1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first attempt at Pinstipe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NastyMojo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I've been thinking about learning how to pinstripe. This is my first attempt using a virtual guitar builder,and then posting it in paint and using my mouse.
    Anybody like it? Should I try to proceed in learning?

[​IMG]

2. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Honestly, to me PSing looks crappy on a Guitar. Wasn't that something folks did to cars in the 80's?

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

This is just me, but I'm not crazy about pinstriping. I don't mind a bit of really subtle pinstriping, but for the most part I prefer a nice plain or burst. Just me, though. To each their own.

4. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

I dig it. You should give it a shot! I'd be very interested to know how the pinstriping process goes for you.

5. NightBoss

NightBoss TDPRI Member

Great thing about learning to pinstripe....it's easy to try. All you need are good brushes and any flat surface until you are ready to try it on your favorite guitar.

Practice and try different techniques on scrap lumber, the refrigerator door, the garage wall, the fenders of your neighbors car, the cats litter box, your wife's washer and dryer.......

6. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Started on buggies around the turn of the century (1900) actually, with the 1950's considered the 'golden age' of hot rod style pinstriping. Like any other art form, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Only have striping on one of mine, but I really dig it. My preference is for a symmetrical layout, but as I'm sure you've seen already - anything goes. Not every example I've seen is to my liking, but I certainly can appreciate and admire the individuality it brings to an instrument.

As far as striping your own, the right tools and lots of practice seems to be the key to a good job. In high school a buddy of mine decided to try his hand at it. Everything that didn't move got striped - the lawn mower, garbage pails, a mailbox, bikes, lamps, a toilet seat...

I was lucky enough to have a master striper nearby who did this project for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Guys!

8. Hugh DeMann

Hugh DeMann TDPRI Member

I think the striping on this is very cool. Seems to have some type of "leaf" along with the striping.

Full disclosure - I did not stripe this nor do I own the guitar. I saw it hanging in a guitar store.

Attached Files:

9. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Love the pinstripping. When I have a little extra money, I might have some done on my strat .

10. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

This is nice

I do like this. Very nice.

11. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

I think it looks cool.

12. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

Honestly I don't really dig it.

13. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Although every so often one may turn out ok, I just dont see the point. It takes away from the simple beauty of the guitar, I think.

14. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

I tend to think of Fender guitars and cars from the '50s and '60s as kissin' cousins. So applying some auto customizing techniques to guitar is not a big stretch for me.

Gibson guitars - not such a good idea.

15. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

To me Fender Guitars are Hot Rods. Take em apart,change em up,check out the junkyard or (internet) and customize. Its about individuality for me.I mean everybody has seen a PRETTY guitar before,but how many have seen a Telecaster with with no knobs,a single 6 position gear shifter tone switch,with 3 Tv Jones Filter Trons,a Gibson Vibrola Tremolo tail piece,a neck made diamond plated steel and flames painted on the body? :D

16. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

I liked the look of racing stripes, but then John Mayer had that signature guitar with it, and I think that kind of made it a moot point (I don't hate Mayer and do like a few of his tunes, but I don't play any Mayer nor do I have any desire to). Instead of pinstripes, you could go with a flat black finish... rat rod that sucker.

I agree with everyone here, though, get a lot of practice before you start striping a guitar. Unless you're already adept at detail painting, it'll take a little bit to get the hang of it. Curves are one of the hardest things to draw, period.

17. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Don't ask anybody if you should proceed. If it's in you, you're going to do it regardless of other opinions. I'd say the fact that you went as far as trying the virtual route is a good indicator. Can't remember where I read it but, "the boy got the boogie woogie in him and it's gonna' come out!":D

18. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Go for it if you want to. It's your guitar to do with as you see fit. If somebody else doesn't like it, then tough!

It looks like you're going for something similar to Billy Gibbons custom Esquire appearance. If it works then good for you. I think he's also got an LP that's got some subtle pinstriping on it, if I remember he uses it on one song on the Live From Texas dvd. That looks cool as well.

But then almost anything the Rev does or has looks kinda cool to me!!

19. brownman

brownman TDPRI Member

I love pinstripping. When done properly pinstripping looks really cool on guitars. :D

20. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Tele-Afflicted

I like this one, but it's too expensive for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.