My Gilmour Box

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Jake's Dad, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Jake's Dad

Jake's Dad TDPRI Member

Just finished this one up yesterday. The box was an ebay purchase (art by Justin Landers, www.totheneck.com) - kind of shameful to punch all those holes in it.
    [​IMG]

The guts are a MadBean Hipster (Fuzz Face), a GuitarPCB Muff'n (Big Muff Pi Ram's Head variant) with selectable clipping and high/low pass filters, and a MadBean Zero Point Micro (delay) all stitched together with GuitarPCB's 3PDT boards.
    [​IMG]

Even with some pretty inept input it produces pretty credible David Gilmour-ish sounds. It's going to take some time to find all the special sounds this thing will generate - especially since I keep getting sucked into cascading scales with the Zero Point.

Chuck

2. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

awesome, i like when a pedal has a lot of fiddley knobs and such.

3. steve440

steve440 Tele-Meister

Fine work there. A pedal board in a box:)

4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

This I like!

5. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Very Very Nice!

If this gets you in the David Gilmour neighborhood at all tone wise, it's quite an acomplishement.

6. Jake's Dad

Jake's Dad TDPRI Member

If you listened to Atom Heart Mother on 8-track with the windows down, spent a lot of time working around large diesel engines and shooting firearms I sound a lot like David Gilmour - with broken fingers, playing a Kay through a bad amp.:lol:

7. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

Very nice

8. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

This is very nice.

Did you do the complete separate kits ?
    There are redundant coupling caps, pulldown resistors and hum filters

What does the (I suppose) Fuzz switch on the far left do ?

9. Jake's Dad

Jake's Dad TDPRI Member

The only common pieces for all the effects are in input and out put jacks and the 9v DC jack. I'm clever enough to put three effects in a box but figuring out how to get them to share components is way beyond me.

The far left effect is the Zero Point Micro delay (the fuzz is that tiny postage stamp sized board on the left in the gut shot and right of the face shot). The toggle is a modulation control for a fixed rate and depth setting which can be varied by socketing two of the resistors. The Zero Point Micro is the simplest of the three versions of the Zero Point and is designed to go in one of those tiny 1590A boxes - Zero Point DD uses two of the PT2399 ICs but doesn't have a modulation control and the Zero Point SDX also with two PT2399s offers 4 repeat modes and modulation but take up way more space in the box.

Here's a sorry excuse for a video demo:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  10. luckett

luckett Banned

11. Jake's Dad

Jake's Dad TDPRI Member

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty cool Daddy-O
    I'm working on a similar project with three FX in the same size box, except OD / EQ-Boost / Reverb, with a bipolar supply all on a single board. Summertime really slows down projects like these, but I'm about half done. A Gilmour box is a nice direction to go if you can get some good sound out of it, all in one pedal. One cable in, one cable out. Mine has extra looping jacks between FX for expansion.

13. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

That Zero point micro delay sounds exactly like what I'd need for my 4-in-1 box project. I don't need modulation though so I might leave that part out.

14. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Looks pretty dope, congrats Chuck!

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

That's just sick! (And I mean that in the best possible way). I have a big box that I want to put a chorus and phaser in, but there's probably room for a trem as well. You're giving me ideas. And that can be expensive!

16. Jake's Dad

Jake's Dad TDPRI Member

That, my friend, is the true danger of these boards.:twisted: I started the Gilmour after some discussion in the GuitarPCB forums. In the process of building the thing I played around with other possible options in front of the Zero Point like Mammoth and Zenith clones in place of the Fuzz Face and Muff clones. The possibilities are endless.

Chuck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.