My First Build - Let The Chips FLY

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Engraver-60, Jan 21, 2009.

1. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think that maybe you should go ahead and make full sized guitars for the children. Sounds like they might be getting a little to big for the mini ones. Keep working you will get there and they will be amazing guitars!! I also here that we are supposed to have good weather this weekend. Maybe you will get lots done. Keep posting!!

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Spent all day yesterday raking the neighborhood leaves (which all end up in our yard), 'cause we were supposed to have a house showing today. It got cancelled, so I am now free to roam about the cabin, and drag out the rubbermaids full of guitar adventures. I'll try to use the Shopsmith with a Ridgid Wet/Dry vacuum to suck the dust, and make some progress. Based on another thread, Jack Wells has confirmed I can make these guitars 18" scale, and use standard gauge strings for standard tuning. The kids have been informed of my intentions to complete by Christmas, and they're excited. So now I am committed (or should be). On an aside - I hand engraved a solid stainless steel "STEEL" for a pro pedal steel player, and spent 2 hours engraving on the round face. I'll post it on my webpage later.

3. Engraver-60

OK - Up From the Dead - It's ALIVE - I will return to this build, once I get the Scrap Paul to make electric amplified sounds. I learned so much building the One That Got Away replacement, that I can incorporate into this old build. Such as Maple top carving, binding the top, making and adjusting the neck, etc. I shall return with info as it becomes available.
    [​IMG]

4. Engraver-60

7 years later, and the KIDS's guitars still aren't done, and the little on is now 15 years old, and 6'-1" tall. Not interested in guitars at all, so the minis languish in the garage - almost done.

guitarbuilder likes this.
  5. Engraver-60

11 years is probably going to the longest anyone on this Forum has taken to complete a build. BUt if not, well I am going for the completion. WFH has allowed me to have afternoons free, so I looked at this again and decided to go for it. The glue is on the perimeter, the center, and clamps are applied.
    everything-caster2[1].jpg evetrything-caster1[1].jpg

This will have a carved sort of slightly flame maple top, binding around the front, controls from the rear; pickups will be mini-bucker at neck, strat middle, tele at bridge. The neck will be flame maple with the other bubinga fretboard (Robt57). 5 way strat style wiring to get that funky bell bottom blues jangle at #2 & #4. We'll see how this goes, if I last long enough.

solfege and Jim_in_PA like this.
  6. Engraver-60

I took the clamps off after about 3 hours. Pretty good joint, with minimal squeeze out. Tomorrow, I am going to run that big honking spiral cutting Whiteside router bit, to clean up the overlaps of the top to the back. I was going to remake my table top for the table router, but i can wait.

7. Engraver-60

I had a few minutes to let some more chips fly - that big honkin Whiteside Carbide Spiral Pattern bit. I got the perimeters of the top and bottom to match now. Virtually no tearout - well a little, but it can easily be sanded out. A little bit of flame shows after some french polish sealer. 0429201908[1].jpg 0429201740[1].jpg

8. Engraver-60

I have tried to contact Mark Crenshaw to see how he contoured his carved top telecasters, but no reply yet. But I did locate his blog:
    http://www.crenshawweb.com/texastele/texasteleproject.htm

and contained in it is the router follower he made and used. So, I am copying that for my version of the carved top tele.
    [​IMG]

I am sure glad I never throw anything away. I found my attempt of a homemade miter fret sawing box in the scraps, and it will work great for the frame. I had already cut some 3/4" thick kiln dried hickory planks (left overs from door threshold project), and they magically will fit as the tongue and router base. Pictures later. This should work well, and maybe even be able to plane the back down on this would be too thick Everything-caster. It now measures over 2.25" thick, so maybe 1/2" of total thickness needs to come off somewhere.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Steveinthesticks likes this.
  9. Engraver-60

I remeasured the thickness and it's about 2.125", and too much trouble right now to thin down. If I can get the Shopsmith running again, I'll Wagner plane it off the back maybe 1/4". I had to modify the carving jig to get enough overhang to reach in deep enough for the carve. This is what I did this morning.

Attached Files:

10. Engraver-60

Sanded a bunch more yesterday and came up with a home made flap sander, 1/2" dowel rod and 80 grit x 2" wide sand paper. carved_clean[1].jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  11. Engraver-60

Pretty nice day yesterday, before the storms rolled in again. I had time to clean out my half of the garage of all the sawdust and got into my tote with all of the Les Paul templates and spare wood. I put a cover on it, and it's stashed away until SP2 (Scrap Paul 2). Meantime, I relocated the flame maple neck blank for the Everything-caster, and the other bubinga fretboard blank. They are going to look great on this guitar. I also ordered another of the Guitar Madness pickups (mini-humbucker, bridge, alnico, chrome cover) for this one, and a couple odds and ends for SP2. Today I ordered a 2-way truss rod for this neck, and located the tuners (6-inline Kluson style - thanks again Guitarbuilder for the generous care packages). I've got really good Rutters parts (Stainless Steel) left over from the cooperative project, but I'm not sure this guitar will warrant such masterpiece quality. I've got the bridge plate, and heel plate (Fender replacement parts - again, TY GB), but now need the tele pickup, saddles, and a Strat middle pickup. I'll hold off on getting any more stuff, until I get the neck underway.

