My first amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sp0ke, Mar 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sp0ke

Sp0ke TDPRI Member

Hey everyone :D So i went to test few amps . A Vox AC15 , Orange Rocker 15 , Fender Blues Junior IV and a Marshall DSL100HR. Anyone familiar with these amps ?? I'm leaning to Blues Junior. If anyone has used these amps , please let me know your feedback/review please.

Thank you :D

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Have you had a chance to play them? If so, which one sounded best to you? 15 Watts should be PLENTY for practice and small gigs (which would be the normal use for a first amp). The DSL100 seems like overkill (and seems a bit of the odd duck in this otherwise lineup of 15 watt amps). The lower wattage Marshall that would be against the other three would be the either the ORI20C or the DSL20CR. If you can find one or both of these to try, you probably owe it to yourself to do that as well.

Of course there are a million and one ideas out there, but it is your ears with your guitar with your styles that matters. You won’t hurt yourself with the Fender, if that is your choice.

neilybob100 and Sp0ke like this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

This is definitely a situation where you have to sit down with several amps and make your decision. If you want to keep it clean, the BJ is fine, just not very versatile. I'll let others weigh in on the best amps for distortion.

Sp0ke likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Had a Blues Jr, didn't bond with it at all. Have a DSL100HR, it gets lots of love. All of the classic Marshall sounds are in there, and it doesn't need to be loud to sound good.

It all comes down to playing as many amps as you can and finding the one that works best for what you personally like.

Tim S and Sp0ke like this.
  5. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

AC15 is ridiculously loud and overweight for a 15 watt amp.

I had the DSL100H about 6 years ago. Is pretty much overkill for everything these days.

I can never get an Orange to make a sound I like. Probably just me. Everyone else seems to make them rock.

Blues Jr would be my choice and is actually the next amp I’m getting. I currently have a DSL20H and the 1X12 cab. It will do all the Marshall stuff you want. I had an AC10 that I loved but I couldn’t get it to like any of my pedals and it’s gone now.

jh

Sp0ke, NewKid and nojazzhere like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I recently sold a Blues Junior III, after trying to like it for a couple years. Of the ones you mentioned, I'd prefer the AC15......and maybe consider an AC10. You're young enough that the weight of the AC15 might not bother you much, but you never know. But, whatever you decide, anything around 15-20 watts should be plenty. Try as many as you can, though, and decide what sounds best to you.
    Just occurred to me.....have you looked into a used Fender Deluxe Reverb RI? Best single overall amp on the planet. ;)

Sp0ke, jannodude and Fiesta Red like this.
  7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Play everything.

I planned on buying a blues jr for several years. Other stuff took priority. I even knew I'd be replacing the stock speaker, wanted a FSR color......

Then last year Supro released the Blues King 12.

It was $200 over budget.

I played one. Then, believing the sound a fluke, I played 2 more at other stores.

It was what I wanted a Bjr to sound like.

I got rid of the Peavey C30 I'd just bought, and sold a guitar I never really played. Bought the Supro and a duosonic with the money.

Blues Jrs are a bona fide staple. I feel Princeton Reverbs sound better. I feel like the Blues King occupies the niche a Bjr fills, and does it all better. They're even in a similar used price range now.

I always wanted a Vox, but the AC15 wasn't doing it for me when I tried it.
    It's stupid heavey. Like just lighter than a Twin, about heavier than the boat anchor Peavey stuff.
    Sound wise, itll do the mid stuff, you can dial in the nice highs, not much on the bottom. Which is normal, but I wasn't feeling it for the price and heft.

Dsl100.... it's not a JCM exactly. Its also not a pleasant surprise in atypical Marshall tone, which the Origin series is. I just wasn't super impressed, as it is huge pure Marshall power, but not the exact flavor of Marshall I really like. Preference, again, play EVERYTHING.
    The Origin 20 is really cool, try one.

Rocker 15?

Orange is going to give you a sound you aren't getting out of other el84 on the dirt channel. The clean channel is lackluster compared to normal Marshall, and nothing compared to distinct sparkly Vox.
    The Rocker 15 power scales, which is cool. Is it the one with the 10" speaker? I didn't care much for the boxiness, but its probably because it's a 10" speaker that wasn't broken in yet. Probably.

I like Fender sounds. I was a Blues Jr fan. Until the Supro Blues King 12 existed. If you liked the Bjr, test drive the Supro.

Sp0ke and nojazzhere like this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I wanted a Blues Jr until I tried one. They get a lot of love, but not from me. I couldn't get a sound I liked at a volume I could use at home. Maybe they're different when allowed their voice. Make sure you like the sound and aren't convincing yourself that it's for you.

