My Great American Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chillman, Aug 20, 2015.

1. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Hey TDPRI, this fall I am doing something I've always wanted to do, and I finally decided to drop everything and do it, come hell or high water. I have the travel bug from years of traveling in bands, but all of my bands have dried up this year. So I quit my mind-numbing office job and I'm setting out for the open road.

I'll be traveling all over the states and I'd like to visit as many cool guitar shops, or really any guitar-related places as are worth seeing. I'm interested in the vintage and boutique industry but I just want to see anything cool and meet some interesting people.

Where should I go? Shops, factories, workshops, museums, those kinds of places are what I'd love to see and talk to people about. I'm open to any suggestions.

My projected basic route should take me from the southeast into Appalachia, then through Ohio and Michigan on my way to Chicago, then west through the snow belt, Dakotas, and northern Rockies, then farther west to Seattle, and all down the west coast. Then NE towards Denver, east through the plains, south to Austin, then New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, and Atlanta.

2. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Cleveland - Rock n Roll Hall of Fame
    Lansing MI - Elderly Instruments
    Chicago - Chicago Music Exchange and blues clubs
    Bozeman MT - Gibson Acoustic Factory (Do they do yours?)
    LaCrosse WI - Dave's Guitar Shop

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fur peace ranch, wildwood music, mikes music. ..sweetwater. ...those are ohio and indiana

4. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Nazareth, Pennsylvania:

[​IMG]

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Corona, CA (Fender)
    El Cajon, CA (Taylor)
    Phoenix, AZ (Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery)
    Hartland, WI (J Hale Music - archtops)
    Bozeman, MT (Music Villa)

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

If you get close to Fort Collins, get me a ring. I'm about half way between Denver and Cheyenne, WY off I-25. At the least, go to Louisville and check out Wildwood Guitars.

7. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Try the Experience Museum in Seattle , Washington. Shows the music seen and Jimi there.

8. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Hi chillman. I just want to congratulate you now on what sounds like is going to be one amazing trip. I count myself extremely lucky to have travelled quite a bit of your country, mostly by rail but road too. Memories I will treasure for as long as the grey matter holds together. I do remember a great guitar shop in Athens GA. Pretty much everything in there looked vintage from what I remember. It was certainly unlike any guitar shop I've been to in the UK. The owner was really friendly and happy to talk even though it was clear I didn't have the funds or the room in my rucksack to be making any kind of serious purchase. I remember the guy saying that he often had UK bands passing through and picking up a new guitar or two on the way. This was 20 years or so ago. Any Georgia natives know the place I'm talking about? Anyhow. Have a blast. As Kerouac said, "Go west!"

9. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the encouragement. I've been to a couple of those places (I refer to Chicago Music Exchange as heaven), heard of a few more, and am looking up the rest now!

PGTips I have played in Athens a bunch of times but never heard of such a shop. I'm definitely following Kerouac's advice, as you quoted. Big Sur in particular is my favorite place on earth so far. I've lived in the southeast all my life but I am certainly looking west these days.

10. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Deadwood, SD
    Casper, WY
    Jackson Hole, WY

11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Lots of cool stuff to see in Nashville. Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, the Ryman Auditorium, Robert's Western World, The Hermitage, Johnny Cash Museum and way more.

I'd stop at as many Hard Rock Cafes as I could find along the way as well. Lots of iconic guitars to see and many of them with autographs (the food's pretty good too)...Enjoy your trip!

12. JBAudio

JBAudio TDPRI Member

St. Paul, Minnesota: Willie's American Guitars

13. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

These are definitely on the list. I'm really looking forward to the Northern Rockies and surrounding areas.

14. LeeVegas

LeeVegas Tele-Meister

Sun Studios in Memphis is an pretty awesome little tour. If you have time there (I didn't) check out Stax records as well.

15. dlb1001

dlb1001 Tele-Meister

Chicago Store in Tucson...never been in the place, though.
    Slightly off topic, I was talking to a fellow band mate and he started telling me about his cross country tour.
    He had just gotten out of high school so a buddy and him jumped in a pickup truck. He said they hit all of the states and even got busted in FL for stealing gas from a farmer's storage tank, in front of a cop! The cop threw in jail for a few days then came in front of the judge. The judge decided that they learned their lesson and let them go then told them never to come back his town again!
    The craziest stunt they pulled off was stealing a Mickey Mouse flag, when they visited Disney World. The place had just opened so they went in to check it out. At closing time, the two were filing out with the rest of the crowd then they saw the flag. So, while security wasn't watching, they sneaked off to the alley that led them to a boat that had the flag on its mast. They got up on top of the boat and laid down flat to avoid being seen. Then, they slowly lowered down the flag and got out of the park.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

That sounds like a great theme.. I'll be watching this thread closely to see what stops you decide to make. My big road trip in 2011 was cut short in Texas when I had a mishap. Ended up spending two months at a physical rehab facility in Austin then another couple months in Killeen with my daughters fam while I learned how to walk again.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nothing to do with music, except that "life" with an acoustic in your hands has EVERYTHING to do with music...

Follow the volcanos from Lassen in the south, up past Shasta, all the way north of Ranier, to Glacier and Baker...

See how many hot springs you can find along the way.

18. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Chicago Store USED to.be a weird musical mecca, a never know what you're gonna find, never know who you're gonna see kinda place. A dirty, crowded candy store. About six years ago I went home and headed to check it out, only to find it all cleaned out, full of Epis and Squiers. Now it has all the musical mojo of your sub-average Walmart.

It broke my heart.

But if you go through BOISE hit Doyle's Broadway Music. He and his wife Kathy are first class, and his little shop has all sorts of interesting gear and people. He's honest, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.