My first pedal steel guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ClydeCCR, May 16, 2021.

1. ClydeCCR

ClydeCCR TDPRI Member

Hi'all im gonna looking for a work for this summer to buy my first pedal steel guitar,So I've decided buy the stage one or the zumsteel encore, i don't know which buy. I live in Spain and there there are some people who play the instrument, its difficult to find one, I dont know which amplifier buy, I search in Thomann all I can't find all american products.
    I appreciate all tips to start.
    I love Ralph Mooney sound and some 60's Nashville sound.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good luck!
    It’s a wonderful, complex instrument.
    Zum steels are very well made!

3. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

I had a stage one for awhile. Very well made and great sounding pedal steel.
    Pedal steel can be a tough instrument to learn, but very rewarding.
    I gave it up to focus more on fiddle and lap steel. I Still play lap steel.
    Get a good clean sounding amp, solid state may be what you want to start. Don't really need tube breakup for pedal steel.
    Get a good volume pedal. Volume pedal is neccessary for pedal steel, not only for effect but pedal steels don't have volume controls on their own.
    Get a good tuner as well. Tuning a pedal steel and setting the knee levers and pedals can be a learning process and a good chromatic tuner can help.

Here's a old video of me and my stage one
    :

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

First step, join the steel guitar forum.
    There is a lot of material available but The Steel Guitar Book by Bill Keith is a great starting place. If you can find an old Peavey SS amp that would be a great starting amp, you want some reserve power and I love the sound of a single 15" but today people are getting great sound from all kinds of setups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.