my great '58

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by zane, Mar 25, 2015.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have yet to figure out why Fender's necks on many new guitars almost seemed bleached white or with virtually no tint. Perhaps they think that the lacquer will darken over time naturally. I will say that both of my 64 AV's have at least enough tint to them that it looks natural. The White Blonde which is almost a year old has turned a little.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Do you hang yours, or do they live in cases? As far as I can tell from my old pics, the neck on my '58, which I got in November 2013, and which lives in it's case when not being played, hasn't changed color yet. It does look darker than the OP's new one, though. So maybe it has...

3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

They are clear nitro. That was my issue with the old ones the tint in the nitro. Any darkness you see on the new ones is the difference in maple from one to another or personal cameras picking up darkness.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The white blonde has stayed out of its case quite a bit as has a 4 year old sonic blue CS NOS 50s Tele. The neck on it has also darkened a bit.
    I seem to recall someone posting that if you leave your Tele exposed to sunlight (like through a window) it will speed the aging.

5. zane

zane Tele-Afflicted

the '58 sounds a bit thinner than the '52...but it's a very musical twangy thinner, if that makes sense ...the neck is a little thinner than the '52 neck, but still comfortable to me...especially since the way I play has changed since I picked up playing bass (not really a hand wrapped around the neck guy anymore)... still don't know if I could bond with the thin "C" on the 60's necks...

6. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you sure they're not tinted at all? They certainly don't look as white as some necks I've seen. But then I haven't seen any of the new PV's in real life.

My MIM 50's had a VERY orange neck - actually a bit too much for my taste. It crashed a bit with the greyish-white Blonde body.

The neck on my 2004 '52RI was somewhat tinted too, but it matched the body color and didn't contrast very much with that.

Have you noticed that on many b/w photos from the 50's, the neck of a "Blackguard" in fact seems to be darker than the body color? They were hardly tinted, so I guess they would have to be somewhat darkened by the yellowing of the nitro. That, and dirt probably.;)

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, or fluorescent lighting, like my Thinline AV that I just purchased NEW, that had been kicking around the shop since 2011. I'm not sure what the neck would have looked like factory-fresh, but it's like syrup now. Delicious.

[​IMG]

8. Telemarkman

I love that color!

Definitely not "orange", just a bit darkened/ambered. And I DO love syrup ... ;)

9. FredDairy

Here are two PV '52s. Outside next to two Allparts I had finished in poly with no tint. They look darn near the same. I'm going to guess there is no tint in the new nitro for the necks.

[​IMG]

10. zane

zane Tele-Afflicted

"tinted neck" use to be in the descriptions of the "old" AV's back when I bought the 2 different 52's I had in the early 2000's ... It's not now doesn't bother me in the least... I'd just as soon my new guitar look like a new guitar

11. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Interesting that the decal placement on the headstock is different...:confused:

12. FredDairy

That's actually period correct. It would be interesting if they were in the same spot. :lol:

13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good lookin'.

14. kaiserthegreat

kaiserthegreat Tele-Meister

Gorgeous pair, love it, HNGD! I'd love to have the same thing, except I think I'd go '52 and '64.

"They are perfect but here's everything I changed." :p Just giving you a hard time, this cracked me up!

Are these bridges something no longer offered by Rutters? I don't see them on the website anywhere.

15. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I tend to prefer the tinted necks. I've seen some Fender necks that are way too pale for me. I think that it's more correct on the 70's models, during the Age of Polyester finishes.

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I would bet thats the saddles. The reason i say that is i kinda liked the steel saddles on one of my classic series teles so i figured why not get some better steel saddles from a USA tele. So i found a set of AV pure vintage 58 saddles on ebay and bought them. They stayed on the guitar about 2 seconds ! The guitar because extremely thin sounding. Yet it's actually a very fat and full sounding tele.

17. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

didn't know that...:cool:

18. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

Are they really all nitro or poly coated with nitro top...

19. Telemarkman

It's the placement of the string tree that determines where the decal is located.

The early 50's Blackguards had a round (disc shaped) string tree that aligned approximately with the G string tuning post.
    In 1956 Fender changed the string tree to the socalled "butterfly" type, that from 1957 aligned appr. with the A string tuning post. Then the free space on the headstock would determine the placement of the decal.

According to an email to one of our members from a Fender rep, they have a poly pore filler (only ash bodies) and a thin poly sealer coat. Color coats and top coats are thin nitro.
    The poly sealer is thinner than on all previous models including the Thin Skins.

Fender has never used a 100% nitro finish, even if a lot of folks think so. But don't worry; the finish on the PV series will wear at least as fast the original 50's and 60's finishes.;)

20. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

There is just something about those white / blond or whatever you want to call it finishes that I never get tired of looking at .................

Gary

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.