1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first build....4 string guitar or ukulele?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JayneV, Nov 8, 2020.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

If nothing else, consider blonde shellac. Shellac sticks to anything and you can cover it with anything. So if you discover a dream finish, just scuff it with 400 sandpaper and spray it :D

JayneV likes this.
  2. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Good point about addressing vibrations from the back cover. I did consider that and agree, a rattle would be undesirable. I have a few different materials around to experiment with.

Thank you for the offer of purple dye. Rit Dye is available here, and is easy enough to find so no need to worry about dealing with snail paced mail. I appreciate the offer anyway. :)

crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
  3. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

I have never used shellac before. Are there any special requirements with the application process or do you just apply it.

I spent a little time in the wood finishes aisle of the paint department at the hardware and I was bamboozled by how many different products are available. So many choices, and that didn't include any fancy finishes you could find in a specialty paint shop.

crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
  4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I wasn't going to send RIT dye, I have two different Purple dyes, one came from Germany and the other from Crimson guitars in the UK. The one from Germany is in a little foil envelope. The Crimson is a highly concentrated liquid in a tiny bottle....

They are yours if you want them, but like I mentioned, the shipping could take a month or two to get to you!

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  5. John Nicholas

As long as the surface is dry and clean, you can apply the shellac with a brush, rag or fingers if you want! It's a very forgiving finish to apply. I like to apply a more durable finish over shellac.

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  6. crazydave911

I was simply suggesting she use shellac for now, that will give her ample time to experiment on scrap and whatever she finds then will cover over shellac nicely ;)

JayneV and John Nicholas like this.
  7. John Nicholas

I totally understood what you were suggesting, it's a great idea for most finishes. Although not so good if you choose to dye the wood! ;)

crazydave911 and JayneV like this.
  8. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

I assumed you were talking about rit dye because it was being discussed a few pages back in this thread. Thank you once again, it is a very kind offer you made however I will politely decline the offer. You are right about shipping being slow and often unpredictable these days. I’ve decided not to use dye. A translucent finish would look amazing if the grain was worth showing off. In the case of my guitar, the wood is two piece of a plank from the hardware store glued together to achieve the desired thickness. The plank was manufactured by glueing thin strips together. The straight seems are not overly appealing to look at, ok if you want to build an IKEA style shelf. I could almost convince myself to like the stripe effect on the front and back but when I look at the mismatched end grain on the edges I want to cover it over. So I’ve decided to paint instead. For future builds I will be more selective with the wood.

John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  9. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

The shellac is a good idea for a temporary finish. I am becoming a little impatient with the slow down in progress :D I tend to procrastinate before taking a big step forward. The same happened while building the neck. The finish is an important step because it affects the entire look of the guitar. The wrong finish or a poorly applied finish could spoil the entire look of the guitar, so I’m hesitant to proceed until I’m confident (or run out of patience :lol:). On the other hand the neck has 10 coats of spray wax, that should be enough. I’ll buff it today, and start installing the frets. So progress hasn’t halted completely.

10. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Buffed the neck today and pressed the frets in with my makeshift fret (drill) press. It's a pretty crude setup the way I did it, but it worked.
    IMG_1068.jpg IMG_1069.jpg IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg

Also taped up the cavities on the body and was about to apply some undercoat when I realised the undercoat may not be fully compatible with the paint. That could have turned into a headache! :eek: I'm not sure undercoat is necessary. None of test samples have undercoat except for one.
    IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1073.JPG

11. crazydave911

Again, use shellac for your primer, or undercoat as you say. It's cheap, can be sprayed,brushed or rubbed on and will give you a good idea how smooth your sanding really is before the paint hits it. Better to have to sand down cheap shellac than precious paint ;)

12. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

When you talk about shellac, is that a generic term for clear varnish or are you referring to the natural stuff that comes from the lac bug? I ask because shellac seems more expensive than the paint I have and not as popular as many other coatings here. It looks like shellac is sold as flakes which you mix yourself, is that like the stuff you are talking about?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/feast-watson-250g-shellac-flakes_p1567019

https://restorerschoice.com.au/product/dewaxed-blonde-shellac-flakes-french-polish

13. crazydave911

Natural stuff from the bug, I'd be astounded if you can't find any in a city that large and I was right

https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/tec...OE7NvzVctD9GEfaUH_boobOKrLURbhUkaAoEuEALw_wcB

Curiously, the largest use is for manicures and pedicures. You may in fact be wearing some now lol. It does appear flakes are the norm there which would mean you'd also need denatured alcohol, methalated spirits won't cut due to water content. My dad used moonshine which I do also. DNA around animals is dangerous and I love mine :). The upside of flakes is you get to choose the color you like. I have an amber from Egypt sold in Israel that is sublime and getting low. Given that Egyptians were the first widespread users that is no surprise. It was used in embalming to coat the cloth strips that were found flexible and pliable 3000 years later so yeah, good stuff :D

John Nicholas and JayneV like this.
  14. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Forgive my ignorance. I get confused when referring to a product that has been around for eons because people would often use the name of the original product as a general description to include multiple modern day substitutes. It’s funny you mention shellac nail polish because most nail salons would use the terms gel and shellac interchangeably and most of those products (even the ones that claim are shellac) are some type of synthetic developed in a lab. I also thought DNA and Methylated Spirits were one and the same from a previous google search I did to find out what denatured alcohol was. The web link you provided for the shellac is the only place I’ve seen that says DNA and methylated spirits are not the same.
    I’m confused. :confused: Lol

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. crazydave911

You aren't alone, I could go 8 miles to Home Depot or Lowes and get shellac in a quart can or spray can ready to go no more than $15 so what Is is up to I have no idea. Also in the same aisle, turn around and get a can of DNA. I would suggest getting to know someone in a cabinet or other woodworking company. On the ground experience trump's google every time

Dave

John Nicholas and JayneV like this.
  16. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Frets are finished. The neck is complete now except for the nut.

IMG_1077.JPG

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

salsa jars are good for small batches of shellac.... nice open tops to get brushes in....

I never bother with exact ratios.... a few pinches of flakes in the jar with some metho, sit it in the sun for a bit/overnight to get it all dissolved... you can add stains/tints as well...

for a seal coat I slap it on with a brush or a rag to give it a good soak or a few coats... let it dry off and flat sand back....

finish coats with shellac takes a bit more care/practice to get streak free coats.... it's pretty forgiving... :)

shellac1.jpg

18. crazydave911

You tell her Trev :D

JayneV likes this.
  19. crazydave911

Bloody marvelous for your first :D

JayneV likes this.
  20. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Thank you for the advice and the compliment. I do appreciate all the help and advice I am receiving, you have all been so generous. Please don't be offended or mad at me for going down a different path. I went to a paint shop today to buy something to use as a primer/undercoat. I ended up getting a grey tinted undercoat to use below the purple which I was assured is fully compatible with the wood and the paint. This should let the purple have full coverage and properly bond. I did ask if they had any shellac. They usually stock one kind of shellac flakes but were out of stock so that wasn't an option anyway. I didn't want to order online because delivery times are hit and miss, sometimes they are quick and other times they are incredibly slow. We are also encouraged not to travel too much if it isn't necessary at the moment so I didn't want to drive all over to find a place that sells shellac.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.