My First Tube Amp- Supro Delta King 8

vcs700s

TDPRI Member
I just purchased a Player Telecaster a few weeks ago. I had been playing it through my Rumble 25 amp which sounded good. I then decided to get an electric guitar amp, a Champion 40. It is really nice. I have been taking a few days to dial in the sound I wanted on the two channels.

For twenty years I led worship so I mostly strum and fingerpick. I have never owned a tube amp as a JC-60 was my main amp for my first Telecaster in 1992.

I had been reading about the Supro amps and noticed the Delta King 8 was on sale for $120 off so I took the plunge. I honestly had no idea what to expect. The YouTube videos were positive but some of the remarks here and on FB were not. So I waited.

I am turning 69 on Dec. 21 so weight is more of an issue than it used to be. The Rumble and Champion weigh around 20 lbs. This one is 15 lbs. so that was a positive too.

It arrived today so these are initial thoughts which may change after I spend more time with it.

This is a great looking amp. I got the black and I am glad I did.

My major concern was could I get a clean sound out of it that I would like? I plugged it in and waited for a bit to let it warm up.

Now the moment of truth. A few adjustments and out comes a glorious clean tone! Strumming sounds great. Finger picking too. Awesome!

So far so good. More thoughts later after I run some effects through it. Here’s hoping for more good results.:)

A45ACF33-0D0A-4D7E-B545-1A8A026BFCEF.jpeg

Last edited:

vcs700s

TDPRI Member
Congrats and enjoy.

A decent reverb and/or delay pedal can make that 8" speaker seem oceanic. Try setting the amp well off the floor, too, and/or pointed upward a bit. Some air makes a small speaker really breathe.

The far left pedal is a Nux Oceanic pedal. It sounds great through the Delta but initially I had to turn it down some from the setting I had it on for the Fender. The pedal to its right is a Nux analog chorus. I haven’t played with that much yet as I have been enjoying the sound of the Tele through the amp dry, without effects.

I will check my local music store tomorrow for an amp stand.

I appreciate the suggestions. Many thanks.

DLReed

Tele-Holic
Yes, I have two 8" speaker amps and placing them in a tilt back stand made a huge difference!

vcs700s

TDPRI Member
I can’t wait to try this. I can’t remember ever using an amp stand.

As it is this amp sounds really good. Loving the Tele through it without effects.

vcs700s

TDPRI Member
D407663E-22D5-4171-8228-63A54BEA6D61.jpeg
I purchased a Quik Lock stand at my local music store. The Delta fits great and the Champion 40 will too. Very heavy duty and it folds flat for transport.

I’ll be spending some time today with it on the stand and will see if the effects sound any better through it. Should be interesting.

Last edited: