My guitar student thinks Jimi Hendrix is terrible!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

He opened a show with Sgt. Peppers 3 days after the albums release, Paul and George were in the audience......a legend.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When my brother gets a new hire fresh out of university in his department, who knows everything about everything and starts causing a ruckus, he has a saying:

I was your age once but you haven't been my age yet.

It kind of says it all. I remember being 10 years old and listening to Simon & Garfunkle, Hollies, early Beatles, stones, Sonny & Cher, etc... sort of soft rock AM radio stuff. Then I graduated to glam rock and slightly harder rock but I wasn't prepared for hard rock and more sophisticated stuff until I was 13 or 14 years old and then it wasn't until a few years later that I went yeah, Hendrix... Ok, I get this, this speaks to me.

I still get a visceral reaction when I see a great Hendrix performance like the performance that the "Like a Rolling Stone" clip was taken from. And yeah, maybe I'm not as learned as some of my esteemed colleagues in this discussion but I still listen to Jimi and am influenced by his music today. I can only hope that never stops. What a boring existence that would be.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same here. Quite often, actually. I really miss Jimi.

RoyBGood likes this.
  4. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

ya... tell your student to just strum along then.... Castles, Little Wing, whatever.... piece 'o cake right? maybe he's good enough to play that with feeling & move someone.... maybe not. in any case, what he don't appreciate is that NOBODY was doing stuff like that in the day.... he was one of a very few innovators that changed music forever. read their biographies and you'll find that Clapton, Beck, Page... and most every other rock guitar player of that era all more or less said the same thing when they first heard Jimi... "what am I going to do now?" knowing that the world was a different place with this new guy kicking their collective buttox. so, tell your student the day he changes how the world views music, he can diss Jimi to his hearts content

Telenut62 and awasson like this.
  5. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apologize to anybody of any age or description for idolizing Jimi? That will be the day.

Rospo likes this.
  6. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agree, but still, some things cross the line into absurdity. Saying Jimi Hendrix is terrible is one of those.

"I don't like Jimi Hendrix" is an opinion; saying "Jimi Hendrix is terrible" is an uniformed, not very bright, statement of fact.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can remember wearing the grooves out of the "Jimi Plays Berkley" album. This would have been around 75' when I was 13 years old. He was already cast as a ledgendary figure in music at that point. Even at 13 I could hear what the drugs were doing to him through his often sloppy out of tune playing. Forgetting verses, wild tempo from one concert to the next. Its like he's high on the tracks and you can hear the train coming. In fact, when I was offered drugs later in life, I always refused because I didnt want to play sloppy and wind up dead. It must have made an impression (thanks Jimi).
    I was just struggling the learn the notes back then, now 42 years later I struggle with capturing the feeling of Jimi's playing.
    Every generation creates its heroes and they are still self-destructing basket cases.. I'll take Jimi over Mylie any day!

Electric Mud likes this.
  8. Genadeloos

Genadeloos TDPRI Member

Yeah, that's the thing with modern bands, they all want to sound perfect. All recordings are polished to death, no little mishap or slightly out of tune thing is allowed. In fact there are but a few great bands left playing live without a backing track... that takes away the freedom of playing some interpretations or just jamming on stage... imo that takes the SOUL out of the music. And talking about Jimi H. He had an enormous quantity of soul and that's what made him great.

When I was 14 years old I had a strong opinion on the music my parents listened to ( and it was bad :) Now I'm 53 and I've a strong opinion on the "music" the youth of today listen to ( and it's BAD too ;) Ah well... it's all between the ears I guess... o_O

Electric Mud and Route67 like this.
  9. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Yupp!! Hendrix created a lot of the sounds and styles of today. It's like he was a car from the 60's . A 68 Camaro SS, or a Boss Mustang. He's a classic !! Great in his day , and an innovation in his time, and still his music is great, but time has created so many imitations that are as good or "better" technically. The kids of today, can't see the talent . All of what they here today is run through a computer and tuned and timed and fixed , so that it's not the singer or player anymore, it fabricated into something else, or perfected if will . I still prefer to hear a hiçcup every now and then , or a guitar bend that wasn't quite in tune. Jimi would sound totally different if he started today . Any of our heroes or idols of yesteryear would sound totally different if they were starting out today, if they were even heard today.

Route67 likes this.
  10. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Mine too! :)

11. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Even back in the day , it was controversial. Conventional people thought it was horrible, a disgrace. But time convinced a lot of us how talented and powerful that version is !

grooveiron likes this.
  12. gooman

gooman TDPRI Member

when I was that age I thought Johnny Cash sucked (how wrong can I be) but I did worship Jimi the Who the Beatles the Stones Kinks steppenwolf ect ect its part of being young and dumb;)

13. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

It took me til I was in my 20s til I realized he was WAY better than I was. Course, I'm still better than Clapton.....:rolleyes: (;))

awasson likes this.
  14. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

An old, washed up rock guitar god at that. Green Day became popular when I was 14 and that was 22 years ago!

Gibson and burntfrijoles like this.
  15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I don't know, kinds sad, lots of deaf ears out there.

As far as I'm concerned Hendrix is/was the pinnacle of electric blues guitar. His decisively sophisticated sense of time & syncopation is still incredible today, most no one can touch it, most "blues" guys are SRV noodlers that just aren't at the level Hendrix was anyways.

He's really the only guy out there who took Muddy, Lightnin', BB, John Lee Hooker, etc and that heavy delta sense of time & phrasing to the next level. There's plenty of "fast" blues players to follow but their time is always rooted in a straight/polished chuck berry type shuffle.

Nah, people still can't touch Jimi.

16. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

The 14 year old student is critiquing a live performance recording. Most likely, he does not have extensive gigging or recording experience. His opinion may change over time.

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

In my opinion his straight lead playing doesn't hold up. It's self indulgent and tedious. It was novel back in the day, but it's tiresome now. I hate that star spangled banner thing too.

Where hendrix stands out still is the brilliance of his rhythm playing--the way he can combine rhythm and lead, like in Hey Joe famously, or in little wing. He has more in common than people realize with jazz guys playing chord melody: if you listen to, say, Joe Pass, there are lots of points where simple double stops are used to bridge chords but they sound great because the time and the note choice are perfect. Hendrix does that. And you can hear how much time he spent on the chitlin circuit, listening to guys like Bill Jennings or Billy Butler, playing in situations where you had to carry bass and rhythm and harmony. Also he has a great loose sense of time that also comes out of the african american jazz tradition. He manages to sound relaxed and urgent at the same time. His rhythm playing, or maybe better put as his rhythm/lead playing, is still unequaled in my opinion.

18. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

There is a tremendous disconect between children/teens/young adults and music! Period! To begin with, they all need to leave their phones/camera/facebook/snapchat/twitter home when they attend a show/concert that is supposed to be a churchlike experience! Then, they need to get rid of all of those same distractions when they are listening to artists because I believe a very small portion of the music is entering their brains......or, maybe music is just becoming irrelevant to them altogether!

Route67 and Electric Mud like this.
  19. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I was twenty when I first heard Hendrix's version of the national anthem and I was stunned. To me it was something the whole country should have understood, but they didn't. Fifty years later, I think it's time to dust it off and play it again.

20. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not sure how any guitar student could not appreciate little wing or his version of all along the watchtower

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.