My guitar student thinks Jimi Hendrix is terrible!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I like to think the crazy noise made more musical sense while listening while 'experienced'

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, Jimi's rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" was a masterpiece IMO.

rogb, songtalk, GoldDeluxe5E3 and 3 others like this.
  3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Had to be in the right mental state perhaps?

elKZacha and Steve Holt like this.
  4. cboutilier

My old man could only appreciate The Doors on acid

elKZacha and JustABluesGuy like this.
  5. cboutilier

The musician in me looks at it as brilliant, but the patriotic decendant of veterans causes an internal conflict. Part of me feels that things like national anthems and flags are untouchable by artistic experimentation.

6. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

I think that if any of us could go back and hear a few of the things we said at age 14 we'd slap our teenage selves silly.

Jethro, Admiral Akbar, rze99 and 9 others like this.
  7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Yes, in reading the initial post and some of the following comments, it made me wonder whether a guitar teacher (or at least some guitar teachers) might take an approach that combines the techniques of playing with the history of playing, as far back as possible, up to the present. That would have really helped me, but who knows if I would have listened at 14.

But this approach also makes sense: letting students bring what they're interested in and branching out from there. It sounds like your approach comes from a lot of experience and from considering the family dynamics of your students. It seems very mature and reasonable to me, even if it means you have to hold back some good stuff from your students at points.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I saw him at the Marquee and thought he was rubbish .It was shock to the system .Of course later his talent came shining through my fuddled brain .Dont expect kids to worship our legends .They have to make their own and your spotty 14 year old may the one...but probably isnt .

Route67, Gibson and JustABluesGuy like this.
  9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Ya' picked a good one here. Monterey was great, as was Band Of Gypsies. I can understand why someone doesn't get Star Spangled Banner.

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I also don't want to make my lessons all about me. When I first started teaching I had a student that was having a really hard time getting into it and thought of lessons as more of a chore. So for one lesson I played her one of my all time favorite songs, and favorite songs to play, You Never Give Me Your Money by the Beatles, and that was a turning point for her. I learned by bringing songs to my teacher who would then teach me those songs. He probably got annoyed by the 7th Chili Peppers songs I brought him, but he never said anything and it was probably the biggest contributing factor to why I'm still playing 15 years later. Without that motivation I could've been lost.

keybyte likes this.
  11. theprofessor

Since we're talking about Hendrix: I'm too young to be able to appreciate Hendrix in his time, other than by reading or watching documentaries. But I have a friend who can help me. He was in Sha Na Na, who opened for Hendrix on the last day of Woodstock. They went on at 7 am, and after their show was over, my friend stayed on stage and watched Hendrix from there. This friend is no longer in music. Actually, he's one of the foremost scholars of ancient Judaism and a senior professor in that area. He tells me that when many synagogues ask him to come and speak, they want 1 hour on Jewish Bible and 2 hours on Woodstock.

billgwx, Tony474, Iago and 5 others like this.
  12. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Are You Experienced, came out 50 years ago (damn) and a lot has happened in the world of guitars since then, but 50 years ago Jimi Hendrix was jaw dropping. It's hard for a kid to relate to the groundbreaking style of Hendrix at that time, now he's little more than a historical figure their grandparents were into. (but we know better)

Gibson, Teleka, Bluebird and 2 others like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Given the scene portrayed by The Star Spangled Banner, I'd offer that the Hendrix version is more in keeping with the subject matter than a choir of ten year olds with angelic voices.
    We're asked by the verses if we as a nation are still alive, or if we have been killed off in the epic battle for independence.
    I reckon there were dismembered corpses all round the shredded banner, blood spatters, screams of the dying and of women searching for their husbands and sons in the carnage.

The only problem with the Hendrix version is he was not patriotic looking, and worse still, resembled those hippies protesting against the Vietnam war.

4pickupguy, moosie and Endless Mike like this.
  14. theprofessor

I also need Hendrix only in small doses. It's often too much for me. But to my mind, his status is beyond doubt. He was an incredible force. And to stir the pot a little, I don't think that SRV and Hendrix are comparable in terms of the total picture. In terms their interpretation of the blues, they may be equals. But that is all. Hendrix's talent and control are truly mind-boggling.

Here is one of my favorite videos of Hendrix, though, admittedly, I'm not an aficionado.

Teleka, elKZacha, songtalk and 4 others like this.
  15. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

I was 15 when I saw a Jimi Hendrix concert. It changed my whole concept of guitar. I still use that show as my standard for rating musical performances.

elKZacha, Obsessed and Ex-riverman like this.
  16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I've said this about Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Jim Morrison and others from the sixties. I exclude the Dead though, because in many ways there sound transcends the Sixties after they got past those first three albums, and their strictly psychedelic period. I don't like Morrison or the Doors, but I appreciate them in the context of their time. Jim Morrison must have been somewhat shocking and exciting at the time.

17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Context , context , context .
    Just hope that he doesn't come in asking to learn Chicago's Free Form Guitar note for note .

rogb likes this.
  18. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I agree that pushing him toward it is a bad idea but for different reasons. I was pushed to listen to certain things by older school mates that I had no interest in. It didn't help that they called my favorite bands "crap".

To this day nothing makes me change the radio station faster than hearing (most) Beatles songs. Led Zeppelin is a close 2nd.

Crazy? Maybe... but I'm the direct result of being pushed to listen to something I didn't want to.

19. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Context is important, but I didn't want to give the kid's whole life story out in one post. It was just a funny exchange we had that I thought I'd share.

If he comes in wanting to learn Do you Feel Like We Do from Frampton Comes Alive, note for note, he's aware that I have limitations! haha

20. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Castles is the very first song I asked to be taught. Hendrix and Metallica are the reasons I picked up a guitar. I was about 14 at the time too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.