My Fender Tele or My Squier Tele | Which Do I Love More?

Northern Born

Tele-Meister
20220518_163757[1].jpg

Teles, how do I love thee. Let me count the ways.

Squier, I love thee because you didn't rape my pockets to get you. And I'm not afraid to mod you and make you my own. Sure, your frets are jagged but that's what files are for.

Fender I love thee, too. Why? Because the name Fender commands respect. So much so that I'm willing to live with the noiseless pickups that you were equipped with that I am not a fan of. And I dare not mod you like a Squier for fear of losing your resell value. And I'm willing to overlook that I had to work on you more than any of my other lower costing guitars to get you to sound like I wanted. But I do love you even though you needed more attention.

Which of you do I love more? I can not chose. So, until now, I will keep you both and love playing both of you (until I'm desperate for money then one of you might have to go).

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I too went through a period of feeling ever so slightly inadequate because my Classic Vibe Telecaster said Squier on the headstock instead of Fender. Finally I got myself an honest-to-god made-in-the-USA Fender Tele. It's a fantastic instrument, noticeably better than the Classic Vibe in specific ways, and I love it dearly and have no plans to ever let it go. But still, I have a hard time rationalizing why it cost as much as three Classic Vibes.

Northern Born

Tele-Meister
I too went through a period of feeling ever so slightly inadequate because my Classic Vibe Telecaster said Squier on the headstock instead of Fender. Finally I got myself an honest-to-god made-in-the-USA Fender Tele. It's a fantastic instrument, noticeably better than the Classic Vibe in specific ways, and I love it dearly and have no plans to ever let it go. But still, I have a hard time rationalizing why it cost as much as three Classic Vibes.
I'm with you on that one. I can relate. It costs more because we are spending a portion for the name on the headstock. But it is, what it is.

AcresWild

TDPRI Member

I originally bought a $180 display squier affinity telecaster because it played so well (I spent like two days going all over town playing all the sub $200 guitars at different stores and it was the best clearly)

I had theorized that I'd get a mexican Tele one day, it's been years, I've become a much better player, I'm still open to getting a better Tele one day, but I definitely don't feel the need to, especially now that I've turned it into a pretty decent partscaster

and It's nice to not have to wince when I accidentally bang it against the corner of the table

Northern Born

Tele-Meister
I originally bought a $180 display squier affinity telecaster because it played so well (I spent like two days going all over town playing all the sub $200 guitars at different stores and it was the best clearly)

I had theorized that I'd get a mexican Tele one day, it's been years, I've become a much better player, I'm still open to getting a better Tele one day, but I definitely don't feel the need to, especially now that I've turned it into a pretty decent partscaster

and It's nice to not have to wince when I accidentally bang it against the corner of the table
Keep that thing. Don't ever get rid of it.

Northern Born

Tele-Meister

I think I paid $150 for my Squier Bullet Tele and I'm thoroughly happy with it.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted

Those Affinities have really nice necks. I had one but kept it for only a few days before returning it, because the nut just wasn't wide enough to suit me. I was delighted with everything else about it. If that nut had been another 1 or 2 mm wider, I might never have felt the need to buy another Tele. (OK, we all know that's a lie because NEED has nothing to do with GAS, but you know what I mean.)

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Here's mine. This cost me a hundred and forty four bucks:
20220430_213410.jpg

I mean, come on--I'm not going to say no to that. This neck fits my hand better than any of my other guitars, the frets are just about perfect, and it sounds great.

Northern Born

Tele-Meister
Those Affinities have really nice necks. I had one but kept it for only a few days before returning it, because the nut just wasn't wide enough to suit me. I was delighted with everything else about it. If that nut had been another 1 or 2 mm wider, I might never have felt the need to buy another Tele. (OK, we all know that's a lie because NEED has nothing to do with GAS, but you know what I mean.)
I know what you're saying.