My First Pedal Board Showed Up

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
Debated if I should go down this hole or not, cruising this forum it seems like a vicious cycle haha. Plus as mentioned in previous posts I’m not terribly knowledgeable in this department and still learning, but learning is fun right!? That said I only have two pedals currently, OCD and a blues driver. I’m getting tired of tossing them in different guitar cases and keeping track of patch cables ect. After a sweetwater search it seemed these things cost more than I had anticipated.

I wanted a larger one for the buy once cry once and found this one on Amazon for 60 bucks. The bag kinda sucks but I didn’t buy it for that, seems pretty solid and has a spot for a power supply underneath. Obviously I don’t gig unless you consider going down to the neighbors garage a gig and as far as this thing will probably go.

So I’ve got a clean slate and maybe y’all can guide me down a basic direction. I think I’m good on drive pedals for now and wondering what would ideally be next?

1. I know I need a power supply so I can stop draining the expensive 9v battery’s. Suggestions appreciated!

2. Should I opt for a tuner pedal? I was watching a couple YouTube videos of that poly tune and that thing seems pretty slick!

Not trying to fill this thing up and overwhelm myself but what are some other basic go to pedals.

TIA!

View attachment 967293
View attachment 967294
A Truetone 1Spot power supply and a quad daisy chain should cover your power needs for the BD, OCD, a Tuner pedal of your choice (Boss TU-?), and one other pedal (delay, reverb, or whatever).

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Careful now or this could happen...
IMG_20220314_143922.jpg

markal

Tele-Afflicted
Sky’s the limit. It all depends on what you play. At home I run compressor, 4-5 drive pedals, tremolo, delay, and reverb. I’d like to add a unavibe and maybe a wah. I use a headstock tuner but sometimes consider a tuner pedal.

When I play out (these days just jams, but I plan on gigging again soon), I use two drives, tremolo, delay, reverb. My amp has reverb, but I like a lot of verb sometimes so the pedal allows me to switch it on and off.

I use a nano+ board so five pedals max. (And pair it with another nano at home).

Good luck, and have fun.

vjf1968

Poster Extraordinaire
My 2 cents.

I would look into getting a quality power supply. I highly recommend the Strymon Zuma or Zuma R300. The problem with some of the daisy chain style PS (OneSpot) is that some digital based pedals don't play nice plus you do not have isolated outputs.

I also have the TrueTone CS 12 as well, a little cheaper than the Strymon and is solid as well.

The Boss TU3 tuner is rock solid and you can use the DC out jack to power pedals. Look on the used market to save some bucks, I have seem them as low as $65

If your amp already has reverb then save your money and get a delay (MXR Carbon Copy or a Boss DM2W both can be had cheaper on the used market).

With the OCD and Blues Driver you pretty much have your overdrive/distortion area pretty much covered

My only other pedal suggestion is a compressor especially if you want to play clean. The MXR Dynacomp can be had pretty cheap and is very good. You can spend a little more and get the Xotic SP Compressor, both have only two knobs so they are easy to get a grasp of, that is if you are not familiar with compressors.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Mine this channel for 'Affordaboard' topics, one example of many:

Go on Amazon and sort 'guitar pedals' under '$25'.

Learn a bit of gain stacking (Get a Joyo American Sound anyway, many uses and can be a cab sim to replace a physical amp).

Get a Fuzz, there are plenty of good $25 fuzz boxes that do this

Looper pedal. Ditto Mini is popular. I have an Kokko SOS FLP2 that is a Ditto Mini clone (same factory apparently) for $35. The looper allows you to play both rhythm and lead parts 'with a live person' so you need to match the variations in tempo you cause yourself just like jamming with friends in the garage. There's a 'Justin Guitar' episode on how to use a looper that is recommended.