The Vox AC15. Wow!, what an amp!. However, it's big and crazy heavy. The AC10 is 90% of the amp in a much smaller, lighter, more useable package. If you aren't gigging, consider the AC10

Orange. Surprisingly, the Crush Pro amps bear scrutiny and comparison. The 35RT and 60 give really good sounds, and you can lift them :) The valve amps have their own thing going. If you like them, go for it.

Can you get to try Laney and Blackstar amps too?. The Laney Lionheart L5T-112 may well be the only amp you need, providing you aren't a metalhead. The Iommi 15 Watt 1x12" has a lot of charm to it, plus the coolest grille ever fitted to a small combo. It does cleans too!.
    The IRT30 combo is spectacular. Cleans through crunch, with chime through to metal, djent, stoner and more. All without a single additional gain pedal.

Blackstar have 5 and 10 Watt combos that garner a lot of praise too.

Tim S, Sp0ke and nojazzhere like this.
  9. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I like sounds from all major brand amps, and lots of others. Fender, Marshall, Vox, Orange, Hiwatt, etc.

First amp? If you get the DSL100HR, someone is going to kill you. :D But DSL's can sound ok down low, but they don't give up the goods until you crank them up, which means someone is going to kill you. Personally, I think the Blues Juniors aren't very cool amps. They sound ok clean, but with no low end. When they start to breakup I don't like them. I owned one of the first versions, and I have heard other later versions. I just don't like their breakup at all, like the other modern Fender amps of that family. I think the Vox AC15 is a better sounding amp overall, but it has a strong personality that better grab you, because it's not going to be anything else. Toppy, hairy overdrive, hollow mids, decent balance of bottom. I haven't heard an AC10 in person but listening to comparison with the AC15, it sounds very much in the Vox family. If you're a rocker, there seems to be an obvious choice here. That sort of amp isn't going to be for everyone of course, but it seems like a cool little amp for what it is. Both the Blues Junior and AC15 do much better cleans here. If it were my first amp, it would be down to the AC15 and Rocker for me.

Sp0ke likes this.
  10. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I will say again, the AC10 blew away every AC15 I’ve ever tried as far as sound goes. I said my next amp would be a Blues Jr, but if I had the extra cash for a 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue, that’s really where I’d be looking.

jh

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Don't own any of them, but I've at least plugged into all the ones on your list except the Marshall. I've plugged into--as in test driven at the local GC--a BJ. Nothing wrong with the amp, it just didn't do anything special for me.

My son-in-law has the OR-15, with the accompanying CCP112 cab. The kids live in San Antonio, and I live in Corpus Christi, so it's not like I get a chance to play through it every month, but I've done more with it than just a test drive. I like this amp, but I wouldn't buy it for myself. I'm not a pedal guy, but I love reverb and tremolo, so the lack of onboard effects is an issue with me. Plus, the cleans are okay, but that's not the amp's strong suit.

The AC15 I've recorded with. In the studio, I had my choice of amps. This was years ago, and I don't remember the other amps clearly now. I chose Vox. As has been said, it is heavy, but using it in the studio, I didn't have to heft it. ;)

Vox is my amp brand of choice. Love the cleans that are pristine, but chimey, and the warmth and the crunch. My amp for my teles is Vox Pathfinder 15R. It has a small footprint, 8" speaker, but a really efficient one. This amp is more than sufficient for the venues I play, and it has tone and a half, plus onboard reverb and trem.

So of the ones on your list, I'd go with the AC15.

12. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have an AC15. It is my second one. I foolishly sold my first one. Then I jonesed for it for a year or so and bought another one. I think they are great. It has the stock tubes and speaker in it, too.

I play it at home all the time. It will get loud, but it doesn't have to. However, when it does, it shines.

It ain't gonna get you Fender cleans, but that isn't what it is meant to do.

Dismalhead, Sp0ke and El Marin like this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I really like the AC15—great sound, excellent tremolo, loud enough for almost any gig—no matter how big—but able to get decent smaller venue tones, too...
    But Lord, they’re heavy. I mean ridiculously heavy.

I like the AC10 and it’s reasonable weight (and price)...I’m also partial to a 10” speaker, which the AC10 is graced with...however, it’s missing a key ingredient—the tremolo. If you’d put the AC15 tremolo on the AC10 amp, I’d be the first one in line to buy one.

I’ve never owned a Blues Jr...I like the sounds a lot of guys get out of them, but I haven’t messed around with one long enough to become completely comfortable and enamored with it. Having said that, I think it has enough resale value to help you out, in case you don’t bond with it.

