My first speaker cab build - D style!

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Telekarster, May 10, 2021.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Hey all! Welp, I finally got her done. First I'd like to thank everyone out here who gave me tips/tricks/advice in helping me complete this project and, not sure if he comes out here or not, but want to give thanks to Uncle Doug too. Between ya'll and Dougs videos, I was able to put this thing together! Thank you!

For me, this was definately a learning experience. Until I went down this road, I really never gave cabs a thought. I was simply astonished to learn just how much work goes into building a quality cab. If I had to do this all over again, honestly I think I might well have bought from a boutique shop and called it good. Then again, I suppose I wouldn't have learned anything either...so there's that. Frankly, I surprized myself. I really didn't think it was going to turn out quite as good as it did, but I took my time and went slow, and the results are very pleasing to me.

I used premium grade, virtually no knots, pine 1x12x8'. I really wanted to do finger joints or dovetails but I guess I simply don't have the right tools or skills in this area, so my test samples failed. However, I do have some experience in using wooden pegs so I decided that a glued butt joint and pegging it, reinforced with glued and screwed kleets, should be strong enough. I made sure that the kleets were screwed both in the top/bottom as well as the sides. Between all this, the cab is incredibly strong! I think I could set a V8 engine block on it and not hurt it a bit! LOL! :)

I originally had planned to use faux suede but I simply couldn't find any that I felt were of high enough quality vs. price to justify it. It was simply better to use real suede and so that's what I did. To my surprise, it was actually quite easy to work with! 2mm suede took the bends and corners with no problem, cuts easy, and I suffered no bleed through whatsoever with the adhesive. I ended up using weldwood contact cement, titebond wood glue, and 3M spray adhesive respectively depending on the area I was doing. All performed equally well. I used Titebond woodglue for all the joints, pegs, kleets having had a lot of experience with this glue in the past, I know it's qualities so was confident with it.

As for the grill cloth, based on the help from ya'll, I went to Joann's and found a nice brown with gold flake cotton cloth for 5 bucks a yard! I felt this would complement it well, giving me that vintage radio sort of look, and in my eyes it does ;) I hope you can see the gold flakes in the photo... This was super easy to install, stretched well, and then I mist some water onto it and used a heat gun, carefully of course, to dry/shrink the fabric. It's basically drum head-ish in feel. Not too tight, not too loose.

I put a 12" Celestion Gold into her, one I had bought specifically for this cabinet, and man o man.... the tone I'm getting outta this thing in that cab is nothing short of rock star quality! I could not be happier! I have a vintage Altec 417-8C and an EV SRO/12 that I will be swapping out from time to time - experiementing with sound, and can't wait to hear what they sound like in her!

My total cost in this build was about 165.00 (not including the speaker) and about 40 hrs of work but, again, it was a LOT of work and would even say as difficult as building a guitar, at least in effort. Anyway, here she is and hope ya'll dig it! I would not have been able to do this without ya'lls help, so thanks again!

IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1041.JPG

2. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Looks great!

Telekarster likes this.
  3. Telekarster

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!!

old soul likes this.
  4. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

Wow, awesome work!

Telekarster likes this.
  5. Telekarster

Thanks Kley!!!

6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Looks good!

Don't sweat that. If you did glue+screws (assuming you used a decent quality wood glue, and it set properly, etc..) the bond between glue+wood is as strong or stronger than the wood itself.
    (Acoustic guitars are just wood+glue, right? [well, for the most part]). I use butt joints with the same dimensional pine boards and have been known to sit or lean on mine and I've never had a problem. Yours will be fine.

Also, be sure to give it a good sound test/check up loud to smoke out any buzzes or rattles that might be lurking. Plus, we need a first-hand report about it's sound. :D

Telekarster likes this.
  7. Forthefunofit

Forthefunofit TDPRI Member

Good looking cab! I really like the suede covering! I might just go that route when I build my 2x12.

Telekarster likes this.
  8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Real suede, and corner protectors? That's a genuine high-class blonde. Great work!

Telekarster likes this.
  9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

looking great!! try snakeskin leather now!!

Telekarster likes this.
  10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

That's very cool. Nicely done.

Telekarster likes this.
  11. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

WoW ...Can I have one?

Telekarster likes this.
  12. Telekarster

Thanks man! I used my little Champ XD as a head and dimed it. I don't know if it's the Celestion Gold speaker, or the cab, or is it the combo thereof? In any case, the sounds that I got were nothing short of incredible. The full spectrum of sounds were there to the likes of which I am having trouble explaining but suffice it to say, it's way more than I ever thought possible :D

fattboyzz likes this.
  13. Telekarster

Thanks man!!!

14. Telekarster

Yeah man! I was surprised. I really hadn't planned on using real suede, but now I'm glad I did. The only thing about it is you have to make sure your work area is clean as a whisle at all times, for fear of dirt and stains. My shop is usually pretty filthy most of the time, so I had to do some real cleanup before, during, and after I did this! LOL!!! Also, and this was sort of a happy accident, but when I put the corners on I gapped em a little too wide off the wood surface. BUT! Come to find out, it was actually the perfect gap for suede! LOL!! Go figure :) So... just sayin' to make sure you've got adequate gap between the corners and the wood, to make room for the thickness of the suede. In my case, I didn't think that far and sort of lucked out here ;)

fattboyzz likes this.
  15. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Looks like a million bucks. A nice cab for a lifetime of use. Nicely done!

Telekarster likes this.
  16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

That is a beautiful cab! Very tastefully done. It looks pro all the way. If it sounds as great as it looks, you've got a cab anyone would be proud to have built and own.

Telekarster likes this.
  17. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

nice cab love the suede now go build some more;)

Telekarster likes this.
  18. Telekarster

Thank you all so much for your kind words! I really appreciate it. Here's some more pics of the build. Due to the length of my description I was afraid I'd overwelm the system or something LOL!!!

IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1022.JPG IMG_1026.JPG IMG_0967.JPG

fattboyzz likes this.
  19. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Nice job! What glue did you use for the suede? Just the 3M? I would have been worried it would bleed through?

Telekarster likes this.
  20. Telekarster

Thank you man! I really appreciate it!

Thanks man! Man... I sure wish I could but 1. I'm wore out from building this thing, so need to recoup 2. My wife would probably build one just to bury me in it! LOL!!! :) I need to sell some crap to make some room... maybe I'll do just that! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.