1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My GFS Paulownia build review

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Leonardocoate, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I had to try the Paulownia body and the tele bridge lipstick PU, What the hell I might as well do a complete build. The neck and body where from the clearance section.
    • the body is super light with a brilliant grain pattern. I thought the wood would be fragile to work with but screws hold very snug and the body seems rugged enough (6 layers of poly). It could be dented easily before the poly.
    The Bridge PU cavity needed to be further from the neck to get the intonation. I just chopped off half the bridge and moved it back and screwed the pu into the cavity
    • the neck has a twist to it but I made it work. I knew the neck was twisted when I bought it. It fit perfect
    • I like the pu! Very clear not much low range. Output is compromised because of the distance from the strings. I will fix it someday
    • the Pots seem flimsy but they work just fine
    • the tuners also work perfect and seem pretty solid. Pleasantly surprised for the cost
    • the pick guard is a backlite guard that I got from StewMac

I really like playing this guitar. It’s very loud unplugged. It has become the axe that I Pick up and noodle around on for either finger picking or flat picking. It stays in tune. I have had many unsolicited compliments about it. I think it looks cool
    If you are considering the Paulownia wood my recommendation is to go for it. Glad I did. Cheap enough experiment
    BDA21ED6-5B81-4081-8D65-D854CF63C33F.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. Leonardocoate

I wanted to add: Weighs less than 4 pounds

don and That Cal Webway like this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I also built a guitar out of Pawlawania and I have been very happy.
    It is my number one bass and the lightness is the major factor, plus it sounds great.

it does dent easily (nitro finish) but it has kind of aged naturally as I have played it the last few years.

Leonardocoate likes this.
  4. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

I have a couple of teles with GFS paulownia bodies I assembled in 2012. They continue to delight! Both have a distinct resonance unplugged. One has a delightful tone unplugged, very vocal. I put Wilde pickups in one and it still sounds great. The GFS pickups didn't age well in comparison and they are about to come out.

What I came to add was that these bodies haven't reliced at all. They are both new looking. I only use them around the house, though.

don and Leonardocoate like this.
  5. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Built this paisley tele with a GFS pawlonia body and mostly Squier parts a couple years ago for Elvis tribute shows. Have since upgraded bridge p/u to a Seymour Duncan. Got a 4-way switch, pop-up series/parallel switch for the bridge and an in/out phase toggle. Thing rocks & looks great on stage.

[​IMG]

6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Cool rig, nice job! I like the finish.

don likes this.
  7. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

The finish Is awesome! Really asks to be picked up and player to me.

The idea of a lipstick esquire intrigues... Tell(y) us about the plugged tones.

don and Leonardocoate like this.
  8. Leonardocoate

It has a very clean tone. Not a lot of lows. Chimey but not twangy. Not a very high out put. I need to get longer mounting screws and longer springs to get the PUP closer to the strings. That could change the sound altogether. Surprisingly low noise, but high gain situation are iffy. Stereo chorus through my Roland sounds really good. Over all it sounds great ,but most importantly, different from anything else I have, so it make me play differently. It has been a great experiment

don likes this.
  9. Leonardocoate

Thank-you!

10. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

I really dig that finish. Just when you think you've seen every variety something comes along and surprises you.

I live in a costal/beachy town and a lot of the tables in bars have this white blond, semi-transparent finish on them. It looks a bit like a lime wash but maybe a bit thinner. This looks like that but with some colour through it. I always thought that'd look on a guitar and you've proved that.

Ron C and Old Plank like this.
  11. Leonardocoate

Thanks!....That is what I was going for. Very simple: Home Depot Varathane stain Vintage Aqua. I started with a MinWax wood conditioner to avoid splotches then I used a foam brush for the stain(brush with the grain). Once it dried I used a rotary sander until the wood started to show through. I worked the edges to give it a border. Then my daughter stopped by and said it looked awesome and that I should stop sanding before I mess it up. Of course I listened and sprayed on about 7 layers of semi gloss poly

Veitchy and Ron C like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.