My guitar teacher from the 1980s passed away two years ago, but I just found out it was suicide.

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
The hospital wanted to release him, despite his condition. He was the last person in the world that you would associate with clinical depression. RIP, Jim.

I saw him in GC in 1995, and then in the PNW in 2003. Then for the next 15+ years, I lost track of him on Facebook.

Thanks for letting me vent. Be well in these crazy times.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
During the lockdown, I found out my swim coach took his own life. I didn't have a clue that he was suffering.

trandy9850

TDPRI Member
I have a childhood friend who is a psychiatrist….he told me that if you ever suspect someone may have that on their mind the best thing to do is look them right in the eye and ask them : “Are you thinking about hurting yourself?”

He said that, in a great majority of the times, that allows them to open up to another person.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Sorry to hear of this man, and I know how you feel... been there myself a few times. I just read that there's a serious uptick in suicides these days, and it has mental health pro's rather concerned. The last couple of years have been tough on a lot of people. I hope/wish for people to to reach out to someone and get help.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
So sorry to hear about your teacher.

Interesting, how many of us develop a bond with our first guitar teachers. I think Don is still out there but I especially think of him on the 4th of July. Because it was on the 4th, when he was a kid, that a fireworks accident messed his right hand up so much.

Anyway, I apologize for drifting off subject here. I think that suicide, like cancer before it, is gradually becoming something that people are more open to talk about. People used to be so taciturn - now, for many, they say things and so there's a chance we can intervene.