My Fender amp play's Hendrix...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by StratQuebec, Mar 22, 2004.

1. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

Ok. An mp3 worth a thousand words.

I did not believe it myself but I've recorded some bars of Hendrix's "All along the watchtower" with a Fender amp.

After listening to it I said to myself "What a wonderful amp!"

Guess what amp it is?

http://www.download.stratquebec.com/watchtower.mp3

2. davetcan

davetcan Tele-Meister

Please..

don't tell me it's a Custom Vibrolux Reverb. I'm just thinking of selling mine and that will put a stop to it. My guess would be a Cybertwin. Whatever it is it sounds great, nice playing too btw, I'd better go practice some more.

Dave

3. ramblinmike

ramblinmike Tele-Afflicted

wow sounds great! have no idea what amp though. please do let us know what your set up is though, cause i'd love to know. great playing!

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Cyber deluxe?

It sounded great whatever it was easy to hear the Strat tones.

5. davetcan

davetcan Tele-Meister

Hey Rene

I see I was pretty close :D I just checked out your website, great stuff, I spent about 1/2 hour listening and I'm beginning to understand why your Hendrix stuff sounds so good. (not entirely because of the amp)

Dave

6. Jerry P'bury

Jerry P'bury TDPRI Member

Fender Amp

I always had the impression that Jimi recorded All Along the Watchtower with a Fender Twin Reverb.

Great tone! I would be interested in your Amp, Guitar and Delay/Reverb settings if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Jerry

7. Kenneth Coleman

Kenneth Coleman TDPRI Member

Screw the amp, man! Great playing! You really nailed it. I liked your rhythm feel especially.

Ok I'm curious as to what the amp is. Is it a Cyber Twin recorded direct?

8. frakenstrat

frakenstrat Tele-Holic

i have a bassman that will do the hendrix trick with a strat. it doesn't matter if it is fender or marshall, both can be set up to play about the same.

so what amp is it?

9. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

(LONG POST!)
    First of all guys, I really appreciate your good words and I thank you very much. Sincerly the goal of this thread is not to attract me those kind words, although it makes makes feel me good!

Ok. The amp (some have guessed) is a Fender Cyber-Deluxe. An all "no tubes", completly SS. Really the last short recording I made with it, the Hendrix stuff, surprised me a lot. It sound very awesome to my ears .

Really, what I want to share here is that the Cyber-Deluxe, at least on a home recording basis, is really the amp Fender claims to be. Very good sounding and do a very great job on amps models recreation too, at least the Fenders one.

And It has more than that : A lot of features like build-in very high quality reverb, effects and delay, also a pretty good compressor and even a noise gate. All that plus an excellent stereo output for direct recording or PA use, an expender output to slave another amp, midi, effects send-return etc, and I must admit, more often than not, very it sounds very "tube like".

Like all of us, if I could afford it, I would have many tube amps like Marshall, Boogie, Vox, Fender... and many hybrid and many modeling... For sure I would like to have them all, but unfortunately, I can't!

So the Cyber-Deluxe, to me, is the one that makes me feels like I would have all thoses!

What a pleasure to get all thoses sweet tones, in particular that Hendrix like on "All along the watchtower", in your headphones, at 3h00 AM while everybody around is sleeping! That's the kind of satisfaction this Cyber amp gives me.

I think that the trick to tap this amplifier its bests sonorities is to use it at first in "manual mode" (wich is a Cyber-Deluxe unique feature) using the clean amps types like the Tweed1, the Blackface1 and the Dyna-Touch1(why not!).

That way you don't use a pre-configuration (preset) full of noisy high gain distortion and effects, especially if you guitar is equiped with single coils!. No, try it in manual mode with those clean amp types and you'll have, so to speak, a "really" clean virtual vintage Bassman, vintage Twin, or Modern Dyna-Touch Fender amp to play with!

Then try them with a little bit of effects. Wow! And now, to get those clean amps a little bit "dirtier" use the compressor set to 3 or 4 and use your guitar volume knob to control the gain, just like you do with a tube amp. And now try the headphones...incredible!

Once you feel comfortable with those clean amp types, go for the the one with more gain like the Tweed2, Blackface2 and Dyna-Touch2 and don't forget to reduce the GAIN knob, maybe it's on 10!!! More often than not, the gain set to 4 or 5 is really enough.

And now go on with the other amps types like British and Modern, *paying attention* to the GAIN and VOLUME knobs to control the distortion. Pay attention too to the trim knob. It's red led must not go to the peak to often.

In any cases, that's the way I did with my Cyber-Deluxe. After all, that Hendrix like tone was found using the ultra clean tweed1 amp type adding compression-3 to get that little sweet crunch, simply! It remained to add some reverb, delay and just a bit of rotary speaker (vibratone) to give the tone that subtil atmosphere...

IMHO, any serious guitarist should take the time to learn how to use that "just a solid-state amp...".

So the amp here is a Tweed recreation which could be a 1954 Champ, a 1959 Bassman or a 1955 tweed deluxe.

