My guitar student thinks Jimi Hendrix is terrible!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sometimes conversations/debates on a forum has its limitations... for instance, I can't make heads or tails of what this means.

Yes, judgements are subjective but the rest doesn't really make sense to me. The last bit about the monkeys being cool and listenable vs Hendrix... To each their own but that's just one opinion.

Personally, I thought the Monkeeys were cool when I was about seven years old. I could get their music and comedy then. I still jam some of their tunes from time to time just for the sake of nostalgia but for me they aren't cool. Hendrix on the other hand... Yes, Hendrix is cool, complex, raucous and sometimes sweet. I listen to Hendrix quite often; not the top 40 stuff so much any more. I listen to the stuff that didn't get radio play: Bold as Love, Somewhere, Castles made of Sand, Better wait till tomorrow, Long Hot Summer Night. I'm listening to Electric Lady Land right now.

2. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I was thinking about his influence today, and if it weren't for Jimi, the names:
    The Stooges, Pink Floyd, ELO, John Mclaughlin, Eric Johnson, SRV, Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, The Doors, Patti Smith, and countless other artists who pushed the boundaries of rock and blues to new levels and different sounds. His blowing open the doors of the genre gave all others that came after him permission-in a way-to play it the way they heard it and wanted to express it.
    A person could even say that he was responsible for the acceptance of Rap and current Rhythm and Blues. He was really one of the first African musicians that came out with music that wasn't just three chord R & R. Some of his stuff really does kind of transcend time and space in that it was years ahead of his time, and it was accepted by all races and cultures.

3. garytelecastor

Billboard magazine:

Hendrix scores his 46th entry on the Billboard 200 albums chart as Freedom: Atlanta Pop Festival starts at No. 63. The live set shifted 8,000 equivalent album units in the week ending Sept. 3, according to Nielsen Music (nearly 7,000 were pure album sales).

The Experience Hendrix/Legacy Recordings release celebrates the guitar god’s July 4, 1970 concert at the Second Atlanta International Pop Festival, where he played to an estimated 300,000-400,000 people -- the largest audience he ever played to in the U.S. (according to Legacy). An accompanying documentary film about the show, Jimi Hendrix: Electric Church, premiered Sept. 4 on Showtime. (A retail version of the movie will be released on Oct. 30.)

Hendrix has been rather prolific on the Billboard 200 in the last few years, thanks to Experience Hendrix’s licensing partnership with Legacy, which began in 2009. Some of the most notable fruits of their relationship include two top 10 albums of previously unreleased studio recordings: Valleys of Neptune (No. 4 debut and peak in 2010) and People, Hell and Angels (No. 2 in 2013).

Jimi: All By My Side DVD
    (2014)

Theatrical Performance

Domestic Box Office $340,911 Details
    International Box Office $586,163 Details
    Worldwide Box Office $927,074
    Home Market Performance
    Domestic DVD Sales
    $30,180 Details
    Domestic Blu-ray Sales $24,991 Details
    Total Domestic Video Sales $55,171

In one year alone, Jimi Hendrix, dead for 47 years, made over $1,000,000 in sales.

The Monkees had their first album chart in the top 200 of Billboard since 1968 in 2016. It sold 23,000 copies.
    So one makes a cool Million in sales and the other sells 23,000 @ let's say $10 a pop or $230000, for the first time since 68.
    Just looking at the numbers I would say that Jimi still has some fans out there.
    But here's the big surprise, I still think the Monkees are cool too. I was and am a huge fan of Michael Nesmith-friend on facebook-and his writing has some very cool images.

8barlouie and teleaddicted like this.
  4. garytelecastor

Addendum:
    Who ever thought of making their strat sound like a machine gun, and missiles and bombs exploding in 1969??????:cool:

5. garytelecastor

So I am watching George Lopez Show and the band War is playing "Me and My Baby Brother". Stu Ziff is playing a tele through a Vox AC30. Sounds almost too good.

6. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I mostly agree with this, in terms of music being a matter of personal taste, as well as the separate issue of recognition of a gifted musician.

Mechanic likes this.
  7. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

probably not terrible from a technical standpoint, but his music blows.

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm with the kid, Hendrix sounds dreadful.

9. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

He took the ball further down the field. Who has done that since as a guitar artist? EVH? Superb innovative guitarist. But not as good of a song writer and he does not sing. Jimmy Page? For me, he is the one that comes closest in terms of innovative art.

awasson likes this.
  10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Everyone is quoting recent Jimi Hendrix sales, but we all know that these are bought by old geezers aged 45+

11. awasson

You might want to take it down a notch and think about how that particular comment reads when these "old geezers" discuss topics of your interest or advise you about something you're struggling with on this website.

