1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first build....4 string guitar or ukulele?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JayneV, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i like it jayne...it really does look good...eye catching unique and interesting...the flash highlights the shape and contours in a tasteful way...graceful and flowing...do we get a twirl?....i AM impressed nice to see she is wearing a matching bonnet too
    maybe more ladies should design guitars

crazydave911 and JayneV like this.
  2. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

100% of the credit for the shape goes to @John Backlund, I will accept credit for the colour, purple is my favourite colour, the dark, deep purple variety. The highlights in the drawing are intended to represent light reflections from a high gloss finish. Hope I can replicate the effect on the real thing. Painting isn’t one of my strengths and the paint job could make or break the look. But this is my first build and very much a learning exercise so any mistakes are things I know not to do next time.

Jim_in_PA, Wulf and crazydave911 like this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

You on your own however chose the much more flexible tenor guitar. Learning how to build and play a tenor was a great joy to me, there's only so many weird guitars you can make and I can't stand most of them :lol: Take care

Dave

Wulf and JayneV like this.
  4. crazydave911

I've been saying THAT for years ;)

Wulf and JayneV like this.
  5. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Hey everyone! Just wanted to make a quick post to say that there won’t be much build action happening this week. I will busy with other things. Hopefully I will also get a chance to squeeze in a a few minutes work on the guitar now and then. Hope you all have a wonderful week!

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

It’s my last nightshift at work tonight before going onto my rostered 4 days off. Can’t wait to get back to making some sawdust. The weather is not going to be very friendly this weekend, so I may have to limit myself to mornings only. Temps are expected to hit 39C (102F) - YUCK!

With the truss rod, I’m thinking of mounting it so that the adjuster nut is at the heel end of the neck, something similar to this...
    upload_2020-11-27_21-37-54.jpeg

What are your thoughts? The truss rod I have has a hex key adjuster nut.

crazydave911 and trev333 like this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

A truss rod nut at the rear is easier to build, but a little more difficult to adjust, as you need some access cavity for it. If you have a pickguard, that may need to be removed too to get to it.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, it's getting warm through the day.... right now at 9pm it's 25C and I've got a flanno on.... feeling a tad cool...

9. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

That’s what I thought. Once the guitar is set up, how often would you you expect to adjust the truss rod? If it isn’t very often, then it wouldn’t matter if it is a bit harder to get access to it. I was thinking access through the neck pickup cavity.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Trev, don’t you Queenslanders always feel cool when the temp dips below 30? :p

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

mostly..:cool:.... when the air dries out and there's less humidity I start to feel cool...

we like our warm steam blanket...:D

JayneV likes this.
  12. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

You can have the steam, I’m not compatible with too much heat and humidity.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. crazydave911

:lol::lol: that heel adjust is my preference. Build a stiff, straight neck, adjust it maybe twice in 20 years? With the woods you guys have there? Geeeez maybe once :)

Dave

JayneV likes this.
  14. crazydave911

Then again my necks with reinforcing bar you adjust by pulling the frets, reradius the board then new frets
    With my oldest, that's once in 31 years;)

Dave

JayneV likes this.
  15. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

The temperature got up to 41C at my place yesterday so doing anything in the garage was out of the question. I sketched out the pattern on the neck blank and marked the position for the tuner holes. That was about the only thing I could do in the comfort of air conditioning inside the house. I don’t like the heat of the summer very much, give me a cold winters day anytime. Too much heat makes me grouchy and whiny (insert toddler like tantrum here :confused::eek::cry:o_O:lol:).

Today’s is going to be a repeat of yesterday’s weather. Argh! Oh well, time to become familiar with Fusion 360 and work on designing my next project, an electric Greek bouzouki! I seem to have caught some kind of bug, the kind of bug that makes me want to built a string instrument. :D

Hope you all have a great day!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I could be wrong, but I don’t think we have ever had a Greek bouzouki build thread before...

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  17. crazydave911

No, but I've always wanted one :D

JayneV likes this.
  18. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

I might get to start a new trend. :p When I have a design figured out, I'll start a thread. The bouzouki will have more thought put into the design phase than the tenor guitar did.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I think making a traditional Greek bowl backed bouzouki would be an incredibly difficult undertaking. I have worked on bowl backed (neapolitan) mandolins to repair cracks and I can't imagine trying to scratch built one. There are plans available at several locations for Irish bouzouki's which in my mind would not only be much easier to build (more or less like an acoustic guitar) but much easier to play. I have a friend who plays one as part of contemporary acoustic music.

Like your current build, I'll be watching this.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

It won't be a traditional Greek bouzouki. I don't think I would have the patience or skill required to glue all those strips of timber to form a bowl back. Eeek! The thought of doing that is hurting my brain! My version will have a solid(ish) body with a flat back and be purely electric, still bouncing ideas around in my head. I haven't been able to find a great deal of information on Greek bouzoukis yet. There seems to be much more for the Irish version. From what little information I have found so far, it seems that the Greek bouzouki usually has a longer scale (around 670mm) than the Irish version. I used to have a bouzouki that my mother bought for me during a trip to Greece when I was a child. It was a cheap one but would have been very useful to take measurements from. I don't know what ever happened to that bouzouki, haven't seen it in close to 35 years. Too bad. I want to built something based on the Greek bouzouki due to my Greek heritage.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.