My first amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sp0ke, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM.

Tags:
  1. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Yamas!!

My advice, go, try them... make up your mind...

... Then try searching the second hand market. Maybe you can find something...

Sp0ke likes this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

If I were you I would get a modeling amp, like a katana, and play with that for a good long time till you figure out what you like. Then maybe buy the original tube your favorite models are based on.

A decent modeling amp will let you play at bedroom volumes or at lower volume gigs, and it will let you cycle through the different styles of standard amps till you find the one you like.

It took me YEARS to figure out that I don't like fender's blackface/silverface amps and that they don't work well for me. They're great amps and they work great for lots of people, but not me. A modeling amp would have got me there sooner.

Bergy likes this.
  3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I think Maxvintage has a really good point. A decent modeling amp can give you a rough approximation of a bunch of different classic guitar tones. If it is your first amp, ya really can't be expected to have a strong personal preference regarding the subtleties of tube amp voicing. You can learn a lot just studying the models that a modeling amp emulates.

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'd say try a Blackstar if you see one. I have an HT Club 40 (which is a lot of amp), but Blackstar makes smaller wattages as well. I went on the Blackstar site just to see if there is a distributor in Greece...only one--Nakas Music. This may make a Blackstar a rare bird in your area. Keep smiling.

5. nobis17

nobis17 TDPRI Member

This is great information, I'm kindof in the same boat. I've never owned a guitar amp. (I've been solely a bass player for 25 years) I'm currently playing through my bass amp. I want to get an amp that will do justice to my tele. I've had my eye on a Fender Blues Deluxe, but my wife bought me a Vox Amplug AC30 so I could play my guitar at work during this virus thing (I'm sequestered at work). The "Sunshine of my Love" sound from it is incredible.

My questions are these: does the AC15 compare to the AC30 in tone? Does the AC30 sound good at lower volumes? is there a big difference between the 112 vs. 212?

Thanks for all the great info!

6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1 Orange 35RT for a straight up amp and it has line in/out.
    A modeling amp is a very good idea as others have mentioned. imho Vox has one of the best modeling platforms. That new Vox Cambridge 50 looks like a winner.
    If you're just playing at home even a 5 watt tube amp is almost too loud. tbh...for a budding musician I'd recommend a Vox Mini 5 Rhythm.
    I love tube amps but I'd never recommend one for a first amp.
    Good luck!

7. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

What artist do you listen to, and what amps are they playing? Because this forum is like the National Engineering Society, no two of us will agree on anything, and you will rarely, if ever get a "cut and dry? answer. Might want to check out the Boss Katana as well. A lot of people gig with them just because of the versatility.

8. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You should include the Supro Blues King in your list...

DaphneBlue and ReverendRevolver like this.
  9. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, the Vox, Orange and Marshall amps all have a British tone influence, while the Fender has a distinctly American tone influence.

It sounds like you prefer the American tone influence. ;)

10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

The Vox sounds like a Vox, whereas a Bjr doesn't sound like a DR, PR,Twin, Bassman, or a champ. It's an el84 based circuit sitting above champ and below older small stuff, and designed originally in an era where the bigger amps released in its era from Fender were running 6L6s. Had they given the Jrs a dipped board circuit more closely resembling the small 6v6 powered builds of ancient history, they'd have more bottom (well, once a 12 is added) and sound more fendery. Sterile isn't the word I'd use, but generic. Vox ACs sound like what a Vox should sound like. Bjrs and Pro jrs dont have that. Supro Blues king sounds more fendery.

The 15 sounds like a smaller 30 IF you can dial to the sweet spot. You can get good Vox cleans at any rate, but distinct sound throughout.
    I couldn't justify the AC10 because it never turns up used (I guess that's telling?) Around here, and a new AC10 is the price of a used AC15, Peavey DB/C30, Fender Excelsior.... you get the idea. If you want a vox sound, all the ACs get it, buy based on what you're going to use it for. If you're never playing guitar for medium venues or bigger, the 10 might do what you need.

On hearing your tele, the AC10, Fender 5f1 or 5e3 clones, Excelsior, Supro Blues king.... loads of stuff are great to plug and play.

11. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I'm going to have to disagree here. Real amps are inspiring to play. Modelers, not so much. To the original poster, go play some and see for yourself. And if you can, play a modeler side-by-side with real amps that you are interested in.

Dismalhead likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

It took me also 35 years to get to the same conclusion... But the fun is in the travel

Sp0ke likes this.
  13. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

I have the AC15C1 and I really love it, especially with Telecasters. Yeah, it's heavy, and somewhat picky with pedals, but it sounds soooo good. If you like the Marshall sound, I recommend the DSL20 or even the DSL40. Really good rock n' roll amps. If American tones are your thing, try to find a used Fender Excelsior. 15" speaker and 6L6 tubes give it a much stronger bottom end. It also has a built in tremolo circuit.

Sp0ke and Dismalhead like this.
  14. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

If your taste runs toward rock, it will be hard to go wrong with an Orange. In my opinion nothing else has that "pissed off chainsaw" sound. Absolutely nails the AC/DC tone.

Sp0ke likes this.
  15. Sp0ke

Sp0ke TDPRI Member

@Believer i also have heared from someone else about vox and pedals.. what do you mean picky with pedals ? why's that?

DaphneBlue likes this.
  16. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

I've found mine to be pretty noisy with many pedals. Now I'm cheap, and most of my pedals are knock-offs of more expensive ones, but I've always heard that AC15s and AC30s are often difficult to dial in with some pedals. I really prefer using my AC15 without pedals. It has the chimey cleans and the natural gain without any help. My DSL20h loves just about any pedal you put in front or in the loop. Just the difference in different circuits, I guess.

Sp0ke likes this.
  17. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't see Fender SCXD on your list.
    It's a great little amp imo.

Sp0ke likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.