1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first build. Mesquite "tele"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by AZkoaMan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm looking for a few mesquite boards to build a Tweed Deluxe cab. If I can't find them, I'll probably go with redwood. The mesquite would honor the times I lived in Tucson and the redwood when I lived in Humboldt County, CA.

2. AZkoaMan

AZkoaMan Tele-Meister

Either choice would make for a really gorgeous cab. I've done some redwood slab table tops and the color and character of the grain is stunning. If you have never used Waterlox before, give it a try on a piece of scrap. Use the stuff in the red and yellow can labeled "sealer/finish". It goes on like an oil but sets up hard and sands really nicely, and since it penetrates into the wood, it adds a lot of depth to the grain. That's the only finish product I used on my guitar and you can see how it turned out. It's also the primary finish used on any high end, naturally finished furniture piece in my shop. For extra durability, you can use Waterlox like a sealer, sand it, and finish over it with varnish, shellac, or any other compatible finish.

Your idea of honoring your past with your choice of materials is very similar to what I have planned for one of my future guitars. It's something very special that takes it's inspiration from Arizona, the state where I was born and have lived all my life. What I plan to do is something that I don't think has ever been done on a guitar. It will be difficult though. It's going to require the use of some unusual materials, and some precision inlay work, something I have never done before. I know it's kind of a tease to be so vague about my plans, but this will blow some minds if I can pull it off.

3. Reverend D

Reverend D Tele-Meister

And its great stuff to grill with too! :lol: Wonder if I can build something out of a saguaro cactus? :D Hmmm, thunder egg inlays? (Amethyst) Turquiose inlays might look cool too not sure how practical though. Anyway, the Mesquite Tele is very pretty.

Regards,

Don

4. indigotraveller

indigotraveller NEW MEMBER!

@AZkoaManTele-Meister, amigo, this guitar is extraordinary. Wow!

I am seeking 5A figured Mesquite body blanks for two guitars I am planning on building.

It's kinda crazy but if possible I am seeking/considering a one-piece body and neck blank?

I am really inspired by Black Mesquite as it is considered a tonewood very similar to Black Walnut.

Does anyone know where I could find premium mesquite timber for my two guitar builds?

5. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

beautiful stunning, perfectly understated.

6. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Wow, that is a beautiful guitar and I love the creative way you made it your own. Outstanding and impressive build! I love the headstock too, always liked the PRS design.

How does the Waterlox feel on the neck once it’s sanded/buffed?

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

You guys realize this is an 8 year old thread...

8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I may be necroposting here, but gosh that's a nice guitar for a "first build".

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Doh!

Let me rephrase my post... How is the guitar holding up after 8 years?

10. AZkoaMan

AZkoaMan Tele-Meister

Wow! It's kinda crazy that people are still finding this thread all these years later! Thanks for the compliments. The guitar is holding up great. Maybe I'm just sentimental about it but I think it looks prettier now that the wood has aged a bit. My skills as a guitar maker have improved considerably, especially when it comes to neck carving, but I still love the way this guitar turned out. The neck profile is a little funky (kind of a thick D shape) and the body and headstock shapes are a little crude...but I love it. And I have yet to build a guitar that beats it for sustain and tone. I've built guitars that sound equally great in different ways but I haven't beat it. Beginners luck I guess.

To answer one of the questions above; the finish has held up great. It's silky smooth, never sticky feeling like poly or lacquer, and I've never had to reapply it like a pure oil finish.

11. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit Tele-Meister

Id like to see the mesquite bush that top came from myself. I've never seen that big of a hunk of mesquite. Always loved that wood with its yellowy tones in the grain. I turned alot of parker pens out of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.