My guitar student thinks Jimi Hendrix is terrible!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks for this. I see your point, too.

The time may change, but the way people deal with things in various ways ... generally doesn't change too much. In this case, perhaps love of country, vs strong disagreement on how it should be expressed, ironically resulting in us fighting ourselves. Jeez, I haven't seen that anywhere lately :lol:. I guess, like now, there were two sides to every story. But yeah, the spitting strikes me (then and now) as simple hateful ignorance, not thoughtful protest.

I don't have anything more to say here. I sincerely hope this is viewed as productive, and on topic as far as the Anthem performance, but it certainly is veering toward the edge, and I wouldn't want to shut our great thread down. If mods prefer to remove this, please, by all means.

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Too be fair, Billie Joe Armstrong is one of the more influential players in the last 20 years. Not one of the "best" or most technical players. Definilty not rock guitar god status, but green day got a TON of kids into the punk rock guitar scene over the years. Lots of guys that play now might not if guys like BJA hadn't been around when and how they were.

3. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

We never wanted a ton of kids into punk rock. And we surely don't think green day and blink 182 even come close to punk rock.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is funny and yet another revelatory look at how bands sometimes lose their relevance before they burn out.
    Green Day is finally just another old folks band that's trying to make a living in the young folks pop music world.

This back in 2012:

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...-irony-of-green-days-on-stage-tantrum/262723/

KDawg64, blille, moosie and 1 other person like this.
  5. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Good statement. The same can be said for many others. Ace Frehley, for example. Not technically great, but many famous and technically "better" guitarists cite him as an influence.

Influence and technical prowess are separate and unrelated things.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This sounds kind of elitist, no?

Whatever one wants to call Blink and GD is not important anyways, given the point made. Kids like it, want to play guitar because of it.

awasson likes this.
  7. Danjabellza

When I was a 14 year old kid I was all about Green Day and blink 182. As I got older I started getting into other music that is superior in many ways. If I hadn't gotten into punk as a kid, I probably wouldn't wouldn't have gotten into Metallica, which wouldn't have gotten me into Zeppelin, the stones, the Beatles, billy squire, The Who, Jefferson airplane, steppenwolf, the guess who, and many other great classic rock bands that I now love. I don't listen to punk much any more except for when I'm getting nostalgic, but it was a necessary first step in my rock n roll journey. If not for punk rock, I'd have been listening to "Now that's what I call music" top 40 Bull spit. I'd rather kids be rocking out on a crappy guitar to crappy punk rock than listening to drum machines and computer generated synth sounds.

moosie likes this.
  8. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Please stop calling that crap punk. It isn't. Not even close.

Telenut62 likes this.
  9. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Set your student the exercise of listening to Experienced and Axis through cordless headphones in good stereo.

Start at the beginning. It's more "poppy" and more structured.

Mechanic likes this.
  10. Danjabellza

"Pop punk" then? I know it's no ramones, the clash, or the misfits. Truth be told, I never could get "into" the original old school punk stuff...

Grux likes this.
  11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Very well put. His rhythm influence can be heard in the playing of Robin Trower, Eric Johnson and SRV. The reason why it's a short list is that it's really difficult to master that style!

BorderRadio, telemnemonics and Grux like this.
  12. moosie

Who's "we" in this post?

My son liked some Green Day, though there were other bands he preferred. I think he told me that Green Day "sold out" LOL. Okay... Anyway, I took him to some good punk shows when he was maybe 11-13 years old. Green hair, stage diving, oh jeez. I wish I had more pictures to show his daughter in about ten years.

And now (and always), my son is heavily into the Dead, Jimi, vintage Fender amps, etc etc. His #1 electric is and always has been a Tele. Bought a Super reissue (new) with his own cash before he was 16. If he likes to listen to some Rancid, MxPx, or Less Than Jake once in a while, so what? It's music!

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. moosie

+1

And the thing so much missed in these look-backs is that while SRV and others did their best to cop Hendrix's sound, Hendrix MADE IT UP! Sure, that rhythm style is rooted in some Mayfield licks, but Hendrix didn't copy it. He integrated it, into something entirely new. That's not just difficult. That's not something you can work a bit harder at, and finally get. It's that blend of talent, work ethic, and creativity that comes along so very rarely. Just thinking of that 60s era, of those who added so much new to the music that they're still the benchmark even today... the only ones that come to mind for me are the Beatles (who I don't care for, but I still see what they did, sometimes buried underneath all the pop marketing machine), the Dead, and Jimi. They did for the music of their era what Leo did for guitars and amps.

14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

"We" are the people that don't shop at hot topic. "We" are the people that keep the scene alive. "We" are the people that don't appreciate rich suburban kids thinking they're punk because their mom bought them a blink 182 t-shirt.

15. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

The guitar teacher I had at that time was VERY "old school" (reading, Proper technique, etc.). One day, at the end of a lesson, he asked me, "what do you think about Jimi Hendrix?"? I told him that I liked his playing. He then said "you know I don't like what he does, but I admire his execution on the instrument". That has stuck with me all these years. It made me more open minded about musical styles that I may not be in to. I now at least listen to them and try see what I can appreciate about them.

telemnemonics and moosie like this.
  16. moosie

Funny, punk and snobbery don't seem to go together, but I guess they do!

I'm "too old for punk" uh huh, but watching my son enjoy it, and him being inspired to learn to play bass in the lead style a few of those punk players exhibited, from my perspective punk seemed like a very inclusive genre, fairly low bar to enter (not a bad thing!), the point being that you did enter, and are giving it your best go.

On a side note, at first I found it noxious to my ears, the generational thing, I'm sure my parents would have said the same about Hendrix and even the Stones. But standing in the back at a few concerts, watching the energy, feeling the friggin bass THUMP through my chest... yeah, it was pretty fun times.

awasson likes this.
  17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

''The Star Spangled Banner'' is not an easy listen.Can't really blame him for not getting it on the first go round.
    It took me awhile to get the whole thing. If he gets into guitar enough he might have a Hendrix phase,but hard to say
    in this day and age.There's too much pop music around to screw it all up.

Steve Holt likes this.
  18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I've found over the years that Hendrix is one of the few stadium/festival rock & blues guitar players who still blows away serious musicians trained at the highest levels.

Scofield:

Bradford Marsalis:

John Medeski:

Teleka, RoyBGood, moosie and 2 others like this.
  19. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

^ I've listened to PUNK my entire life and it has had a profound and positive effect on my life. Some people have religion. Some people have drugs and booze. I've always had PUNK. So yeah, it gets under my skin when people call pop crap "punk." Sorry.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TDPRI mobile app

20. Chris Barrett

Chris Barrett TDPRI Member

Sometimes 14 year olds don't know as much as the strength of their opinions implies. They're 14. It all works out. Hendrix was/is an important rock guitar innovator and that isn't really in question even. Like Euler was a mathematician. Like that. Funny story.

grooveiron and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.