My First Pedal Board Showed Up

timobkg

TDPRI Member
I recommend getting a good power supply - something like a Cioks DC5. Not that the One Spot is bad, but you might run into issues that you'll avoid with an isolated power supply. I see no point to spending hundreds on pedals to then cheap out on the power supply powering those pedals.

Some swear by tuner pedals, others just use a clip on tuner. A pedal is convenient for tuning and as a mute, but it's a lot more expensive, takes up room on the board, and a Snark clip on is just as accurate.

Beyond that, let your musical tastes dictate your pedals. My most used pedals are a Digitech Whammy DT, a Dunlop Wah, a Boss DD-3 Delay, and a Boss DS-1 Distortion. I want to add a Boss Tremolo pedal next. Those are the pedals that work for what I'm playing, but your needs may be completely different. Go with what you need for the music you're playing, rather than what someone online thinks you need to have.

Good luck! :)

timobkg

TDPRI Member
A tuner is really required, even if it's a clip-on (which in my opinion don't work well when others are playing loudly near you), and for your next pedal I'd suggest a chorus or a delay.
I've never heard of that issue before, and I didn't have any issues using a clip on Snark at Guitar Center with people playing in the background. Was it a tuner with a microphone? I can see how that could get confused as to whether to tune based on vibration or sound.

danielpsmart

TDPRI Member
If I were you, I would get a power supply, a tuner pedal, an analog style delay, and a trem pedal.

For the power supply I would say to buy one with enough power outputs that you wont outgrow it.

okgb

TDPRI Member
You may as well add pedals one at a time as you find deals on things [ I try to buy for a price I can resell at and not lose money for trying it, if you do lose a little if you find you don't like a pedal then it's like rent and you're got a little more informed! ] that way you get to know the pedal by having it as the only new distraction. with a couple of dirt pedals already, i'd say say a delay can be interesting & a lot of fun, a modulation of some sort , phaser, chorus or flanger, vibe depending what style you are mainly going for. A compressor maybe a learning curve depending on how you use it [ funk rythm or solos or always on ]
Is it because this is the TDPR grp but a trem is not high on my list, I don't own one. I think a wah is more essential.
A volume pedal can go several places in the chain but use a boost always on to a max level and the volume after if so you always get the buffering of your signal and the volume becomes a non tone sucking " active " volume [ if you consider the two together ]
That said you often see volume & wah pedals not mounted to the board and if you're not really playing live or doing cover sets maybe a tuner or vol pedal won't be the most fun or used pedals.

Again, buy em one at a time, let it grow as it makes sense to you, good luck & careful of falling into the holes!

kilroy6262

Tele-Meister
I've never heard of that issue before, and I didn't have any issues using a clip on Snark at Guitar Center with people playing in the background. Was it a tuner with a microphone? I can see how that could get confused as to whether to tune based on vibration or sound.
I tried using one during band practice and in between songs people would be noodling and it was making the tuner go a bit bonkers. I assumed the vibrations from what they were playing was affecting how my neck was vibrating. I have no proof, just my experience.

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
I tried using one during band practice and in between songs people would be noodling and it was making the tuner go a bit bonkers. I assumed the vibrations from what they were playing was affecting how my neck was vibrating. I have no proof, just my experience.
Ive experience that as well. Not always, but enough to make me prefer a pedal tuner in a live band situation.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I agree that a pedal board tuner is probably better, but for space reasons I've been gigging with just a clip on snark tuner for the last few years and it works fine. I just turn the volume knob on my guitar down and quickly tune up. If you are out in the sun, they can be a little hard to read, but I've had that problem with pedals too.

Trigger warning for some: I also sometimes gig with one of those Gibson's that tunes itself. It works even better.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Some kinda analog delay and probably tremolo, for blues. I always recommend getting an inexpensive mult-effects pedal if you really have no idea what kind of sound you are after. Otherwise, it is a real rabbit hole to go down, buying effects pedals to see if you like them. There is also at least one place that will let you rent pedals a few at a time for a monthly fee. Kind of like the old netflix dvds by mail thing.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
Great suggestion. That's basically what I did when I started getting back into gigging. I bought an inexpensive multifx unit that had a lot of easy to figure out pedal models and played around with that long enough to discover what I liked and what I didn't.

I have a little board now that I leave out for playing at home (so I don't have to pull out the big gig board) that just has delay, tremolo, and OD, which is probably 90 percent of what I use on the big board anyway. That's where I would start.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Every board I use has a tuner and a delay on it so they would be my first suggestions. A Pedal Power power supply would be my second. After trying a few of the fancier / more expensive tuners I now placed all of those on a storage shelf and I'm back to using Boss TU-2 or TU-3 tuners on all of my pedalboards. They're inexpensive, work great and last forever.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Debated if I should go down this hole or not, cruising this forum it seems like a vicious cycle haha. Plus as mentioned in previous posts I’m not terribly knowledgeable in this department and still learning, but learning is fun right!? That said I only have two pedals currently, OCD and a blues driver. I’m getting tired of tossing them in different guitar cases and keeping track of patch cables ect. After a sweetwater search it seemed these things cost more than I had anticipated.

I wanted a larger one for the buy once cry once and found this one on Amazon for 60 bucks. The bag kinda sucks but I didn’t buy it for that, seems pretty solid and has a spot for a power supply underneath. Obviously I don’t gig unless you consider going down to the neighbors garage a gig and as far as this thing will probably go.

So I’ve got a clean slate and maybe y’all can guide me down a basic direction. I think I’m good on drive pedals for now and wondering what would ideally be next?

1. I know I need a power supply so I can stop draining the expensive 9v battery’s. Suggestions appreciated!

2. Should I opt for a tuner pedal? I was watching a couple YouTube videos of that poly tune and that thing seems pretty slick!

Not trying to fill this thing up and overwhelm myself but what are some other basic go to pedals.

TIA!

View attachment 967293
View attachment 967294

I added a second pedal board, the first board has my tuner, wah, and OD pedals, the second board has one more OD, an EQ, my effects, and a looper. If I were to ever start playing out again, I’d probably condense down to one board, but for at home use, this works great.

See the order of my pedals from right to left (from guitar and into the amp). This is the order that was recommended to me.

First board from guitar.
View attachment 967350

Second board into the amp.
View attachment 967349
I like the Boss BCB-60. The power supply and power cabling is included and when hooked up, the wiring is neatly hidden in a raceway. It comes with 8 cables to hookup 6 pedals plus a tuner. The bottom section is the pedalboard and the top lid attaches and turns your pedalboard into kind of a briefcase. Boss also makes a smaller 3 pedal version.
pedo board.jpg
BossBCBcover.jpg

Last edited:

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I like the Boss BCB-60. The power supply and power cabling is included and when hooked up, the wiring is neatly hidden in a raceway. It comes with 8 cables to hookup 6 pedals plus a tuner. The bottom section is the pedalboard and the top lid attaches and turns your pedalboard into kind of a briefcase. Boss also makes a smaller 3 pedal version.
View attachment 987662 View attachment 987663
Agreed. I’ve had one of these for years. I finally had to replace the power supply last year, but still some of the best bang-for-the-buck gear that I’ve purchased.