1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first and only strat build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by P Thought, Jun 29, 2019.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I use a jigsaw all the time,a good saw and Bosch bits and take your TIME. It also helps I profile with a spindle sander and am left handed lol. When cut with the left hand the blade tends to swing wide of line. The right hand cuts too close

P Thought likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is more progress than it looks like it is:

rough fir body.jpg

It means I committed to starting over on the body, with the fir blank as I intended in the first place, rather than spending any more time trying to correct my mistakes on the cedar body. I hobbled out to the garage and wrestled the jigsaw around the line, nice and wide so it could wander on the bottom (and it did). That's enough for today. Now I get to do several things better, like cavity depths, trem post hole location, neck screw holes, neck template, finish. . . . And a one-piece fir body was the original idea for the whole project. . . .

That's enough activity for today, hips you know. Maybe I'll rout off the sides tomorrow, and maybe a cavity or two. Maybe I'll rest a while first.

Edit: as I think I've mentioned before this kind of work is best done while Mrs. Thought is off on Grandma Duty. Otherwise I'll be trying to explain the inexplicable, and that's no help to anyone.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    crazydave911 and Zepfan like this.
  3. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

I'll be here silently watching if you need a translation! ;)

That body wood is really nice.

crazydave911 and P Thought like this.
  4. P Thought

Don't look too close!

1610063225787-1104517940.jpg

I'm about pooped out for today. Tomorrow I'll rasp out those contour cuts and see what I can do with some of the router marks I accidentally left, maybe drill some holes.

5. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Fir is the best guitar wood ever, imho.

But..

When sanding, the harder dark rings are always proud of the lighter wood.

Drives me off a cliff.

6. P Thought

One of the things I'm going to like best about this guitar is that it's going to feel kind of like a board in my hands.

I'm going to hit it with the random orbit sander and some pretty heavy Grit on a few little router dings around the edges. Then I'll go up to I don't know 400 grit or so and whatever is between the rings will be OK.

I'm anxious to see how the Tru-Oil looks (and feels) on it. By the way, knocking on the body makes a nice ringing sound. I'm thinking that's a good sign.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Newbcaster and crazydave911 like this.
  7. P Thought

:eek: Look what I found!

1610170698467706037822.jpg

About half a bottle. I knew I had some of this around somewhere.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Be careful if that container of finish is "old"...older oil based products sometimes don't cure well or gum up in the container.

P Thought likes this.
  9. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

10. P Thought

Resting a while. I'm worrying (among other things) about locating the holes correctly for the neck screws and the trem posts, and then drilling them straight and true.

1610299320172-210634899.jpg

I'm not quite done with the contour cuts. The Sureform (sp?) planes work well, but the fir is a good bit harder than the cedar was.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. P Thought

Thanks, good point.

I already chucked one bottle because of that. This one's newer, but not at all new. I'll try some on a scrap or two, and I still have the Tru-Oil to fall back on. I'll check that out on scraps, too.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

This what I do and it works better than trying to layout lines. I print out the pdf neck portion and cut it out with a hobby knife. I use a small phillips head screwdriver to press down in the centers. Then I dril. with a brad point bit.

print out a neck drawing for hole locations.jpg

cut it out with a sharp hobby knife.jpg

13. crazydave911

Or in a pinch use a neck plate, even if you aren't using one :)

Dave

P Thought likes this.
  14. P Thought

I have a plan. :cool: What size holes for the neck screws?

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. crazydave911

I normally use 5/32 I think

P Thought likes this.
  16. P Thought

Coming along...

16107551896251173342431.jpg

There's a stint of Grandma Duty going on, so I'm making another run at this. I have some holes to drill (I have the neck and bridge ones marked off), pickguard to wire (I might take that in, have someone do it who knows how), nut to cut, sanding and finishing the body. I haven't even opened the pickups yet, but I can't wait to hear them!

I'm glad I re-did the body. I couldn't stop myself posing the parts together to see what the guitar might look like. Everything fits pretty well, and the trem has room to move. There are several router divots; whichever ones won't sand out will give it some character. I'm thinking of giving it a little more character with my woodburner, anyway. I may or may not glue in some chips to fix where my 2" beast of a router bit threw itself against the template; I was just glad it didn't send the whole shootin' match flying.

My goal is to have everything ready and a couple coats of oil on the body by the time Grandma gets home. Unless I get brave enough to drill the holes by hand, I'll wait for Monday and see if I can't sneak into somebody's shop that has a drill press.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    87Lion and crazydave911 like this.
  17. crazydave911

I'll never get used to that extra pot putting the volume so high. But other than that quite beautiful :). A clear coat on a Strat is almost unheard of :D

Dave

P Thought likes this.
  18. P Thought

@crazydave911, I was re-thinking today about your switch suggestion. I kind of like the idea, if I understand it right. We'll have to see. Do you have any pictures of a strat with that mod? I've never played a strat, so. . . .

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  19. P Thought

Note the bone powder. The blank's about right for length and thickness. Now for the tricky part:

1610765248442-595379732.jpg

I have 6 more blanks, in case I mess this up. I've cut nuts before, but long ago enough that I have to remember how. I wisely saved this cut-down pencil from my last nut job, and I do have a set of slot files.

Edit: I just noticed something, after playing a couple of my blueprint teles for an hour or so. Nuts are easy to make: file to the line, shade the top angle toward the tuners, file the slots (after the guitar is strung up) to the appropriate depth. Easy-peasy.

The nuts I made before are strangely comfortable. They both have corners sticking out in spots, and I can feel them when I play down at the nut, but that's just character. Sometimes I think I'll file them down some more at the next string change, but then I don't. The guitars sound and play great.

Here's a phone-picture of the nut on Lester:

1610827340065138455022.jpg

and here's the one on Nonchie:

1610827396569-894791722.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

how cool building your own guitars, I'm impressed by the fact. I seems like a lot of people here make there own instrument , amps pedals I had no idea that you were a builder.
    You may find this hard to believe but wait, in the section of the volumes that have the history of previous laws and current laws, there is a very specific law that I'm flatter by and pissed of about , what's the word ? AMBIVOLENT, that's it , I had to pause until the rolodex in my head slowed down enough for me to read the cards , anyway, ambivalent oh yeah there's this obscure law that says ping-ping clicka is forbidden from ever using a soldiering gun, or owning a soldering gun/iron/thingy or checking one out from the Berkeley tool library this includes all power tool as well as anything with a point on it.
    I'm not very good with my hands to an unusually significate level..

Blue Bill, crazydave911 and P Thought like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.