My First Pedal Board Showed Up

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
Debated if I should go down this hole or not, cruising this forum it seems like a vicious cycle haha. Plus as mentioned in previous posts I’m not terribly knowledgeable in this department and still learning, but learning is fun right!? That said I only have two pedals currently, OCD and a blues driver. I’m getting tired of tossing them in different guitar cases and keeping track of patch cables ect. After a sweetwater search it seemed these things cost more than I had anticipated.

I wanted a larger one for the buy once cry once and found this one on Amazon for 60 bucks. The bag kinda sucks but I didn’t buy it for that, seems pretty solid and has a spot for a power supply underneath. Obviously I don’t gig unless you consider going down to the neighbors garage a gig and as far as this thing will probably go.

So I’ve got a clean slate and maybe y’all can guide me down a basic direction. I think I’m good on drive pedals for now and wondering what would ideally be next?

1. I know I need a power supply so I can stop draining the expensive 9v battery’s. Suggestions appreciated!

2. Should I opt for a tuner pedal? I was watching a couple YouTube videos of that poly tune and that thing seems pretty slick!

Not trying to fill this thing up and overwhelm myself but what are some other basic go to pedals.

TIA!

FC119BE1-05AF-4D72-92FC-AE6F149FA1E2.jpeg

B905E492-5204-4175-9DCA-144B08239C98.jpeg

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
What’s the purpose of the volume pedal, do you have more control over your guitar knob?

You might want one for a number of reasons. Having a volume pedal after distortion/overdrive gives you control over the level without affecting the gain of the pedal(s). Also, the pedal doesn't require the use of your playing hands.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Thanks I’ll check it out
As far as other pedals, depending on your style of music, you might want to think about the following…
Delay - Boss DD-3 for a digital model and if you prefer analog either a Boss DM-2w or a MXR Carbon Copy

Reverb pedal - I like the Boss RV-6

Tremolo- Boss TR-2 is a good one

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
You might want one for a number of reasons. Having a volume pedal after distortion/overdrive gives you control over the level without affecting the gain of the pedal(s). Also, the pedal doesn't require the use of your playing hands.

Kinda like a attenuator or whatever it’s called?

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
As far as other pedals, depending on your style of music, you might want to think about the following…
Delay - Boss DD-3 for a digital model and if you prefer analog either a Boss DM-2w or a MXR Carbon Copy

Reverb pedal - I like the Boss RV-6

Tremolo- Boss TR-2 is a good one

What’s the difference between digital and analog?

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
Strat and tele, I have a blues jr with the red white and blues speaker and a Marshall 5 watt dsl. Working on getting a blues tone.

Tuner, but you can get by with a clip on unless you are gigging. The little cheap Chinese mini tuners work fine too and you can get em for like $20.
A different flavor of drive-I like the Nobles ODR1
Some kinda basic delay
Optional but nice to have:
Some kinda wobbly device-phase shifter, Univibe, or basic chorus with a vibrato switch

Last edited:

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I added a second pedal board, the first board has my tuner, wah, and OD pedals, the second board has one more OD, an EQ, my effects, and a looper. If I were to ever start playing out again, I’d probably condense down to one board, but for at home use, this works great.

See the order of my pedals from right to left (from guitar and into the amp). This is the order that was recommended to me.

First board from guitar.
F8BF434A-8EC9-455E-8DDA-0E1E18444A73.jpeg

Second board into the amp.
72A3A0D1-3605-4380-A79B-83B71C14D5EB.jpeg

Last edited:

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
Tuner, but you can get by with a clip on unless you are gigging.
Blues Driver & Nobles ODR1
Some kinda basic delay
Optional but nice to have:
Some kinda wobbly device-phase shifter, Univibe, or basic chorus with a vibrato switch

A Tremelo pedal is another nice to have, esp for that swampy CCR kinda vibe. Joyo makes a decent affordable one.

52BIGSBY

Tele-Meister
Buy a used TU3 tuner and a used analogue delay.
OCD into BD2 into DELAY into TU3. Then power all Using the TU3.
This would be a very good and affordable start. Add Flanger later if required,
All the best with this and know that less is more.
Richard.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
There are two methods for deciding what pedals to get; the poke and hope method which is buying pedals because they look cool, sound cool and/or are the flavor of the day and hoping they do something useful; or, figure out what you are trying to accomplish and buy a pedal that fits your need. The first method is very expensive and frustrating.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have had good luck with Donner DP-1 power supplies and have three in service.

I like the TU-3 Boss tuner pedals and have two to cover my practice spaces, but clip on tuners work perfectly fine (and I use them too).

The MXR Carbon Copy delay (mini) is the best I have (of 5). However, my Caline Seven Drifters pedal is pretty good, with seven delay options...and Donner MultiFX like the Alpha Cruncher and Alpha FX are also pretty good if one wants to experiment with different fx before making a commit on big $$ name pedals.

I keep a tremolo on each of my boards and like to use it. I use my chorus pedals alot less now that I've been playing electric a while (missed my twelve string...lol).

Oh, and I highly recommend the Joyo Sound pedals...the California may be a good choice for your blues tones.

Happy hunting.

HolmfirthNJ

TDPRI Member
I’d agree the Truetone 1-spot is a good place to start - if it turns out you need separation between individual pedals, or different voltage or amps options later, I’d recommend the Cioks DC5. I’ve got the 1-spot and DC5, and also a T-Rex junior which is great too, and not expensive.