My Gear Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by NiMo, Jun 13, 2021.

1. NiMo

NiMo TDPRI Member

Long time six-string guitarist and limited experience on bass. I recently purchased a Fender Rumble 200 (15" speaker) and a Sterling Stingray Sub HH. I exchanged the Sub for a G&L Tribute JB2 which I like much more so far.

Between the bass and amp this is the biggest purchase ($900) I've made on gear in decades. I've read a lot of positive reviews about both which help influence my decision. However, I only tried out two Rumble's at GC and no other amps.

I found the humbuckers on the Sub to be muddy and dull. The bridge quality seemed suspect and the pickup selector was very noisy/scratchy. The build quality of the G&L looks and feels much better than the Sub. Only complaint I have about it is it's very bright tone. Rolling of the volume and tone a bit seems to get it closer to a traditional JB tone.

Anyway, what do you think? Money well spent or are there better options?

Fiesta Red, erratick and 68Telebass like this.
  2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

there's always better options, but I know guys that
    make money gigging with those Rumble amps!

If you wanted a JB you should have just bought one.
    There's no way the two are going to compare to each other.
    I think the G&L will work just fine.

vhilts1 and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Solid stuff. Well done. Now go play!

Reedt2000 and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What strings came on it? Unless the stock ones settle down I'd think about different strings and working with the amp settings.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Nice choices. I’ve got a rabbit hole of bass strings but that’s a personal preference. If it’s too bright that is where I’d start.

6. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just curious, what strings came on it?

7. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

it really doesn't matter if we are happy with your gear. it actually matters if you are happy with your gear.

try not to look for external gratification, it is temporary.

8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

All sounds good to me. I'm playing through smaller amps than that in a country band and people are really happy with my Gen II rumble 100. I was using a Rumble 40 through they system and that wasn't too shabby either. But now we got me out of the system cuz it's a small board...

Blackout Jazz likes this.
  9. NiMo

NiMo TDPRI Member

Well, I really didn't have a specific bass in mind when I tried them out at GC. I was thinking perhaps an Ibanez or Yamaha but they didn't have either when I was there initially. An employee recommended the Sub and with my limited bass experience I thought it played well and had good time. In the 30 day return period I played it often and watched YouTubes of basses around the same price range.

After a couple weeks I started feeling that I wanted a clearer, more rounded sound and I started leaning towards JB style basses. Took the Sub back to GC to swap and tried out a Squier 70's vibe JB, Epiphone violin bass, Jackson Spectra, Ibanez SR 250. The G&L seemed to be the best quality of those. The Epiphone violin bass had great sound too.

Just getting back into bass and don't feel I'm at a point where I want to spend over $500 for a bass guitar. I might consider an American made bass in the future but not at this point.

10. NiMo

NiMo TDPRI Member

Good advice!
    I have regrets I didn't try more amps but I'm completely satisfied with this Rumble and didn't feel the need to exchange it as I did with the Sterling Sub. The G&L JB2 is great.

magicfingers99 and 68Telebass like this.
  11. NiMo

NiMo TDPRI Member

I don't know other than they are round wounds.

12. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

All good choices!!! G&L tribute stuff gets high praise for fit, finish and tones!!
    Rumble 100 is a good amp that, as has been mentioned, folks earn money gigging!!
    I gave a Rumble 40- and it does great- I really like it, and h the DI out is a nice thing to have!!:cool:

Blackout Jazz and NiMo like this.
  13. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

If you are looking for a mellower thumpier sound, try flats or mostly flat strings next time (chromes etc) or play the crap out of that bass and after a while (months or years) the round wounds will deaden and sound mellower too.

Tone knob usually can reduce that brightness or the amp eq.

Your gear is totally giggable.

The grass is always greener- but just play.

Try different basses if you run into other bassists, try different strings, enjoy playing, enjoy setting up your bass.

Bassman8 and magicfingers99 like this.
  14. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

yep, its how you learn what you like, and why you like it.
    lots of different bass strings out there. I was overwhelmed and just went with the fenders, when I needed to replace a broken string on a bass I bought. Sure can hear the difference, unfortunately it was the high treble string, so even more noticable. I use eq to try to tone it down. and a bass amp model...

erratick likes this.
  15. NiMo

NiMo TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I do roll back the volume and tone knob on the guitar a bit and it does help get it closer to a traditional JB tone. I might try flats if these rounds don't mellow a bit in the coming months.

I think this guitar could benefit from a better setup. I notice playing between the body and 14th fret intonation is off on all strings. I'm aware this is natural but I'm pretty sure zeroing (strobe tuner) at the 12th fret/harmonics is needed. Also, the action seems a bit high, but unlike the Sub this guitar has no fret buzz at all.

erratick likes this.
  16. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Setting up most basses is usually easy. You can watch some videos on youtube, or get a luthier to do it. G&L's do usually have a wrinkle with a set screw on the bridge to keep the saddles in place.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/g-l-bass-setup-guide.713572/

Changing the action on a bass is usually neck relief then string height, then pickup height and then intonation. I usually need a ruler, and a couple hex wrenches and a screwdriver. Some like a feeler gauge for very accurate neck relief, .010 or .012 inch.

Since it doesn't buzz now, you're probably in good shape. And if you like the string height you could probably just fix the intonation.

Pickup height might change your tone- that maybe something you want to experiment with.

17. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

As another guitar player who who has only been seriously applying himself to bass for about the past 7 or 8 years, I've found this:

[​IMG]

to be quite useful for fine-tuning, tone-wise.

erratick likes this.
  18. NiMo

NiMo TDPRI Member

Update.
    Though I haven't tried other basses in the $450 price range my guess is that this G&L competes very well. I've learned to keep the amp's tone controls close to noon and dial back the guitar's tone control to about 2/3rd's to mellow the brightness.

I bought a 10 band MXR EQ pedal for $50 from a guy several years ago. I use it occasionally for guitar but haven't tried for bass yet.

erratick likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.