My guitar is stuck in Reverb Limbo

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mysticguitar, Jul 13, 2020.

1. mysticguitar

mysticguitar TDPRI Member

I'm trying to sell a $700 Fender Player Series Tele on Reverb for $530, I'm selling it because my Hobbit hands have to work to hard to play a 25.5 inch scale length. It's in Mint condition, I get ridiculous offeres $350, $400. Why don't people want to pay $530 for a $700 guitar?

2. demon

demon Tele-Meister

It's only a $530 guitar if someone will pay $530 for it. No judgement about the guitar, that's just how the market works.

My guess is the offers you receive are the start of the negotiation, not the end.

3. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

Times are hard for a lot of people right now. If the need to sell is not urgent, just let it sit.

demon, boredguy6060 and stantheman like this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar pricing psychology. It may not be right, but this will explain your predicament:

Used Mexican Standards have run +/-$350 for most of the last 15 years or so. They're finally creeping up to $400 and people seem to be asking $450 as a starter price, and most of us used to the older price balk at that. You're trying to sell one for even more than that. I know the "Player Series" is supposed to be different per Fender; but it's just a Standard with a new name, a couple of small upgrades, and a big price increase in most people's eyes.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

You will always get lowball offers. Ignore them. That said, your asking price may be a tad high. If it lists for $699, someone can probably negotiate to buy it brand new from the store for $625 or $650. So they'd save $100 buying from you, but they would have to pay your shipping charge, which might be another $50. So for only a bit more than your price, someone can get one brand new, with free shipping, a warranty, and the ability to return it. You're probably not gonna get a buyer at $530. Check the Reverb price history for comparison. But I'm guessing someone will buy it at $450-500. It's up to you how hard you want to hold the line, and if you want to negotiate with the low ballers.

willie and Hammerhead like this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

If $530 is the lowest you’re willing to go, just don’t allow offers on your guitar. That way you won’t be frustrated by low ballers. It will likely take longer to sell, but you will probably get the price you want. I always have a bottom line selling price on my items. I have refused offers that are $10 from my bottom line selling price only to sell it at my price a day or two later.

demon likes this.
  7. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but the cold hard truth is that the guitar is worth $400 to $450 used. I would not pay $530 for a used Player. Especially when I have to pay shipping as well.

KT89 likes this.
  8. mysticguitar

I guess, thanks

9. mysticguitar

Ok

10. mysticguitar

Even Mint condition?

11. mysticguitar

Your right....I'll see where $500 gets me.

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

New guitars add an extra chunk of money vs the same thing used.

Specific FSR colors of that tele will command $550+ forever.
    But, standard colors people will shoot downward.

You're in a hurry, you lose money. You're patient, you will get at least $500. You put condition as mint and list at $599, see you offers start at $450 and then counter with $530.

13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I’ve only sold a handful of stuff on Reverb, only one guitar. But when I’m going to sell it, I look at how many of that model are listed in roughly similar shape. If there are quite a number of them, as I’d think there would be of a Player Series tele, I look at how they’re priced. If I want to sell the guitar, I price it at or very very near the bottom of the range. A lot of stuff sits for a long time on Reverb, and if you want a consumer level guitar to stand out, you gotta do it with price. What YOU think it’s worth doesn’t matter, what potential buyers and competing sellers thinits worth is what will determine what it sells for.

I sold a PRS Silver Sky a couple months ago - there were a SLEW of those guitars for sale, both new and used. They sell for $2300 new, but you can sometimes find them for less. I bought mine for $1950, new but a couple model years old. WhenI went to sell mine, the lowest price for that model that looked like it was in anywhere near the condition. I’ve was in was selling for $1750. Many were selling for between $1850 and $1900. I listed mine for $1750 and got a couple lowball offers within an hour or so, and then it sold for full price later in the day I listed it. If I’d listed it for $1850, it would probably still be on Reverb... I’d basically rented the guitar for 6 months for $200. I was happy with that.

-Ray

Marc Morfei likes this.
  14. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Don't forget the sales tax. And shipping.

Almost everyone has to pay sales tax now, and buyers are starting to figure taxes in to the price they're willing to pay.

That $530 guitar is now $570.
    (Multiply the price by 1.0775)

If you're lucky like me :cry:, all the buyers are 3,000 miles away, so it's going to be $50 to ship.

Now it's a $620 guitar.
    A $620 used guitar. Brand new is only another $70.
    What would YOU do in this situation?

Unless you bought that Player for $300 or less, you probably won't make enough to buy a decent burger after seller's fees and shipping. Just like cars, buying a new guitar means it loses half its value as soon as you pay for it.
    Also, many folks are like you -- they want to try it out, and if they don't fall in love, they want to sell it and get their money back out of it. They won't, either. But, it's a nice hobby.:)

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently, right now that is not a $700 guitar.

Ebidis likes this.
  16. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Problem is live music is pretty much over...so if no one is playing, no one will be buying. I wouldn't buy a vintage guitar now at half value.

17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

QUOTE="mysticguitar, post: 9967456, member: 152842"]I'm trying to sell a $700 Fender Player Series Tele on Reverb for $530...It's in Mint condition... Why don't people want to pay $530 for a $700 guitar?[/QUOTE]

How much does it weigh? Anything over about 7.5 pounds may take longer to sell, but be patient. Someone who wants a $699 Player Series Tele WILL pay $530 for one that's in MINT CONDITION. ;)

Now, that said, you need to understand that, with some patience, one can grab a BRAND NEW Player Series Tele, during any major retailer's sale promotion, for $573-594, BUT you probably won't know how much it weighs - and weigh matters to many of us! ;) If weight doesn't matter, then one may be willing to pay a tad more for a brand new, factory warrantied Tele. :cool:

My advice: Be patient, Grasshopper! o_O

QUOTE="mysticguitar, post: 9967456, member: 152842"]I'm selling it because my Hobbit hands have to work to hard to play a 25.5 inch scale length. [/QUOTE]

Okay, mysticguitar, if you have local access to a major retailer, perhaps you ought to have actually PLAYED a Player Series Tele BEFORE plopping down the ducats to buy one; that said, not all is lost. Consider it a valuable lesson learned. :rolleyes:

18. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I dont sell guitars on Reverb anymore unless it's for local pickup only. I won't ship. Too many people out there scamming, have unrealistic expectations, and play games and it seems like Reverb and PayPal always side with the buyer regardless.

If I were you I'd just list it locally on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace and be patient. Reverb and PayPal will gouge you with fees, and you may also have to pay for some part of the shipping and in the end you will usually come out ahead just selling it locally on Craigslist for less than your asking price but more than you'd make on Reverb after they take their fees.

Just be patient and like others have said, a guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and what it may be worth to you or what you think it may be worth may not necessarily be what it's worth to the market. Player Series Fenders are probably more like $400 used, and you can easily pick up a brand new one for around $600 new most of the time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  19. mysticguitar

Well Reverb has been nice enough to raise their rates in August so I sold the guitar for $490. The guitar is too much work for these Hobbit hands so it's not worth that much to meame,I can use the sale for a Fender Duosonic HS in a nice Sierra Sunburst.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Did you check out their pricing guide to price it? You may be fine but there are always lowballers, or you may be high.
    Date Condition Sold Price
    7/7/2020 Excellent $425
    7/6/2020 Very Good $375
    7/6/2020 Excellent $375
    7/2/2020 Excellent $400
    6/29/2020 Excellent $449
    6/25/2020 Very Good $425
    6/24/2020 Very Good $350
    6/16/2020 Very Good $450
    6/16/2020 Very Good $450
    5/28/2020 Excellent $400

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    KT89 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.