My first partscaster

Burlington Dave

Friend of Leo's
Well here is my first one as the title says, 'el dia de Los Muertos' parts caster.
Made from :-
Gear4music alder body with maple cap, not that you can see the cap.

Gear4music maple neck.

Fender Texmex pickups, in keeping with the theme.

New bone nut.

All parts pickguard.

Di marzio pro 3 way switch.

Fender control plate and pots.

And all wired with vintage style cloth wiring.

I wanted to make a paisley guitar but couldn't find the fabric so went with this as a finish. Front and back were covered with it the then lacquered with a water base laquer, which worked well and dried quickly in the Spanish heat.
I was going to do a sunburst finish but liked it as is, so spent a good many hours shaving back the fabric to fit exactly to the edge of the body.
Sides were sprayed with a black rattle can which I am pleased with for my first attempt at spraying.
Took just over month as everything was hand sanded and hand tools to build it.
Just giving it its first play and other than tweaking set up I like it alot, the pickups are great and not as treble sounding as some said.
Hope you like it. 😎

Phil.
Gorgeous work! How did you get the fabric so right to the edges? Did you glue it first then trim once dry?

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Gorgeous work! How did you get the fabric so right to the edges? Did you glue it first then trim once dry?
Yes, I over lapped by an inch or so, then used lacquer for four or five coats till is was very rigid, then painstakingly shaved it back with a razor blade. It did help the body was squared off at he edges.

Doutorfunga

TDPRI Member
Well here is my first one as the title says, 'el dia de Los Muertos' parts caster.
Made from :-
Gear4music alder body with maple cap, not that you can see the cap.

Gear4music maple neck.

Fender Texmex pickups, in keeping with the theme.

New bone nut.

All parts pickguard.

Di marzio pro 3 way switch.

Fender control plate and pots.

And all wired with vintage style cloth wiring.

I wanted to make a paisley guitar but couldn't find the fabric so went with this as a finish. Front and back were covered with it the then lacquered with a water base laquer, which worked well and dried quickly in the Spanish heat.
I was going to do a sunburst finish but liked it as is, so spent a good many hours shaving back the fabric to fit exactly to the edge of the body.
Sides were sprayed with a black rattle can which I am pleased with for my first attempt at spraying.
Took just over month as everything was hand sanded and hand tools to build it.
Just giving it its first play and other than tweaking set up I like it alot, the pickups are great and not as treble sounding as some said.
Hope you like it. 😎

Phil.
You just gave me the idea of doing a similar project with holographic paper instead of fabric. So not only it looks great, but inspiring too, cheers