My first New Years without tobacco...

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I loved smoking for a long time. If I could do it safely I just might still be smoking...but I can't. I stopped over 25 years ago and it's one of the single best decisions I've ever made. The clearest memory I have of what it was like after the first 72 hours or so was...."Why did I ever wait this long!" The first couple days were a bit uncomfortable but there are many ways to get through them and help is available. After that it was no big deal.

Good luck man, you can do it.

Last edited:

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I quit at least 30 times before it "stuck", but now I've done without cigarettes for 25 years. You can do this.

My sons are both on the wagon now, and I hope they can stay there. I 'bout fainted when my youngest son told me he paid $11 a pack for the brand he smoked...och tamale! No wonder he's broke all the time.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
good luck with that which is ailing you.
be sure and have it looked at, please.
I'm glad I check my sore through, It was stage 3 cancer and me and the pro's from dover nipped it in the bud.
I 'm please to say , I've been cancer free for twelve years, and the last twelve years have been well worth being around for.
In the last little bit, I've got to see Patrick Mahone and his crew do their magic, and Valentina Shevchenko do her amazing thing.Im certain glad that I had my sore throat checked out.
Valentina is amazing!

Fireball519

Tele-Holic
Praying for you brother. Only 2 true habits I've had in my life are long cut Copenhagen and Dr Pepper. I told my wife last year I'd give up my dip before my Dr Pepper. Now I rarely ever drink Dr Pepper, switched to Perrier. I may be soon behind you

hd09

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Wish the best for you. I know I need to quit been dippin since a teenager. I guess I've been lucky so far, but one day my luck might run out. Hopefully your swelling will just go away. Prayers sent

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
10 hours in. How ya holding up? Murder anyone yet?
I'm a few days in now... I'm fine really. Just crave it at certain times. But to be honest, I have used a few "Rogue" pouches... they have nicotine, but no tobacco. Very addictive, but not dangerous, from what I understand.

Last edited:

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Don't be afraid to ask your Dr for medical help. I used Zyban. I took it for 3 months and then, whala, I just quit.

All the best! You CAN do it!!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I stopped smoking in 1983. I returned from California on a Monday. I’d been hiking in Kings Canyon NP and saw a sign posted not to drink the water. The part of the park I was in was a plague area. I felt sick on Tuesday. I was flowing in colors from every orifice. I was at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine so finding an MD wasn’t difficult. An neurologist o knew told me not to worry. It wasn’t the plague. OK but I still felt like the stuff that wouldn’t stop trying to exit from my body and it dawned on me. This is what the end looks like with cancer. I went into the “smokers” men’s room, evacuated all orifices again, threw my cigarettes in the trash and never picked up another.

With the right motivation, the habit can be kicked.

Last edited:

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm a few days in now... I'm fine really. Just clave it at certain times. But to be honest, I have used a few "Rogue" pouches... they have nicotine, but no tobacco. Very addictive, but not dangerous, from what I understand.

I still occasionally feel like I'd like a smoke even now, after almost 8 years. It's not all the time and nothing I can't handle but once you start, you're never really quite free. It does get better eventually. Just don't give in.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Wish the best for you. I know I need to quit been dippin since a teenager. I guess I've been lucky so far, but one day my luck might run out. Hopefully your swelling will just go away. Prayers sent
I'm sure it's nothing. I haven't gone to the doc yet, but after 3 days of amoxicillin, the swelling has subsided.
I return home from my vacation tomorrow then I have an appointment.

Thanks to everyone though. Not sure why I posted really, but so many encouraging people have responder. Thanks again!

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I still occasionally feel like I'd like a smoke even now, after almost 8 years. It's not all the time and nothing I can't handle but once you start, you're never really quite free. It does get better eventually. Just don't give in.
I actually smoked (and dipped off and on) from when I was a kid in the 90's until 2012 when I stopped smoking.
It's easy to quit smoking when you have dip to lean on...

Poster Extraordinaire
Hahaha... I have A LOT of experience with addiction and quitting. I know I can quit. I did heroin for over ten years and was able to quit that... but trust me, addiction is real.

It's all in your head. Control your head.

Poster Extraordinaire
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. Addiction is all too real and affect millions in this country. It is a disease with no known cure. A disease. With no cure.

That's like saying HIV/AIDS doesn't exist.

It isn't. You can't decide to not have HIV/AIDS anymore.

Last edited: