1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My First Cheap Guitar (Squier)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by gridlock, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Tjeppen

Tjeppen TDPRI Member

If it plays and sounds good, does it matter what country it comes from ?
    My Squier Tele I bought 30 years ago has a nicer playing neck, for me that is, than my friends 1999 american standard Tele.
    Payed roughly $100,- that time to replace my back up axe that was stolen from our rehearsal shack. Bought it 2 hours before the gig,
    needed it due to a broken string and had to play on the neck pu because the switch was broken (which the seller warned me about and
    gave me a discount for if I repaired it myself)

DeckerPhan92 and gridlock like this.
  2. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I've not had too good of luck with the low end squires. Bullet, Affinity, Standard on up are way better. I have a CV Strat and CV Tele that are just as good or better than the Mex models for a lot less money. I also have an AM Strat and, Tele that are Great guitars but, I purchased them many years ago. The pic is of a Rondo Furrian SX. Copy of a Nashville Tele. For $159 it puts a Squier or Mex Tele to shame. I play it at home and, have giged it. The only complaint is the pickups are a little noisy but, the noise gate solves that. I came across it by pure accident. Scott Grove did a review on it on you tube, I thought for that kind of money I've got to try one. I was very surprised at the quality of this instrument. I would buy a Rondo guitar again.

Attached Files:

Tele_Luvr, gridlock and DeckerPhan92 like this.
  3. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I tried to flip my control plate backwards cuz every once in a while I hit the lever if it's on the neck pup. But the wires wouldn't let me turn it around. I didn't start yanking cuz I didn't want to mess anything up but I'm not sure there is any slack or extra to do it.

I put strat knobs on mine cuz I've gotten used to having numbers cuz I play a Pbass a lot and had a strat for a while before this Tele. I'm not really a strat guy but I do like the numbers. LOL.

gridlock likes this.
  4. davedederer

davedederer TDPRI Member

My current fave and main guitar is a Squier tele I bought in under 5 min. of shopping at the Boise Guitar Center for $149 while on a road trip. Yes, it required a setup. No, it's not perfect. But no guitar is. Except maybe a PRS or Taylor and I've never gotten any mojo off of one of those. And music is all about mojo.

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

As far as the affinity goes to the Original poster. I'm not sure what color squire I like the best and I don't really love any colors they put out. But yours looks really nice. I think I like the Surf green the best but I've not been wowed by the colors. But that being said, I don't even really like the finish on mine but I'm so impressed with how it plays and sounds, pretty much bone stock.

Attached Files:

gridlock and DeckerPhan92 like this.
  6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Really like the color, congrats!

Just picked up an LPB Bullet (more like Metallic Ice, but i like it). Fun to play right out of the box!

IMG_20200812_164517709.jpg

The Angle, Tele_Luvr and gridlock like this.
  7. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

My first electric guitar was a 50s Japanese Teisco J-1. Sort of looks like a LP Jr. My first Fender was a Japanese Jaguar clone. Only reason I bought it was the guy wanted $5 for it and the store I frequented said he'd give me $10. Made $5 in a few hours. Had several different models since then. Now have 3 teles and 3 strats, and three of these guitars have ebony fretboards, and no maple.

gridlock likes this.
  8. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

I'm not surprised that a cheap Squier is that good. What does surprise me is that there are still people here on these forums that are surprised that a cheap Squier is quite good and often better than an older and more expensive big brand guitar. These threads are full of these kind of stories and because of automated manufacturing we now have access to some of the best build quality guitars in history regardless of their price.

9. DeckerPhan92

DeckerPhan92 TDPRI Member

Squires are very underrated in my opinion.

You see all these Tone Nazis online will tell you that it has to be a certain brand, made in a certain factory, by a certain person within a 5 year span of certain decade in order for it to be good...and guess what? only like 1% of the population can get those guitars and most of us cant hear the difference anyway.

A cheap guitar that sounds good and plays well is always the best because you can dig into it more when you play it. You dont have to be protective over it, so you can take it places and develop more a bond with it. And after a while it just feels like your guitar and some expensive artifact that you have to take care of.

10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Hmm, I have a mint 2020 Fender Am. Pro Daphne Blue Tele with a roasted maple neck and rosewood fretboard you might like. Bought too many guitars during the pandemic and I need to make room in my closet.

Blue Tele.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Tele_Luvr, gridlock, NigeG and 4 others like this.
  11. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

I swear, my cheapest guitar a Squier Esquire I purchased about 2 months ago, is flawless.
    I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb and nothing, and I mean nothing is wrong. Now get this, the intonation
    is spot on E to e. Oh, I know the electronics are doomed for failure, but without question, it's the best cheapest
    guitar I ever purchased.

gridlock likes this.
  12. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I'm still not convinced the pups in my Affinity are all that bad. I've heard some say they are the same as an MIM and some say no. Now the pots maybe are not as good and the switch feels cheap.

I'm not having a difficult time finding tones I like. One of the things I didn't like about my American standard was that it was very difficult to not have it be real twangy to the point that I didn't like the sound. I prefer a bit more smoothness. This affinity and my MIM seemed to be able to give that to me better than the American.

gridlock likes this.
  13. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Oooo, I do like the looks of that one. I also like Fenders white on white.

gridlock likes this.
  14. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

ANY guitar will sound great through the amps in the background!

gridlock likes this.
  15. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

That’s my next Telecaster exactly. A beautiful guitar.

16. gridlock

Thanks, after years of buying, selling, and trading amps, I’ve finally happy with my amp collection.

435524BE-4846-42D7-8D20-7AF10A100D00.jpeg

FortyEight and DjimiWrey like this.
  17. gridlock

The color is actually growing on me.

5BFDA4F1-6026-41AB-A619-0078F44BD434.jpeg

18. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

post apocalyptic firewood :)

19. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

@JRicoC beat me to it, I absolutely love that color. I've never seen this color offered on any other Telecaster. This would be at the top of my short list of colors, no doubt about it.

gridlock likes this.
  20. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah, I'd take that color combo over my butterscotch blonde. It looks decent but I like different and it's a very common color combo lately.

gridlock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.