Inexpensive behringer pedals discussed here

...Oh, and you "need a RAT". That is advice that gets invoked in every pedal thread. You do need one. You can choose the 'black rat' or 'black secret' $25 models though.

middy

Friend of Leo's

Mine this channel for 'Affordaboard' topics, one example of many:

Go on Amazon and sort 'guitar pedals' under '$25'.

Learn a bit of gain stacking (Get a Joyo American Sound anyway, many uses and can be a cab sim to replace a physical amp).

Get a Fuzz, there are plenty of good $25 fuzz boxes that do this

Looper pedal. Ditto Mini is popular. I have an Kokko SOS FLP2 that is a Ditto Mini clone (same factory apparently) for $35. The looper allows you to play both rhythm and lead parts 'with a live person' so you need to match the variations in tempo you cause yourself just like jamming with friends in the garage. There's a 'Justin Guitar' episode on how to use a looper that is recommended.

Inexpensive behringer pedals discussed here

...Oh, and you "need a RAT". That is advice that gets invoked in every pedal thread. You do need one. You can choose the 'black rat' or 'black secret' $25 models though.

Good post, but there aren’t any $25 fuzzes that clean up like a germanium fuzz face.

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
Buy a used TU3 tuner and a used analogue delay.
OCD into BD2 into DELAY into TU3. Then power all Using the TU3.
This would be a very good and affordable start. Add Flanger later if required,
All the best with this and know that less is more.
Richard.
This is a very good idea. However personally Id prefer one other different character of drive. The OCD and BD2 are both kinda full freq. I really like the BD2 at low gain for an always on edge of breakup core tone. The OCD is better at higher gains. But still overall the tonality of these two is similar to my ear. For myself Id want something with a different eq curve and character. I really dig the warm sound of the Nobles, and the BD2 works good as a boost into it. But the OCD and a Tube Screamer type is also a good tried and true combo.

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
To go another minimalist route, I have recently discovered the joys of a Strat and a Fuzz Face. With just the guitar and pedal you get an amazing range of dirt from just the vol knob on the guitar. From glassy cleans with just a bit o hair to full on fuzzy roar, and all points in between. Works pretty good with a Tele too, any single coil really, but with a Strat its really special.
I really like the red germanium mini FF, its not to over the top and is warmer sounding to my ear than the silicon models. I also like the Joe Bossanoma black one that's very similar in tone but works better with humbuckers. For modulation IMO a Phase 90 type is the most versatile.
My fav minimalist set up is:
FF>Phase Shifter>OD>Analog Delay

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
No judgment intended, but that is a pretty big board for someone just getting into pedals, including the underside spaces for two (!) power sources. Welcome to the wormhole! Hope you’ve paid off your student loans and haven’t max’d out your credit cards (yet).

BTW, this is a great forum for getting advice, just remember that nearly everyone giving that advice is a pedal-aholic.

Best wishes, good luck and have fun!

David C

Tele-Holic
Before you start stuffing your pedal board, figure out what you want to do. A tuner, Delay, and Reverb are starting points. Fuzz, Distortion, and Overdrive are also nice to have. Lots of people like Compressors and Equalizers.

But before you run out grabbing up pedals, build slowly to see what you like or don't like.

You can sink a ton of cash into these things not to mention time.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
As far as other pedals, depending on your style of music, you might want to think about the following…
Delay - Boss DD-3 for a digital model and if you prefer analog either a Boss DM-2w or a MXR Carbon Copy

Reverb pedal - I like the Boss RV-6

Tremolo- Boss TR-2 is a good one

WADR to RTR, if you are looking for Reverb and Tremolo, you may want to consider a Mr Black Deluxe Plus pedal, which does both really well. I love mine.

MRBLACKDELUXEPLUS.gif

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Maybe I missed it, but I don’t see where @Twofingerlou stated what kind of music he plays…

I think (to a degree) if a person is playing an extremely narrow genre (Death Metal vs Traditionalist Honky Tonk vs Retro Chicago Blues vs Memphis Soul…you get the point), a specific group of pedals would be the best prescription.

