My first build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by emann, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Another approach is to search out a local woodworker near you. I'll bet you can find one who will re-saw your board for a small fee.

2. emann

emann TDPRI Member

small update...proceeded with another piece of red deal today which i managed to find thicker than the pine i tried before.

the result was much better but i need some advise...note below:
    IMG_20200314_144006714 (1).jpg

Borrowed a reciprocating saw and went ahead:

IMG_20200314_164722265.jpg

Final result...much more satisfied than when i tried going with the hand saw:

IMG_20200314_165314632.jpg

The query is here: note the detail below...should I try to use the belt sander to get rid of the middle part and then plane both pieces for final thickness?

IMG_20200314_170023161.jpg

I also saw this on youtube and am wondering if I should try something similar:

what do you think is the best way forward to continue with this trial before doing the first actual build pls?

3. emann

emann TDPRI Member

had another trial this morning...used belt sander and all went well...up to putting them in the planer to thickness down to 6mm...i finished up with 4mm one side and 6mm the other side...noted at the end that I had to level out the knives of the planer. Well I hope this is the error as then I would need to find another solution. I will leave this trial for next week now as I would really like to resaw the front panel myself for a symmetrical finish under the butterscotch colour.

In the meantime finished planing the body and then glued and into the clamps...1.5" thick body joined up. IMG_20200315_175710554.jpg
    IMG_20200315_180220717.jpg

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd just plane it. I don't think a drill powered thickness sander would allow you to remove much of anything per pass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.