My great experience with an Epiphone EB0

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I was just at Guitar Center and decided to try out a bass. Immediately said no to the P and J basses, the cutaways make it hard for me to play (im a lefty), and they're really generic anyways. No to the Rickenbackers, Jaguar basses, and Jacksons. It came down to a semihollow Hagstrom and an Epi EB0. I picked the EB0 and proceeded to have the most fun I've had at a guitar center in forever.

I was just tearing it up, getting into the groove, and having fun. A couple friends who were with me got on drums and guitar and we played Whipping Post for a while, and I suddenly understood for the first time just how much I love playing the bass.

As soon as I sell off some tubes and gear, I'm gonna get a used EB3 and a bass amp, start practicing, and I'll see if I can switch to bass on a couple songs with my band in a little while.

I really don't see how so many people hate the EB series, they're a lot of fun and super easy for guitarists to get into.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I can’t play fast anymore so I’ve really doubled down on my bass playing. I agree with you. It’s a blast. It’s done a lot of good for my rhythm chops.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
I was just at Guitar Center and decided to try out a bass. Immediately said no to the P and J basses, the cutaways make it hard for me to play (im a lefty), and they're really generic anyways. No to the Rickenbackers, Jaguar basses, and Jacksons. It came down to a semihollow Hagstrom and an Epi EB0. I picked the EB0 and proceeded to have the most fun I've had at a guitar center in forever.

I was just tearing it up, getting into the groove, and having fun. A couple friends who were with me got on drums and guitar and we played Whipping Post for a while, and I suddenly understood for the first time just how much I love playing the bass.

As soon as I sell off some tubes and gear, I'm gonna get a used EB3 and a bass amp, start practicing, and I'll see if I can switch to bass on a couple songs with my band in a little while.

I really don't see how so many people hate the EB series, they're a lot of fun and super easy for guitarists to get into.
I agree! I have the Epi EB-3L and it is a great bass to play. Unlike the EB-0, be advised that the Epi EB-3L is 34” long scale. The neck is sweet, though; it’s easy to get around!
FD31F8F0-C67C-4722-9EB2-94B286C188CF.jpeg

Here it is at a hospital staff luncheon, Chinle, AZ several years back…

CBAB5A58-3EF0-495D-8D6B-B2CFE464E117.jpeg

At least I had the shade!

Edit: serious neck-dive! Be advised- I reflexively hold the neck when I play it.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I liked the EB-3 I tried a few years ago but agree that it was pretty neck-divey. I’ve played EB-0s a few times at GC and thought they felt fun but it was always when some kid was playing “Crazy Train” with a bunch of flange/chorus/delay/vocoder or some such and I couldn’t get a handle on whether I could pull a bright or barky enough tone out of the single neck humbucker (at least without starting a volume war in the store).

I love the simple look and configuration, but as a P guy I’m not sure how I’d relate to that pickup arrangement. Maybe one day I’ll get a chance to pick one up when it’s quiet in there.
Maybe someone will post a clip of some EB playing?

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire

I love the simple look and configuration, but as a P guy I’m not sure how I’d relate to that pickup arrangement. Maybe one day I’ll get a chance to pick one up when it’s quiet in there.
Maybe someone will post a clip of some EB playing?

60s Gibson EB-3

70-71 slothead Gibson EB-3

Gunny

Tele-Holic
I drove from out of town to check out (and planned to purchase) a Danelectro bass from a store that sells vintage gear. I spotted a slightly used Gibson SG bass for the same price and I certainly made the right choice. The SG is short scale (majority of my basses are short scale now) and is essentially the same as the EB-0 and EB-3 except for the bridge mini bucker (which wasn't a selling point for me). The point is that the small body and short neck are a delight to use plus the tone is all there too. The fun factor is off-scale high. The light weight is another bonus. I don't give a rat's behind about neck dive. I've had, and still own, Epi and Gibson basses and I just hold the darn thing up with my left hand and carry on. My personal choice for an EB3 would be a short scale not the EB3L but it's your call.

NHFlyCaster

Tele-Meister
I just got an Ibanez Gsr200 at GC for pretty cheap to play with Rocksmith. It's cool on the 1st run. Now there's 2x the songs for me to butcher. Still need a bass combo amp - something cheap, maybe Fender, Ampeg, or Peavey.