1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My first and only strat build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by P Thought, Jun 29, 2019.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

2. crazydave911

Not EXACTLY how I do it but close enough

3. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting. I'll give that some thought. Is it a rotary switch, so you can use conventional knobs?

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. crazydave911

Just a little toggle switch

P Thought likes this.
  5. P Thought

Thanks for this. VERY helpful. I think if I make a 7/16" floor* over the bottom two pickup spaces, and make if from a relatively harder piece of fir, I'll make a better grab for the trem screws, as well as fixing the depth of both cavities. Borrowing methods from a video called "Uncle Duke's Homemade Hog Trough" on YouTube, I'm going now after my old dull miter saw and its wore-out rusty box.

Hmm. that sounds like a nominal 1/2" plywood thickness. Maybe. . . .

I shoulda been a file clerk. I found a piece of leftover 1/2" birch cabinet plywood. I'm tuckered now and have to rest my back. I'll finish this up tomorrow cavity floor.jpg

I think this will be a good boo-boo fix.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  6. P Thought

There are no instructions with the trem assembly, so I'm saving this video for later.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ins...ome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_4MKVX4vPIIeJ-gS3l774CQ8

I routed the back cavity to 5/8" depth, took 1/16" off the piece I put in from the front. It doesn't look like the bumpy spots will interfere with the tremolo. I have the body hanging now with its second coat of tung oil finish. I had to use Minwax, because no one in town seems to carry Formby's any more. It will be fine. Probably 6 or 8 more coats, with steel wool and naphtha in between.

2nd coat.jpg

I probably ought to patch in some more of that birch ply, since it's the right thickness and all, give the trem-post inserts a little more to hang on to (a good idea considering that knot right where the insert goes), and while I'm at that I could fill in the top pickup cavity just for looks. Or maybe I'll leave it alone. Advice welcome from experienced trem installers. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  7. P Thought

I like this pickguard better. I got the tuners on, maybe today I'll get a nut roughed out. The finish is coming along.

red guard, tuners.jpg

Executive decision: I'm done with the finish. This Minwax is different from Formby's Tung Oil. Shinier, more plasticky. And this is a body I'm building for practice, to learn how to build my next one, so I don't want a fancy finish to overshadow its other "perfections". I'll hunt down a bottle of Formby's next time, or find Tru-Oil. . . ?

The pickups should be here any day. I'll get to putting this together.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That’s starting to look really good. The body finish is toning in nicely with the neck. Can’t wait to see more!

P Thought and crazydave911 like this.
  9. P Thought

I'm working out a few problems, all of which of course I caused myself:

1) can't find any nut blanks. I know I have at least three or four.

2) I hand-drilled for the neck screws. Got three of the four holes on target.

3) Need to rout deeper for the switch, but my trem bridge is in the way.

4) I need to take it off anyway and fix the lower-side post attachment, which is a
    little outside of where I want it. Might have to dowel and redrill.

Did I mention, this is my first strat body, and I'm making it for practice? Still there's a nice feel to it. . . .

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. P Thought

Progress report: I have done nothing toward fixing any of the problems listed above. I'm frozen in my tracks. I am the worst bit of body builder in the world.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. P Thought

Progress report: I've been stalled completely at the point you see above, having had surgery on one hip, and recovered almost to the point where it's time to do the other one. But I heard from Don Mare that it's my turn on his workbench, so the pickups will be here soon. Shipping delays would not surprise me, because I've seen some remarkable things with other mail transactions. I think the pickups will be worth the wait; my other two Mare sets were.

I don't know when I'll be able to do it physically, but I've about decided to set aside the cedar body--I can always go back to it later--and use what I learned in screwing it up to do a better job in shaping a good body from one of the fir blanks. I think they've probably seasoned long enough now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  12. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Hope you're back on your feet soon. I know I often set projects aside for a while at the best of times! No shame there ;) Looking forward to progress when you can.

13. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Whatever trem you get, do yourself a favor and buy the bent steel saddles from Fender or Callahan.

You'll find the guitar become quite fender-y with those saddles.

Also, with that luscious oil finish consider a wood pickguard. Just a thought.

Also, it seems to me the tone controls can be push push.. both of them. One for the Clapton boost and one for series parallel?

I think so. Makes for a cleaner, true to Hoyle pickguard.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    P Thought likes this.
  14. P Thought

I've pretty well got all the parts I'm going to got for this build, so changes will have to be mods for later. I think the box for the trem said Fender on it. . . ?

I do need to find a different finish for the fir body--can't find Formby's in town for some reason--that Minwax stuff is 'way too plasticky. I've heard good things about Tru-Oil, but don't know where to find any.

I'm not sure how I can safely cut out and rout the new body. It was hard enough stumbling in and out of my garage for the tools I needed, without having to use a walker. Och, tamale.

crazydave911 and Newbcaster like this.
  15. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Hereyago!!!!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I14QUU/?tag=tdpri-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WSNC4N/?tag=tdpri-20

https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/202...allel-wiring-to-a-tele-using-a-push-pull-pot/

crazydave911 and P Thought like this.
  16. P Thought

Thanks! I'll fire off an order for the Tru-Oil today, and commence to thinking about the pots and wiring. All things wiring are Dutch to me; I am electronically retarded. It takes me much study to come up with even a dim understanding. :oops:

Actually, I might even take this one (first strat) in to my favorite guitar fixer when the pickups come, at least for the wiring. I've done it some, but soldering is not my strong suit.il

Edit: before I ordered the Tru-Oil I looked for Formby's. It's like $60-80 a bottle! Apparently it's been discontinued, bought out by Minwax, and all that's available is NOS. Pretty disappointing to me--sad when good products are killed with competitors' cash--but I'm sure the Tru-Oil will be fine for me. I'm really not looking to build any more guitars. If I were I'd order a couple-three bottles of Formby's even at the horrible price, before they're gone completely. And, unless I find I'm wrong about what they did, that does it for me with Minwax. I'll paint with 'possum poop before I ever use their products again.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Newbcaster and crazydave911 like this.
  17. P Thought

:eek: THE PICKUPS ARE HERE!

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. crazydave911

Truoil despite the name, is a varnish, made a lot like my dad's home brewed stains. The walnut stain of his I used on my banjo neck applied just like Truoil. Also two coats and a little more than a teaspoon. That's good stuff. Go to their website and they have wood filler,stain the oil and polish. All good products I have used ;)

P Thought likes this.
  19. P Thought

TruOil it is. It's on the way.

I guess I'd better hobble out there and cut out the blanks. I only have a handheld jigsaw, have to give it a wide berth off the line. I can't drive my truck yet, or I'd go use a bandsaw I know about.

Hmmm. Maybe I can get a ride. Maybe I can get a friend to cut it out for me. Maybe I'm stuck in the mud.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  20. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Love the finish!

I'm not sure which trem you chose, if you chose a 6 point and didn't drill the pilot holes yet, be mindful to get them lined up. I installed a 6 point trem on my current Tele build, and I drilled the holes by hand, and while the trem seems to work fine, I didn't get the holes quite lined up, and I'm sure that the bridge isn't making contact with all of them. Though maybe this will work out over time with some wear and tear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.