My first gig in more than 2 years tonight

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
The long break was for the obvious reason.

I last did a gig in early March 2020. A really fun blues gig.

Then the country shut down . . . then within weeks I was in hospital with you-know-what, and it was touch-and-go for a while. Three months off work recovering (which I haven't, frankly).

My gig tonight is just some silly corporate covers affair. But I'm stupidly excited about it. I couldn't think why.

But then the obvious reason hit me: not so long ago I didn't think I'd live to do another one.

I don't think I'll ever get over the shock of what happened. People tend to think of it as a fever, a cough, some wheezing, then you get better. But they don't get how much pain and trauma there is when it's severe. I've never been through anything like it.

But it's over and now I'm going to play some stupid noodly-wheedly solos. Whether anyone wants to hear them or not.

And just as a last word, when this thing comes around again, look after yourselves. It can be just a fever, a cough, some wheezing, then you get better. But it can also be something much worse.

Now go play them geetars. Love to all. xx

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
That which does not kill us makes us stronger

I mean, unless it leaves us debilitated and traumatized

Still haven't played out yet; maybe in Fall
Yeah, it kind of does all those things.

It also made me kind of fatter, as I can't do the exercise I used to. So I'm going to have to watch my profile on stage . . .

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
All the very best for the gig.
Aye, every gig no matter what for or who for is great for the soul.
I've my first in 5 years in 10 days time, after a health related hiatus, so I can identify with your situation.

I'm sure you'll do fine tonight just make sure you get plenty of downtime afterwards to recover. It sounds like you're still recovering mentally and physically so don't fight the fatigue and trauma too head on, they're pernicious 'blighters'.

Just live in the spaces between the notes (lots of them if your whiddlin' and noodlin') because fatigue and trauma can't fight that energy when it's happening.

Buell

Tele-Meister
Man, do I know the feeling. The past couple of years have just sucked and to be sick on top of it sucked even more. I'm less than two weeks away from my first gig since the Purge and am already as nervous and excited as the first time I stepped on stage. I'm sure you feel the same, so best of luck, have fun and rock on!

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
Glad you are well enough to play out now. Enjoy!!!! And don’t worry about the crowd too much. They have also had hard times and will probably be as happy to hear some wheedly-wheedly as you will be playin it.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Well, you'll be in the middle of your whiddling by this point, so I'm a bit late, but I hope it goes well.

I had my first in 6 years on Sunday night and sadly it was the most unpleasant gig I've ever done. Never mind. Onwards and upwards! Here's hoping your return is much more pleasant!

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey man, hope the gig went great! I had a pretty decent bout of it early on, too. Not as bad as you from the sounds of it, but my wife was a nurse during the worst times and caught a bad case of it and is still not "better" in fact we sort of hate that word now. Not everything has a silver lining as it turns out. All the best to you, man.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
All the very best for the gig.
Aye, every gig no matter what for or who for is great for the soul.
I've my first in 5 years in 10 days time, after a health related hiatus, so I can identify with your situation.

I'm sure you'll do fine tonight just make sure you get plenty of downtime afterwards to recover. It sounds like you're still recovering mentally and physically so don't fight the fatigue and trauma too head on, they're pernicious 'blighters'.

Just live in the spaces between the notes (lots of them if your whiddlin' and noodlin') because fatigue and trauma can't fight that energy when it's happening.
Wise words, thank you

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

The gig went as well as you could expect, for 3 1-hour sets with an interchanging band of 12 people with a huge headache for the sound engineer.

There were setbacks and some exploding equipment, and a lot of guesswork (as always in gigs) but it was basically fun and people liked it.

I was a little deflated, probably because I had built it up so much in my mind. I wondered why the atmosphere seemed a little flat to me (although not to anyone else); but I think that's the problem of playing an evening outdoor gig that's pretty much literally in midsummer. It just never got dark enough to seem like a gig!

But it happened. And I was there. And there will hopefully be more.

Thanks again for listening.