Here's the settings of the parameters:

Open the amp in manual mode
    slect Amp Type : Tweed1
    Trim level : 5.5

EQ'S:
    Gain : .....9.9
    Volume : ...9.9
    Treble : ...4.2
    Middle : ...9.9
    Bass : .....6.8
    Master : ...4.0
    Compression : 1 for the rythm, 3 for the lead

Noise Gate:
    Noise Gate : ......Off
    Noise Gate Depth : N/A

Reverb:
    Reverb Type : ....Spring1
    reverb Level : ...4.4
    Reverb time : ....7.6
    Reverb Dwell : ...6.4
    Reverb Diffusion : 7.1
    Reverb Tone :......5.6

Effects:
    Modulation F/x : ...............Vibratone 1
    Vibratone Level : ......................1.9
    Vibratone Rotor Speed : ................2.9
    Vibratone Doppler Frequency Shift :.....5.8
    Vibratone Low-Pass Filter Range : ......1.2
    Vibratone Amplitude Modulation Depth : .9.9

Delay:
    Delay Type : .................Tape 5
    Delay Level : ................4.4
    Delay Time : ................6.0
    Delay Feedback : .............3.6
    Delay Wow & Flutter : ........6.0
    Delay Low-Pass Frequency : ...7.5

The guitar used is a stock 2002 American Series Stratocaster, mapple neck. The Delta-tone feature was disable (bridge tone knob to 9). The bass used is a Cort Action V and the drummer name is PC-Drummer, a sweet little simple software.

The mp3 was recorded with a digital tascam 788. Just a bit of compresssion added to the drum tracks. Nothing on the Bass and the Guitar. The bass was plugged direct in the tascam. For the guitar, all comes from the Cyber-deluxe!

Now you have it all!

Rene

10. jeffreyk51

jeffreyk51 TDPRI Member

Modeling amps

I recently bought a Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX and experienced the same thing. WOW, WOW, WOW. It too has a manual mode where you can tweak what ever you want. You can emulate a 4x10 Tweed, 2x12 Blackface, Vox AC30 & 15, Dumble and all the Marshall iterations over the years. You can also add a TS-808, OD pedal, Fuzz, Vibe, Octave, Chorus, Flange, Rotary, spring reverb etc. Amazing amp in the same vain as the Fender Cyber series. Sounds better than my vintage Deluxe reverbs, Princeton and Super reverb (and lighter to boot).

Jeff :D

11. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Awesome report!

Your an excellent player too.

12. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

Thanks Mark!

I'm happy that you experience the same level of satisfaction with the Vox Jeff! On day I'm gonna give it a try, for sure. Go on my friend and record some sound bytes with your Valvetronix to share with us!

Rene

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I enjoyed the playing, SQ.
    However, I can hear the SS. As time goes by, more of us who grew up listening to and playing with tube amps will pass on, and the SS world will rule. The digital age demands it. That does not mean, however, that tubes don't sound richer and have more dimension in their sonic output. For that matter, CD's don't have the richness that good vinyl recordings have, either.
    Once again, I enjoyed the playing..I just wish that it had been done through some quality effect put through a tube amp.

14. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally!

I totaly agree with you about "tube vs ss". It's an old debate and any "musician ears" can hear the difference between the two, especially on overdriven tones, or with stomp boxes, but as you know, tube amps needs to be crancked to give their best tones.

So, what I want to point out here is simply:
    "What a pleasure to get all thoses sweet tones, in particular that Hendrix like on "All along the watchtower", in your headphones, at 3h00 AM while everybody around is sleeping! That's the kind of satisfaction this Cyber amp gives me."

I do used tube amps in the pas but they couldn't give me that Hendrix tone at 3.00 am in my headphones while everybody around is sleeping!!! I did that recording during the night in a very quiet room and what a surprise I had when I listened to the mp3.

Really at least for direct recording, that amp is a killer...and has no tubes to take care, swap, bias, replace, being new or NOS.

I don't know how will sound that preset live though...

Rene

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

SQ, yeah, that headphone thing is a positive, I agree. I guess what one needs is a tube amp with a headphone out and a load/speaker simulator to achieve the silence.
    Once again, I enjoyed the playing.
    Have a good one.

16. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

Thanks for the compliment my friend. I really do appreciate. You're a gentleman.

"I guess what one needs is a tube amp with a headphone out and a load/speaker simulator to achieve the silence"

Oh, that would be nice!

Take care Wally!

17. Jerry P'bury

Jerry P'bury TDPRI Member

Wow thats funny!

After my first reply I went and plugged into my Tweed Deluxe with a little slap back delay. I actually had better luck nailing the tone with my Tele than I did with my Strat. Let me re-state that. It was easier to dial in the tone on the Tele than it was the Strat. I did roll back the tone on both the amp & the Guitar. It really sweetened up the tone.

Thanks for taking the time to cover what you did with the Cyber-(Deluxe). I would never have believed it.

Jerry

18. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

" I did roll back the tone on both the amp & the Guitar. It really sweetened up the tone. "

That make sens since I think the tone must not be too bright.

"Thanks for taking the time ..."
    Glad that it had helped.

Just a note : It's a Cyber-deluxe Jerry!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.