. Every time we feel fed up with it we think of what's happening around your way, in Wales and in the North which is much, much worse. Hope things improve soon.

Bristlehound likes this.
  13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Yikes! Stay safe.

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Thinking about you @Bristlehound and all the rest of my fellow countrymen who are flooded out, or on the verge of flooding. The powers that be are always freaking out about flood defences, without ever throwing any money at the problem. Rather like throwing a plaster at an amputation.

aging_rocker and Bristlehound like this.
  15. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I live in the county of Essex, which despite being one of the driest regions in the country still has 3 rivers running through. We've avoided all the large scale floods but there are still smaller local ones. There are a lot of low lying areas and reclaimed marshes with poor drainage so roads often turn into rivers, especially near river crossings. Apparently there's no money to fix anything anymore, despite our highest tax burden ever.

Fendereedo and Bristlehound like this.
  16. Bristlehound

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I suppose the reason for not building them higher are many and varied... but cost would surely come into it - though we can 'afford' the £300 million/mile of the high-speed rail link!!!!

The trouble with the UK is that we're an old, densely populated country... and the first towns and villages (from 1000 years ago etc etc) were very often built by rivers... which had proper flood plains in those days.

Fast forward to today, the towns and villages have grown into cities and bigger towns, we've built on the flood plains and tried to constrict the river flow to keep it off these places, and the water has nowhere to go except higher and higher.

It's ending in tears. I'm not sure my old mum could cope with being flooded out of her house after all she's been through in the past few years.

aging_rocker and Fendereedo like this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Terrible! Hope it eases.

Bristlehound likes this.
  18. Bristlehound

19. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wishing safety to you and yours.

Bristlehound likes this.
  20. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Telford's bridge is one of the distinct structures that I recall from an architectural history class in 1976, because of the beauty of the bridge and its setting.
    upload_2020-2-26_9-17-52.jpeg

Many of the houses down the hill from mine are now gone, after three floods in the past 15 years, all the result of intentional discharges from a reservoir that could not contain more water than it was designed to hold. Because the drainage area has been developed with residences and paved surfaces, rainwater reaches the reservoir at a faster rate than when it was built 50 years ago, so the floodgates are opened and the homes improvidently built in the downstream floodplain are destroyed.

You and your mother have my sympathy.

Bristlehound likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.