My first Tele body WAS looking professional.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by The Hammer, May 14, 2021.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

ETA: I’m not going to worry about it and just roll on.

The culprit is the drill press I’m using at my friends workshop. The arbor is worn out and has some slop in it. Would you plug the holes and try again (on a different drill press that’s not worn out) or roll with it? It’s going to be painted light blue metallic so there’s no worry about the plugs showing. 8CCAB9F8-F2CD-4071-9060-322F5D7D16EE.jpeg

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    dasherf17, Flip G and BryanLB like this.
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

One one hand, the back of the guitar doesn't get looked at much. But, you are always going to notice it.

I think i would have to try again but there is some chance the same thing would happen even with a good drill press.

You might need to make a template to ensure its accurate.

Good luck.

Moodivarius, The Hammer and papa32203 like this.
  3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie TDPRI Member

Plug and do again. Use a better press and maybe a spotting bit.

SacDAve and The Hammer like this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

The vintage Telecasters ferrules were notoriously imperfect, so I say just wear it with pride.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    pavel, PingGuo, Moodivarius and 19 others like this.
  5. BryanLB

BryanLB Tele-Meister

$10 Amazon, you are not alone. Don't smoke weed and drill. I did and look where it got me.
    78D6C98D-53B6-48BC-BB58-E3B6560E7628.jpeg 10091782-869F-4DAB-81FF-45163A0B6DF3.jpeg

6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Leave it! It looks good. It'll be a good memory of how far you've come when you're building your 10th one.

SRHmusic, Mad Kiwi, RadioFM74 and 3 others like this.
  7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

On the one hand it’s barely off and no one will see it and nobody gets a perfect first build. Unless you have really solid wood working skills the plug and re-drill may look even worse. On the other hand if you have the skills, that may bother you forever!

The Hammer and pixeljammer like this.
  8. BryanLB

BryanLB Tele-Meister

When complete it does not affect function so it is not really a problem. Tone and playability makes the guitar.

dasherf17 and The Hammer like this.
  9. davidzferret

davidzferret TDPRI Member

Leave it if you can live with it, I've found with diy you often focus on the errors when you finish the job but a few months later forget them. I nicked the fingerboard edge on my kitcaster and this was etched into my brain 6 months ago, now I hardly think about it.

If you do re-do it, don't assume it's the arbor, e.g. was the drill properly ground or was it cutting off center, did it wander off center due to a harder spot in the grain. Maybe pilot the holes with a center drill before drilling to full diameter, definitely trial the whole procedure on scrap wood.

But I'd leave it.

dasherf17 likes this.
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

I was using a dowel to keep the body straight while drilling the ferrel holes.

Pretty sure this was the issue.

Attached Files:

11. rexhunta

rexhunta TDPRI Member

I could never get mine straight either so i made a few of these from 12mmx12mm alluminium bar.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately when I popped out the original ferrules it chipped the body too which sucks. I use these bars in every guitar I make now.

12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

This exact issue is why I built a top loader. Let’s call it a ‘59.

13. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I love it the way it is, exactly, right now.
    I wouldn't change a thing.

In fact, I would leave it Natural Finish, and save the light blue metallic for some other project.

But that's just me.
    :(

hemingway and The Hammer like this.
  14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Or better yet, sell the body to me, as is, and I'll finish the project with some other bits and parts we have laying around here.

I like that body, and I love the human touch of the minor imperfections you have going on there.

PM me.

:)

15. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    Roll...it's added character...get it playing...something that minor won't kill any mojo.

PSX_20200526_1032271.jpg
    This was my first attempt at a cherry sunburst...

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  16. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

Tha. sshhtuff'll gitcha ever'time...!
    That's one reason I like mine pre-punched...if anyone's to blame, it's them...

The Hammer likes this.
  17. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

The more you play it, the obsession will change from the imperfection to function.

The Hammer and BryanLB like this.
  18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I didn't nail it either. Fortunately I run a CNC at work and whipped this up. I should just make a guide for next time.

I feel like it did add a little sustain (in comparison to my other Tele of the same materials/construction) but it could be in my head.

20170930_133504.jpg
    20170930_133601.jpg
    20171001_160133.jpg
    20171001_160200.jpg

choops, rexhunta, spellcaster and 3 others like this.
  19. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

@G.Rotten Can I get one of those in black?

G.Rotten likes this.
  20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is a tricky operation in any material. The thin drill vs the length of the hole multiplies any errors. A good template, good technique and some simple jigs can make all the difference and minimize the effects of a wobbly press.

My press is at least as wobbly...yet my holes came out perfectly. Part of that was dumb luck, of course.

See my thread on my first build here: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/sassquire-build-started.465477/page-2 Posts #19 and #22 deal with the thru holes. #28 has a link to the pin jig technique.

I spent a good deal of time on scrap wood getting the holes to come out properly. I also did a good bit of searching of the DIY sections here and on Strat-talk. Using a template to get the holes correctly in line and on location is an absolute must. Then, making a simple pin jig from underneath is key to getting these little holes to meet up in the middle...and to properly drill the counterbores.

I now use the body template to just locate the holes and only run in about 1/4" deep. Then, I remove the template and flip the body to drill from the opposite side using a pin jig...and only halfway thru. Another flip on the pin jig and I drill the original holes halfway thru to meet. After that, it is simply a matter of using the pin jig to get the counterbores in.

Plugging your mistakes can make it worse. The difference in density from the plugs to the original wood can make your bit wander even more. However, making a drilling jig can mitigate that issue.

It is critical that you match your drilling technique with the wood you are using and the type of drill bit. Wood has lots of density and hardness variation in it which can make the drill wander initially, esp. if you don't have a good jig. Technique, speed and feed, are critical in the first 1/4", you need to take things slowly and run the drill at high rpm (it is tiny). A proper wood-drill is also critical. Using a standard high-speed drill (designed for metal working) can ruin it all if the wood has grain issues on the surface.

dasherf17 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.