One of the things I've come to appreciate about TDPRI is that aside from your comment today, there is a level of respect between the members that transcends age, ethnicity, politics and social constructs. In time you'll come to find that regardless of how young and cool you think you are, time moves in one direction and you'll be the guy who's 45+.

Here's a report on one of his recent releases: http://www.nme.com/news/music/jimi-hendrix-2-19-1265567

Mid Life Crisis likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a 49-year old geezer, and am not offended by the term..... being a geezer is better than being dead. I've had plenty of opportunities for that in my younger and more stupid non-geezer days. Fools normally don't live long enough to become geezers.

8barlouie, Lobomov and awasson like this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a great thread.

I'd only like to urge all of us not to tear up a 14-year-old guitar player for any reason. Soon he'll be 27. Then he'll be 64, crick don't rise.

Route67 likes this.
  14. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol: Yeah, kind of like Latin is (the language of law, medicine, and science, and rooted in a high percentage of the words we're using).

8barlouie, Lobomov and awasson like this.
  15. awasson

I can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure nobody is tearing up the 14 year old for being 14 and not having the depth of understanding to grasp the complexities of Hendrix or at least sample the stuff he did beyond the top 40 radio over played material. Like you said, he's 14 now and as he gets older, hopefully he'll continue his studies in music and definitely his musical tastes will mature. He may never like Hendrix but at some point he'll certainly get over the "he's awful" reaction and see that musically Hendrix was a giant amongst his peers.

On a related note, what takes me by surprise on an otherwise relaxing Sunday morning is those one liner posts without context like: "his music sucks" or "he blows"...

That doesn't add the conversation in any way and seems to be just classic trolling which is weird to see on TDPRI.

To those guys I'd ask which songs suck? We might find some common ground... I've got a list of Hendrix tunes that have had way to much exposure that I'll be happy to not hear again for a long time but I can't say that for his entire catalogue. I'll dig out an album I haven't listened to in years and some forgotten song that never got air play will jump out at me and I'll hear it with new ears.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

Well, to add some perspective here, when I was a teenager I thought Hendrix was a guitar god. Today, not so much. Not only have I come to realize that there have been far better players since his heyday, but I also realized that much of the admiration I had for him was unhealthy idol worship of a fallible human being. While he did in fact break new ground and send lead guitar in a new direction (which is admirable), the Atari 2600 bridged the gap between Pong (which had an entire system dedicated to one game) and the systems of today which use a processor and are capable of playing any game by loading the data into microprocessor..... every game system you can buy today is built on the Atari 2600's history. But how many modern gamers take out an Atari 2600 and talk about how groundbreaking it was? For me, at least, listening to Hendrix is now a thing of the past. His music was memorable, but there are also commercial jingles that I remember from the 1970's. Yes, there were some great Hendrix recordings, but it's 2017. There is a bunch of unknown, underground artists waiting to be discovered.

17. awasson

I don't fault you for getting over Hendrix but don't you think that analogy is an oversimplification?

I mean there was more than just the 2600 at the time your speaking of and it was more than just Atari driving the video game and for that matter the whole home entertainment computer revolution. Everyone from RCA, MOS/Commodore, Heathkit, Atari, Mattel, Tandy, Magnavox, TI, Mits, Altair, etc... wanted a piece of the home entertainment business and that competition drove innovation. Atari just happened to get lucky that some of its competitors ran into production/time issues, had no support from the executives or ran out of budget. Your analogy works if Hendrix was one of a dozen or more Hendrixes all with the same drive and musical intuition, that all happened at the same time. That however wasn't the case... He was unparalleled at the time and really nobody stepped up to the plate until Randy Rhodes and EVH arrived on the scene.

I wasn't so caught up with gaming back then but I was an avid computer and electronics hobbyist and still have some of the early computers I built. I Remember that time well.

18. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Last summer we hired an intern from college, her favorite band is Led Zeppelin.

8barlouie and awasson like this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

One thing nobody can deny, regardless of what anyone thinks about his music or playing, he sure did look cool doing it.

awasson likes this.
  20. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

When I was 5 or 6 yrs old my favorite records were Crosstown Traffic by Hendrix and Up Around the Bend by CCR. This being the late 60's.

I've never exactly been a Hendrix fan, but I have healthy respect for his rhythm chops and his loosey goosey approach to lead guitar. A great sonic experimenter as well.

My guitar heroes in my younger days tended to be the technicians:

Django
    Al Di Meola
    John McLaughlin
    Robert Fripp

And now the current guys I listen to most recently are:

Julian Lage
    John Scofield
    Jim Campilongo

And from the past generations:

Django
    Charlie Christian
    Les Paul
    Barney Kessel
    Wes Montgomery
    Grant Green

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.