1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Guitar Center visit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I went to unload an old MIDI footpedal I'd owned for years and years and only rarely used - a Behringer FCB1010. Actually a pretty good product, built like a tank. Took QUITE some time to complete the transaction, but while I was there:

- guitar and bass walls looked well stocked
    - lots of stuff in the drum section
    - keyboards and synths, I'm not sure what the latest stuff is but they didn't have much beyond a bunch of digital keyboards, one Moog semi modular analog and a big Roland drum machine.
    - the Yamaha electric I sold them a few months back is still on the wall in the Used section, still dusty, tone knob pot still wobbly (looks like the nut just needs to be tightened)
    - There is a black Fender acoustic guitar on a stand near the checkout with the top caved in. No ironic sign or anything, so not sure what the point of that was
    - A young lady (late teens?) accompanied by maybe her mom and aunt looked like she was buying her first electric guitar and right chuffed about it too. That was good to see.
    - one guy of my elderly persuasion walked out in disgust after not getting the attention he so craved
    - Guy said "if I buy this guitar can I get new strings on it?" - they agreed

The half dozen employees I saw were running around and dealing with 3 customers at a time. I had some time to kill so I just took a chill pill. Got my $45 and bought 4 packs of acoustic guitar strings.

2. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

I was in a”local” GC a couple days ago unloading a lot of stuff. Was a weekday, earlier in the day so it didn’t take long. Maybe 3 other customers, but the walls were definitely back to being full of guitars. Used section was pretty non existent, but the new inventory was definitely there.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  3. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

The busted guitar is there for them to sell you pro coverage. Rubes and parents fall for it.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

You're in a wealthy area so I guess that's where the inventory is going to.

I haven't been to the one the Athens, GA but, based on what they list online, it's kind of thin there.

5. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I once saw a guy try to sell some parents buying only a Snark clip tuner a protection plan. I mean really giving them the pitch. I know that they have to do it, but it was so weird.

For kicks, I asked a guy how much it would cost to cover the R8 I bought for three years. It was something well over $1000. I went and got it $0 deductible personal article insurance for $65 a year. I forgot what it would cost to cover that tuner, but you might as well have bought another tuner. At least the parents weren't buying the spiel.

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Was that the San Jose GC? That was my favorite one in the Bay Area, when I lived there, before moving to Hawaii. But, I'm from Redwood City, so, if I still lived there, I'd probably go to the one in San Mateo near Hillsdale, which wasn't there yet when I moved here. I bought most of my gear from Gelb, but I can't imagine it's the same since Kevin retired and sold Gelb to Haight Ashbury Music's owner, who then closed HA and focused all his attention on Gelb. Is the SJ GC still on Stevens Creek, down the road from Guitar Showcase?

Digital Larry likes this.
  7. DougM

It's only natural that they would funnel the inventory to the most successful branches, which I assume would be MF first, and then the GC stores that move the most product.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

In the past, Athens GA has been kind of interesting since it's a big college town. New stock is usually pretty good at the start of the school year and around Christmas. Then, about the time school ends for the year, a lot of used gear "mysteriously" shows up. My best used buys there have been in that time period.

9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Stevens Creek Auto Row indeed! Technically speaking it's Santa Clara. I bought two used amps there in the past year.

A new GC opened a few years back near Almaden and 85. The one in Capitola closed years ago.

I haven't been to Showcase in awhile. They have/had one heck of a vintage collection behind glass. Far as I know it's still there but they closed the separate rental/consignment shop a few years back.

DougM likes this.
  10. DougM

I never bought much from Showcase, but I sure loved looking at the vintage gear there. I remember a black Duo Jet they had that wasn't that much by today's standards, but it was a fortune to a poor Hippie like me back then. I also remember an L5 solidbody at Starving Musician on El Camino in Santa Clara, and it was the same story. It was $600, which would be a steal now, but it was also a fortune to me then, lol.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Speaking of GC, I just got cold called by a guy who informed me he was my personal sales dude for Musicians Friend. I'm kinda like "Who?" "Yeah, I'm SoandSo." I'm your sales (whatever he was)" "WHO do you work for?" "Musicians Friend. Are you playing much lately? Need anything?" "Uuuuhh... not really. I'm good." "Oh. Uh... okay. Well... if you need anything, let me know." "Uh... okay." Guess who I'm not calling? Ever.

12. DougM

That's your loss, 'cause I've gotten a lot of discounts, price matches, and other perks from my guy at MF, and I don't have to call. I just Email him.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I lost nothing. They didn't carry the quad of '72 G12 speakers I bought. They also didn't have the empty '72 4X12 cab I bought. They also didn't have the '53 Champ Amp chassis I bought. What am I missing out on again?

14. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

I made the mistake of going to the one on Cherry recently. They were nice and helpful but pickins were slim. At least they were a couple weeks ago. Showcase is still around but I haven't been in for a while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.