If @Twofingerlou plays a generic Anglo-American Music of the Last Five Decades, then a lineup of general, middle of the road pedals is great.

-Tuner…preferably with a “Mute” function.
-Dirt
I know a lot of people think Overdrive, Fuzz and Distortion are basically the same effect, but while they overlap on some edges, they’re actually different, sometimes vastly different…they also react very differently to different types of pickups and what type of amp they’re plugged into.
-Modulation effects
Wah, phaser, chorus, flanger, tremolo, vibrato, rotary, etc…this is where the greatest variation from player to player occurs—I love most modulation effects, especially phase shifters and tremolo, but I detest chorus. These pedals are also mostly closely related to the type of music the player plays…IMHO, rotary wouldn’t sound “right” in a Death Metal context but sounds great in Blues or Classic Rock.
-Boost
-Compression
-Delay
-Noise Gate

This is just my humble opinion and personal experience—I’ve owned/used a lot of pedals over the years, and the type of music the person wants to make, what type of guitars and amps and other pedals the player is using, and even the player’s touch/technique will be more important, too.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
It's also clearly essential that you get one of these.

Okay, it isn't, but everyone else has covered all the useful serious suggestions! Have fun. I have 30 overdrive pedals alone. I shouldn't be giving anyone advice on this stuff. Don't follow me down this hole, I think, is my best advice!!

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
There are two methods for deciding what pedals to get; the poke and hope method which is buying pedals because they look cool, sound cool and/or are the flavor of the day and hoping they do something useful; or, figure out what you are trying to accomplish and buy a pedal that fits your need. The first method is very expensive and frustrating.
@teletail is making an excellent point here.

Just because many of us have decided it's "fun" to have six tremolo pedals or 3 examples of every fuzz topology ever made doesn't mean you need to.

If you're after a good electric blues sound, your picking (or strumming/plucking/snapping) hand is going to matter at least as much as whatever effects you're using. After all, Howlin' Wolf told Pete Cosey to take his wah pedal and throw it into Lake Michigan.

Another nice thing about only using a few pedals is that there's a battery power option that only costs about as much as five or six 9v but is also rechargeable. I outlined the steps I took towards that end in this thread, but there are even off-the-shelf options for that kind of rechargeable pedal power now.

And if you do decide you're interested in the Pete Cosey end of the spectrum; as this thread demonstrates, there are plenty of enablers here to "help" you along.

paperman

TDPRI Member
In my little experience I would add to your OCD+BD2 combo:
- a delay (i.e. Carbon Copy for analog or DD-3 for digital)
- a tremolo (I love it, TR-2 is a standard but I like also Carl Martin, T-Rex, Voodoo Labs, etc.)
- a reverb
- a loop (very very very funny, even with the small and simple Ditto)

kilroy6262

Tele-Meister
You might want one for a number of reasons. Having a volume pedal after distortion/overdrive gives you control over the level without affecting the gain of the pedal(s). Also, the pedal doesn't require the use of your playing hands.
Exactly. Your volume knob will affect your sound because it cuts the current to your pickup (and that's not a bad thing - it's a valuable tool), but a volume pedal won't affect your sound, just your volume.

kilroy6262

Tele-Meister
P/S = 1 Spot True Tone CS-7. I just bought one of these a few months ago.

I had a bagged pedal board with a built in power supply that I used for years, but I noticed two things - the DC adapter that was powering the board was damaged where it plugged into the board and about to fail, and a bag is not the best choice for some who's gigging regularly because it really doesn't provide much protection from impacts (like stuff sliding around in your car). I got a Pedaltrain with a hard case and the 1 Spot I mentioned above. I don't think its right for you yet since you only have 2 pedals. You'd have to go through a lot of 9V batteries to make it pay for itself. The 1 Spot Slim is what you need for now.

A tuner is really required, even if it's a clip-on (which in my opinion don't work well when others are playing loudly near you), and for your next pedal I'd suggest a chorus or a delay.