1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first restoration. Snakeskin!!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kevin Nybo, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Kevin Nybo

Kevin Nybo TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

This was one of those 2-day projects that took 3 weeks because I kept putting it off. I had 2 of these old 9-watt Gibson GA-9 amps and decided to do a little work on the one. I also got a little jeleous of all these guys building kit amps so I decided to rebuild the entire electrical system. The only things I didn't replace were the 2 transformers.

I've read these amps use the same circuit as one of the Fender Champs but I'm not sure which one. The difference is that these old GA models from the 1950's go for about $150 on Ebay. I also like the fact that you can run it completely cranked and it stays clean with the old RCA metal pre-amp tubes. I've found the glass Sylvania's will break it up if wanted.

This one has the factory 10" speaker and runs a 5Y3(rect), two 6V6GT's, and a 6SJ7 preamp tube. Even with the two 6V6's I can crank-it and you can barely hear it outside my appartment. I checked with my wireless.

I added my old Cavalry unit's colors as a personal touch, as well as the purple jewel. The Boa pattern tolex was ordered through Vibroworld at around $22(?) yard. It took just over a half-yard for this amp.

I figure I've got just over $200 into this one. If(or when) a transformer finally goes I'll be out another $40. Still, it's a point-to-point with a solid wood cabinet and all-tube circuitry.

I encourage anyone who has ever thought about this sort of project to give it a try. It's a great feeling when you plug it in and it still works. :)

Thanks for the look.

2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Cool!

Now you need a funky finish tele to match!

(mojotone for the material??)

3. Bete Noir

Bete Noir TDPRI Member

Nice job!

Thanks for sharing!

4. Kevin Nybo

Kevin Nybo TDPRI Member

After seeing that Tweed-covered Tele in the Ebay Oddities I've actually though about it. Just order the body with zero radii on the edges. The first drawback might be the lack of resonation caused by the material, but didn't Jennings have one covered with leather?

You know what, I think I'll order a body today and give it a try.

5. cowboy

cowboy Tele-Meister

Do a tele in snakeskin and I'll really be..

impressed.

Love the amp....hope it sounds as greasy and slick as it looks.. later.

wilbur

6. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Elvis has NOT left the building. Cool amp/story btw.

7. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.