My Guitar Rants

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ted Keane, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

These are some of my guitar rants.No rants about $$.First is volume and treble knobs.What's with these?They have been the same for 100 years(or so).You get the same plastic knobs on a expensive guitar as you do on a cheap guitar.What's with that?And of course you also get a plastic switch tip that is the same for 100 years(or so).Next-strap buttons.C'mon the only change have been strap locks.Also,they use the same cheap buttons on $$ guitars as they do on cheap guitars.Gretsch changed strap buttons and switch tip.And the guitar companies could improve string trees.Graphtech makes good one,but where are the guitar companies?And pickguard screws.They make gold,silver,and black.What about white?Or other colors?That's it for now from this grumpy old hippie.Feel free to add yours.I'd be interested.

Chas3rd likes this.
  2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Gibson bad.
    [​IMG]

Gretsch knobs, 5 ply guard and Gotoh tailpiece good.
    [​IMG]

Agile bad.
    [​IMG]

Gretsch knobs and Duncan pick ups good.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    buster poser likes this.
  3. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

6A1444EC-AFE3-4D97-8AA7-BB896F071F63.jpeg

Dismalhead and Happy Enchilada like this.
  4. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's a beautiful Paul. Studio? What are the specs? Gorgeous color. Really like how clean it is without the binding.

Beachbum likes this.
  5. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

"While my guitar gently rants." About nothing.

There is a world of knob choices for guitars. Go on Amazon and type "guitar knobs" into the search bar. You'll be amazed. Metal, plastic, abalone, wood ...

You can get switch tips in various metals as well. Or my favorite, old-timey "top hat" knobs like on Teles from the '60s.

There are new strap button designs. One has a button shaped like a cat's eye that holds much better than the conventional round kind. Another is more mushroom shaped with an oversized button that is harder to take in and out, but holds better. And straplocks come in at least 3 flavors I've used.

GraphTech saddles, nuts, and string trees are a always a good upgrade idea - they come in black and ivory. They make TunaMatic bridge inserts from the same material if you want to go that far.

String Tree likes this.
  6. boxocrap

boxocrap Tele-Meister

nice guitar...i agree on the knobs but what i would like to see for my LP is green jade tuning pegs made of jade wouldn't have to be china jade there is jade in british columbia canada that is a darker colour ( hehe kanuck spelling) and has nice veins in it.

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Thank you much. It's an 08, weight relieved with a 50's neck. One of my favorite guits. Oh, and 490 series pickups.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

First, if you don’t have chicken head knobs that’s on you.

Next, if your Duesenberg didn’t come with threaded strap retainers that’s on you too.

Also, kind of an afterthought, metal doesn’t come in white but there’s nothing stopping you from buying white coated screws.

Get chicken knobs. Quit messing around.

Deeve and Dan German like this.
  9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I have very few complaints.

Okay, here's one: Fender (USA) reissue maple neck finishes. I mean, it's neat that it's lacquer but does the finish really need to be 1/8" thick or so on the neck? The ones with vintage type wire are the worst, you have all finish with a hair of wire sticking up. I feel like I'm playing the finish, not the guitar.

PhredE likes this.
  10. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Holic

the location of the pickup selector on a Les Paul makes it a false positive for a human nipple. eww.

11. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

Yeah! I have an '08 Studio. Like yours, it's weight-relieved, 50s neck, 490 pups. I love it.

And like you, I had to modify it. It's a plaintop in heritage cherry sunburst, but it came with black plastics. A crime against humanity! I put on cream pickup rings, gold bell knobs with position indicators, and an amber switch tip. I ended up discarding the poker chip. Oh, and a blank TRC. It's a Faded Maple Top, with less coats of nitro, so you can see where the finish has worn away where my arm rests. Yes, that's real wear, not 'relic' wear!

lp.jpg

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Clown bursts. WTH??? Just stop it. Don’t encourage them any longer.

The answer to guitar knobs? Witch hats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.