1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first build....4 string guitar or ukulele?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JayneV, Nov 8, 2020.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

The idea was this, I was given an SX mini Strat and looked forward to it :), but alas same skinny neck and not 23" scale as advertised, 22.75. And the pickups were anemic, not the usual SX standard. Guess there's a bottom of the barrel in everything. Well I had a good set of pickups and a piece of maple. So decided to make a man sized 23" scale neck for it and hotrod the thing lol. You'll find a 23" scale a theme with me. I build lapsteels, my tenor, my Melody Maker and even my latest 12 around it.

16055537532528595758271402577554.jpg
    Sexy isn't she? :lol:

Well every time I start a build I make a scale length template to avoid damaging my good one made from aluminum (by me lol). Well it's done it's job so I don't need it, and the old neck I can make a heel pattern on cardstock. BTW, a bolt on neck end in the body is a heel, on a glue in neck it's a tenon. Well I can cut it about the middle so it fits in a postal express envelope along with the heel pattern and a way to rejoin the template. I'll cut it with a fret saw, and since I have binding that size (for fake frets) you just glue it back together. What with you say? I use hobby glue for RC airplanes. Looks like Elmer's, cleans up with water and glues plastic to wood :D.

Here it is,
    . 16055545710213752168604677212322.jpg

Of course not the neck but the nut width would make a good 4 string tenor at 38.1mm.
    BTW, all I did before was lookup the metric equivalent of numbers I knew by heart. Google is your friend :). Now if you want a printout in whole or in part find the T Downs drawing and download it. Back when I had a printer I'd open it in Adobe, set the printer to tiling and poof, the entire thing in 4 A4 sheets with alignment marks. I also would printout points of interest, the neck pocket, pickups etc. So I could as many have take the Tele arrangement to other bodies. All the dimensions are there in imperial but I do know there is a metric version somewhere, I saw it twice. Ask Marty (Guitar builder) he has a much better memory than I.
    Well there's my idea, PM with the address if interested. And send me the link to that blog! :lol:

Dave​

dazzaman, Wulf and JayneV like this.
  2. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Hey Dave! That is a generous offer, thank you. I’ve sent you a PM. Also thanks for the terminology, now I know the difference between a heel and a tenon. So my guitar neck will have a heel because it’s going to be bolted on. Got it!

Are you using that guitar body as the base of your chair in the photo? I like it!

I did a search for the T Downs drawings. The links posted by Terry for the drawings all go to a website that doesn’t seem to exist anymore but I believe I found the same drawing on other websites with help from my good friend Google.

I used the Adobe tile print method to reproduce the full-size pattern for my project. It’s a great way to make large prints using A4 paper, just take care when joining the pages together so they are aligned as accurate as possible. I found an acoustic tenor guitar drawing which I used the neck dimensions. That was 25 A4 pages joined together for the full size drawing. I was confused with the fret spacing on that drawing. It has a 23” scale but the frets on the drawing are way off when compared to the figures generated by the stew Mac calculator. I triple checked the numbers I put into the calculator and even used some other online calculators for comparison. They were all the same so I’m thinking the drawing might be wrong or the frets are set up in a way I don’t understand. The drawing printed to the correct 1:1 scale because when I measure various dimensions with a ruler, they match what is written on the drawing.

Are you referring to my personal blog? It’s https://jaynevar.wordpress.com/.
    I’m still trying to figure out the best way to write a blog. I’m not real great with social media, I don’t even have a Facebook account. :lol:

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The heel maybe?

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  4. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Yes, the heel, thank you. Dave answered that question for me.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. crazydave911

You are going to make me feel good I'd you aren't careful. One thing I forgot is on glue in necks the pocket in the body is the mortice, simple woodworking terms not remotely related to guitars lol. Take care and you are most welcome :)

Dave

JayneV likes this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

What a nice thing your making JayneV
    looks intersting and fun
    try different tunings and string sizes till you find what works best for you and your marvellous machine
    good luck with it
    im impressed....is it a uke or tenor guitar??...its your baby ...call it whatever you want
    i play six string banjo...an often misunderstood instrument with many names

crazydave911 and JayneV like this.
  7. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Thanks Wulf. I’m having a ball building it. It started life destined to be a solid body electric baritone uke with a 20” scale but has evolved to become a tenor guitar with a 23” scale. Maybe it is a ukitar or guitalele. I’m calling it a guitar because I like the sound of guitar more than a ukulele, but with my complete lack of experience in building and not knowing how to play, who knows what the end product will sound like. :lol: The build process is very enjoyable and relaxing even if it ends up being just a piece of wall art.

crazydave911 and Wulf like this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i will say...making a machine like that...you will fit right in here
    its quirky and eccentric...and beyond the so called "norm"...perfect
    again well done!
    would be nice to hear it

crazydave911 and JayneV like this.
  9. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

When it is finished, I will have to find somebody that knows how to play and record a tune. I may be able to pluck “Mary had a little lamb” using my very limited violin skills. Lol

Jim_in_PA, crazydave911 and Wulf like this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

whatever you call it..its a beut...i love building music toys from odds n sods too...went through a phase of making basses from tea chests...put word out i wanted a tea chest...next thing i had 10 of em!
    you will have fun learning to play...its your creation and there are no rules...your machine...play it as YOU want!

JayneV likes this.
  11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

funny you said mary had a little lamb...yrs ago for fun my band did a swinging rock n roll version of it....got a few giggles.
    unfortunately my arms arent long enough to reach Oz
    i write and record my own stuff

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  12. crazydave911

And NO that body is not a seat! Lol, it's my very late entry into the Brotherhood Build. We just started it this year and have several ladies but none entered :(. Hopefully all will wanna go next year and you can enter :D. FYI I have a perfectly good wheelchair cushion for my roller so there :rolleyes: :lol:

Dave​

Wulf and JayneV like this.
  13. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Oops, my bad! :oops: I thought you may have made a themed seat. It’s given me an idea to make a garage stool shaped like my first guitar project.

crazydave911 and Wulf like this.
  14. crazydave911

:lol::lol::lol: How hilarious, you MIGHT want to reconsider having all those pointy parts under your lady bits but hey, that's just me. I have a JB design he actually gave me permission to build that MIGHT work better

received_716992495458070.jpeg

But your choice lol

FYI instructions incoming

Dave

WalthamMoosical, Wulf and JayneV like this.
  15. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Hmmm, didn't think of that, may need to reconsider that seat idea. :lol: Love that design, looking forward to following your progress.

I didn't ask John for permission to base my guitar on his design. I've been told he is around this forum somewhere, anyone know what his username is? I would like to send him a message, I'd feel a lot better if I had his permission.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

@John Backlund , it's breakfast time here in the UK and the middle of the night in the USA, so could be a while before John replies. You might like to offer to build one for John. He has a collection of"his" guitars.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm flattered that you chose to make your instrument based in my model 400 guitar. You don't actually need my permission to build something like that for your own use, and is not originally intended for resale, but I thank you for the courtesy regardless. It's an interesting project, and quite fun to watch it's progress on these pages. Keep at it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  18. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Hi John, I just sent you a PM. Thanks for having a look at my build thread. I feel much better continuing this build with your approval, thank you. I will build it to the best of my abilities.

19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Perhaps a future challenge build theme could be to design and build an instrument which @John Backlund might have designed, which John could judge?

20. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'd go along with that idea, though my only stipulation would be that the instrument to be created must be either an accordian or bagpipes...guitars are too easy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.