I am trying to do every thing on this one - solid carved top, bound on top; rear mounted controls, 5-way switch (possibly Brent Mason style wiring scheme), more amber burst (to try to perfect the technique); stainless steel frets, simple fret markers on this one.

I keep thinking I need to get the Shopsmith working again, so I can Wagner plane off the 1/4" from the back of the body. I've been putting that off for quite a while.

Guitarbuilder - Thank you, again, ever so much.

12. Engraver-60

UPDATE: Some of my new parts are arriving, some are LOST in the OZONE Again.

I received the Solid Brass Compensated Saddles, and the truss rod, middle strat pickup, and vintage tele pickup should be here today. But the Mini-bucker from Guitar Madness on Staten Island, NY is ???? Supposed to have shipped May 5, for May 9 delivery, and no tracking info. WASSUP GM? Well once the truss rod arrives I can proceed to work on the flamed maple tele neck.

13. Engraver-60

The 2-way truss rod is still not here, or anywhere I can find. No order email verification, and the seller has not replied to my inquiry. I decided to pull the trigger on an Allparts 2-way truss rod, and a few things for LP-#2. Sure wish they have free shipping.

14. Engraver-60

Well - whoopee - the truss rod package arrived - and guess what? The truss rod was not inside. There was a tear in the corner of the parcel, and the rod must've been expelled, extracted, or stolen. Got to love how this stuff happens. I had a similar thing happen to a slotted fretboard gauge a few months ago. Come on people - now figure it out! Hard steel, paper packages - no end caps - wonder what's going to happen? Oh well, the wait game continues.

I did make a router template for the mini-humbucker, though. Thinking about how to do the pickup mountings - should I mount them from the front, and make a flame maple pickguard?

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  15. Engraver-60

Well, luckily, the missing 2-way truss rod will be resent, should arrive Monday, and the other order of parts including 2-way truss rod from Allparts.com should be here Saturday. So, Sunday I might be able to proceed with the neck. ;) I can work on the Shopsmith and try to get it running, so I can Wagner off 1/4" from the back.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  16. Engraver-60

Whassup with the truss rods? Allparts order was delivered yesterday, all parts were there, but the TRUSS ROD was on back order. DOH. GPC parts are supposed to be here today, via USPS - hopefully not another empty package. I did start a 3D Design of Fender Truss rod jig for tele, strat, and even P-bass, many years ago. I actually made the plywood channel, and the side curves, stops for the headstock, and heel. I just never got around to finishing it. I might have to if the TR never shows up.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

LMII recently had their rods on sale and I bought several on spec. If you let me know the length you nee I could see what I've got and send it to you. Another good source of truss rods is BitterRoot. The LMII rods takes a channel 1/4 wide by 3/8 deep.

18. Engraver-60

Thanks, Freeman. The replacement for the one lost in transit from Guitar Parts Central arrived safely this morning. After work, I am going to try install it. I thinks it's 17.25" long. How far back do I cut the groove (from tip of headstock towards the heel)?

19. Engraver-60

Now, I'm not sure if I'll use the bubinga fretboard. I just measured up my Tele Squier neck, and it is only 7/8" thick at the heel and 3/4" thick at the first fret (not counting the fretwire). I may opt to do a one-piece neck, skunk stripe from the back, and let 'er eat. The total plank thickness on the Squier is 15/16" thick, the headstock is 17/32" thick.

If someone can send me the neck side view pdf for a tele neck, I'd appreciate it. All of my Tele Drawings are on a dead hard drive, with no backups. I might find an actual print rolled up in the shop, but that'll take some searching. The reference that I searched for on Gitarrebassau.de "Tele Neck pdf" is no longer there.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  20. Engraver-60

I had a little time today to try to cut the groove for the truss rod. OMG - it is now so difficult since the neck is already preformed to shape of a Tele Neck. I was hoping to just run it up against a fence - no such luck. So I thought and thought, then I figured if I could follow the centerline using the router table fence as a guidel I'd be good. 1-3/4" from centerline of neck to fence would keep the Ridgid square base trim router in line. Then, as I went to test the 1/4" round nose bit ($2 El Cheapo from Workshop Tools at the old Opry Mills, before the Great Flood of 2010) it started to just fall out of the collet. Apparently, in my infinite wisdom, I had sanded the shank down for the old Craftsman router, and forgot it's now undersized. Well, I did manage to get it tightened up, by running it all the to the bottom of the collet recess (don't normally do that). I cut the groove and only had a couple of mis-steps. Luckily it'll be under the fretboard, so no one will know (right). I needed to back away from the chaos. so here's the picture, to prove it happened.
    truss rod booboo.jpg 0519201534.jpg

fenderchamp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.