My guitar student thinks Jimi Hendrix is terrible!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It just so happens that over the last year I have been re-discovering Hendrix. I haven't spent any headphone time on Hendrix since I was 14 year old kid. I don't hear the guitar god anymore. I hear some of the things that I missed the first time around. The subtle things he picked up off the chitlin circuit that infuse his rhythm playing for example. If you think Hendrix had terrible music etc.. I cant help you there. People like what they like, I get that... but try learning the simplest Hendrix tune and see if you can nail his vibe. Its much harder than you might first think... my list of guitar innovators of Jimi's caliber is very short. Andre Segovia, Les Paul, Django Reinhardt, Jimi Hendrix and yes Eddie V. These guys (IMO) had more influence on the world of guitar than anyone else. None of them suck even if you don't like their music. If that 14 year old has his Jimi period, good, if not its ok.

I would hope that if there is anything that 14 year old would take away from Hendrix, it would be the importance of staying away from drugs.

We get to inherit these guys legacy whether we like it or not. They have influenced and inspired more people than most of us will ever play to. They have shaped and formed the guitar world we all get to inhabit. Even if we don't happen to care for their music...

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sadly, this about sums it up.

One would need to maybe know an awful lot music history as well as theory and be versed in all cultures and styles, to distinguish exactly what an equivalent musician of today would have to do though.

I fear humanity will not be given many more musicians that leave so many other great musicians dumbfounded at the staggering new musical force we cannot (or they could not) even grasp at first listen.
    Maybe none at all.

So yeah, I'll second your question and ask again.

For those who say Hendrix wasn't great; who is today's equivalent?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    t guitar floyd, 8barlouie and awasson like this.
  3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Well ... what if I told you, that I'm +45 myself? (and thus an old geezer as well)

Exactly! :)

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

that may well be. Lots of people can probably provide exceptions.

My daughters observation has merit tho. Over another busy forum I read, which has a heavy millennial population, the hatred for Led Zeppelin from that demographic is very real and almost shocking; especially to somebody like me, who grew up with that band being large and in charge.

5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You know... I've seen enough of your posts to guess you must have been around that age so it confused me to see the post I commented on. Again, limitations of debating online.

By the way, I'll always be a slightly older geezer than you o_O

Lobomov likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Man this thread is a real bummer!
    45 is a geezer???

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Nah ... but speaking of geezers and music of youth. Here is is one I just remembered.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So what? An old geezers money is no good?

9. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

I listened to Hendrix today.

t guitar floyd and awasson like this.
  10. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Yah well I put my old geezer money down on People, Hell and Angels a couple years ago. Listened to it a couple of times, put it away, brought it out on mention in this thread. More mellow tracks near the end suited my old geezer ears thanks very much. Let's hope the millennials will be able or willing to support their artists like we did.

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just wanted to make an observation. Maybe it goes without saying. But if that was the case why do people still do it? Anyway IME whenever a post contains the words "so and so sucks" or something similar to that, it just so happens the rest of the post seems lacking of merit.
    It seems obvious to me that the main purpose of a forum such as this is to share ideas and opinions in a respectful and constructive manner. Otherwise, such a comment lacks substance and value to anyone else, and is essentially just a self gratifying waste of other people's time. Sorry if that sounds preachy. I know I'm not perfect.

12. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Condemnation without qualification, intellectual laziness, stylistic and artistic ignorance, dilettantism, uncultivated talent, these are the adornments universal to the consumer-as-critic and critic-as-artist, an epidemic not limited to any particular demographic, but more pronounced in the reverse-aristocracy of the Information Age.

The flip side can be found in the heaped-praise quote-advertisements of the latest box office releases.

Between the two extremes stretch spritely suburbia and failed glory, almost content to rustle concession candy in the grand spectacle, disassociated from the bloody blades that echo-clang for metered attention.

The casualties of the coliseum ritual serve more as vampiric pacification, a ritual sacrifice to appease the dark-art shadow pockets that toss chicken scratch and pocket change into umbrella hysteria.

Route67 and 8barlouie like this.
  13. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I'm going to stick my neck on the block - and no doubt there'll be plenty willing to take the first swing of the axe, but I'd say Steve Vai.

Route67 likes this.
  14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Steve Vai is great, but last generation. Of the young ones I really like Julian Lage. Time has ended for great guitar heroes and furthermore (unlike Vai) he isn't really rock'n'roll .. but he sure can play :)

15. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

For some kids, like myself, the trip to real jimi appreciation may take a couple of detours. I was always aware of his guitar god status, but I didn't really get his true genius until later. I had to travel through Claptonland, and take Stevie Ray Lane to find my way to Electric Lady Land.

awasson and 4pickupguy like this.
  16. RoyBGood

...not rock'n'roll eh?:

Route67 likes this.
  17. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister

nail on the head... vai has what jimi had, and very few others,,,, imagination, vision, art. srv, satriani, clapton, etc, are guitar players. they are not artist. they have created nothing, just reiterated what has been done before..

Route67 and RoyBGood like this.
  18. RoyBGood

That's why I rate him so much. Listen to his 'Fire Garden' album straight through in one go and be prepared to be dazzled and exhausted by the creativity running through it.

Route67 likes this.
  19. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar TDPRI Member

Hendrix and EVH were two guys who were completely "in the moment" for their respective generations, and thus sold millions of records. Hendrix was the apex of the psychedelic, "flower power" hippie generation, and Eddie was the apex of the braggadocio big-80's, where everything had to be bigger, faster, more in quantity.

Both guys came up with new approaches to the instrument, both guys were entertainers of the highest caliber, both guys played like they lived, and both were absolutely fantastic songwriters.

Their closest non-guitar playing peers would be guys like Sinatra, Michael Jackson.

awasson, Route67 and Elmore like this.
  20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Larry Carlton, Eric Johnson, Guthrie Trapp, Robben Ford, Mark Lettieri, Andy Timmons etc,... etc,.... (imho) are all guys that are WAY better players than Jimi. Repeat, (imho) these guys are and countless others are WAY better players than Jimi. I listen to everyone of these guys more than Jimi these days. But, who is going to say that BB King sucks because Robben Ford came along and got into blues? The point of bringing up Jimi's continued records sales was to counter the assertion that he was no longer relevant. Yes, that WAS the assertion. So, what if a 14 year old cant stand Jimi's music these days! There were plenty in 68' that couldn't stand him. Nobody HAS to agree to like Jimi's music. If a kid learns to play guitar and never visits Jimi's catalog, he'll be just fine. If he does visit Jimi's music, he could only benefit from having listened...

Admiral Akbar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.