Sp0ke, El Marin and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

What kinda music are ya playing? I tend to play a lot of blues.

I am not familiar with that Marshall amp and Orange amps have never been my cup of tea. Last year I was split between getting a Blues Junior and an AC15. I ended up buying the Vox.

At the time I played on 3-4 Blues Juniors and they were all noisy...maybe I had bad luck. I had a hard time getting the Blues Juniors to break up as much as I like. I think the Blues Jr would have appealed more to me if I was looking for something to run a pedalboard through....but I don't like having to run pedals. I'd much rather just plug into my amp directly. I love the sound of the AC15's overdrive by itself.

I also like the EQ on an AC15, it isn't the most straight-forward but it is potent. With the Blues Juniors, I often found myself dangerously close to an ice-pickish tone. Maybe the speakers needed broken in or something. If I was drenching a Blues Junior in effects, or I spent a boatload of time adjusting my sound to fit that particular amp I could make it work...but I have no reason to when the Vox suites my playing so well.

To play devil's advocate...the power transformer blew on my AC15 within the first year (sadly its still in the shop), but I suspect that was an anomaly. I also might end up swapping out the reverb tank on it someday... the decay rate is a bit slow.

Sp0ke likes this.
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My first amp.... humble beginnings...:cool:

not bad through a bin with some volume... it's held it's own in garage jams...;)

Fender Frontman 15 1.JPG

radiocaster and Sp0ke like this.
  16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an AC15C1, my friend has a Blues Jr. that I've played alongside dozens of times. Not sure how to say it, but the AC15 has character and the Blues Jr. seems sterile in comparison. I mean the Blues Jr. is a great all-around amp and super reliable, but the cleans and the break up on the Vox are spectacular. It lives and breathes while you play through it.

Believer, Sp0ke and DaphneBlue like this.
  17. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Blues Jr is light, strong, versatile, easy to mod and repair. It's a great amp for gigs.

Orange Rocker - no chance to play it but it must be similar to a blues jr

Marshall - don't even know the model

VOX AC - great amp but it is so damn heavy....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Sp0ke likes this.
  18. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

I had the same feeling with my blues jr 1. I asked an engineer to mod it. Now it's great. However I tested a blues jr 3 and a tweed and they were much better without mods...

Sp0ke likes this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Between those... I have played all of them, I would choose the AC15 first, second the Marshall, third the BJ and last the Orange (too dark for me)

-AC15 is nice sounding, you can crank it in a band context and sound fine a low volume. It has reverb (i don't use it) and tremolo. Small but a bit heavy for it's size abeit is a feather compared to a Twin FReverb, AC30 or my Bassman 59
    -Marshall DSL100: Crunch and clean are OK, nothing espectacular, Super drive channel is to fuzzy to my ears, Heavyer than AC15. I mean too much buttons and I only use a crunch and my pedals
    -Fender BJ: A standard. Never played an unmodded. You will start changing things, speaker, Billm mods... a mess. O it's favor, is small and light. But as stated up... sterile sounding. I much mucho prefer a Pro Junior
    -Orange 15: Dark, one trick Pony. And you need to push volume really up to get a good tone (to my ears). After playing other amps I found it dark and no nice clean. Heavy as well

If you let me, I would like to introduce a new player... Please, consider a Marshall Origin 50... Combo or head. Cheap, loud (if you want) ant good old school tone, clean or driven. I bought a combo for my covers band and recently sold a Bassman 59 and got a head for my originals band

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Sp0ke likes this.
  20. Sp0ke

Sp0ke TDPRI Member

I do enjoy playing a lot of Rock (classic Rock AC/DC , Black Sabbath , and etc..) , but i also play Jazz , Blues , Metal (Metallica songs) , funk. I do like all the genres. Whatever song i like i try to learn it. So a versatile amp would be perfect.

To @all

Guys as always you are an amazing help !! You definitely made me wanna go back back an play all their tubes. From what i get most of you preferred the Vox AC15 slightly over the BJ. yea i know its heavy lol around 20ks right ? haha

Anyway ill try make a list of the amps i'd like to play again and test , unless i have the time to play them all :D.
    So far i wrote down Marshall Origin 50 , ORI20C or the DSL20CR , Fender Deluxe Reverb RI , Origin 20 , Supro the Blues King 12 , orange 35rt & 60 , Laney IRT30 & Tony Iommi 15 & Lionheart l5t-112 , Vox Pathfinder 15R , 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue.

Feel free to suggest more amps you liked and i will try to find them all in Athens stores and play them :)
    Thank you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.