My first guitar refinish

AbleMob

TDPRI Member
So I bought this used butterscotch blonde squier bullet tele for $120. I wanted a mod platform with the maple fretboard neck that was not too expensive because I wanted to try my hand at a refinish. Sort of a "gut reno" of a room in your house. Wanted to try a different sound than the single coils, so I found some inexpensive "Filtertron Type" pickups in a humbucker form factor and routed the bridge cavity for that. I used a Duplicolor spray can meant for cars and an Eastmans 2K for the clear coat. Level sand and buff with compound and polish. I was pretty pleased how even the color came out, but have some swirls in the clear. But overall I'm pleased. The "Filtertrons" have a nice chime to them. Also CTS pots and a new switch and Wilkinson tuners.
IMG_4596.JPG

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Looks great. You picked the perfect platform to start learning and experimenting with. I used to buy only Fender American necks so that I wouldn't have to deal with fret issues. My last was a beautiful but unplayable Chinese neck that I leveled myself, and now I'll never go back to American Fender necks.

AbleMob

TDPRI Member
Looks great. You picked the perfect platform to start learning and experimenting with. I used to buy only Fender American necks so that I wouldn't have to deal with fret issues. My last was a beautiful but unplayable Chinese neck that I leveled myself, and now I'll never go back to American Fender necks.
Thanks! I played it for a bit before I dismantled it and it sounded good. I just wanted a different color and see what the different sound would be with the humbucker pickups.

dfab

TDPRI Member
I'm considering doing the same refinish project to a Squier guitar. I have a couple of questions:
1. Did you strip the guitar to bare wood or just scuff the original finish? If you scuffed the original finish, what did you use?
2. Did you use the Duplicolor Primer/Sealer? If so, how many coats?
3. How many coats of Duplicolor blue did you use? Did you sand between coats?
4. How many coats of Duplicolor clear did you use? Did you sand between coats?
5. Did you use any kind of buffing compound?
6. How well has the new finish adhered to the body? Any issues?

Sorry for the many questions but it appears that you have successfully completed a similar project that I'm about to start.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Great looking guitar!

I did a similar Squier project recently - made a really decent guitar (had some freight damage on the body so the price was right) into a piece of my history; an almost clone of what I had in the late '60s.

I'd do it again, too. And I'll probably be asked to.

The Squier is a bargain.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
That's how it starts...refinishing Squiers. Next you'll be building guitars from scratch. Ask me how I know.

Looks like a great refin job!!

AbleMob

TDPRI Member
I'm considering doing the same refinish project to a Squier guitar. I have a couple of questions:
1. Did you strip the guitar to bare wood or just scuff the original finish? If you scuffed the original finish, what did you use?
2. Did you use the Duplicolor Primer/Sealer? If so, how many coats?
3. How many coats of Duplicolor blue did you use? Did you sand between coats?
4. How many coats of Duplicolor clear did you use? Did you sand between coats?
5. Did you use any kind of buffing compound?
6. How well has the new finish adhered to the body? Any issues?

Sorry for the many questions but it appears that you have successfully completed a similar project that I'm about to start.
1) I scuffed the factory finish with a sponge 400 grit sanding block until there was no shine
2) No primer or sealer
3) 4 light coats were required; used the whole can. No sanding between coats was the recommendation with the metallic colors. Sonic Blue Pearl.
4) I used Eastman's 2K (2 part) "can in a can", not the duplicolor clear. Fantastic stuff, but wear that respirator! No sanding between the four coats. About 30 minutes between coats at about 60 degrees and 50% humidity (got lucky in April).
5) I used Meguiars buffing and then polishing compound, using a few different foam pads. I bought a Ryobi buffer, but the bonnets weren't great, so I modified the backing plate to use velcro for the foam pads. I level sanded just the front with successive fine papers starting at 1000 and going up to 3000. My last coat of 2K was pretty wet, and the orange peel on the back was pretty slight. .
6) no peeling or adhesion issues.