My Feeling About Tele Bridges is . . . . . (a survey)

If I were building a Tele today, I'd use:

• Traditional 3-Saddle

Votes: 79 19.8%
  • Traditional 3-Saddle, Bent for Compensation

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 3 Saddles, Machined for Compensation

Votes: 168 42.2%
  • Modern 6-saddle

Votes: 71 17.8%
  • Vintage 6-Saddle

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Depends on the guitar

Votes: 56 14.1%

• Total voters

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I've had teles with three saddles, six saddles, brass, steel, whatever.

Amazingly, every guitar sounded like a tele. Current #1 is a Kirn. It sounds like a tele. A really, really good tele. That one has a Gotoh bridge with brass compensated saddles. It works. I really don't know what the percentage contribution of each component (pickups, electronics, bridge, saddles) is, but I've had a lot of teles in a lot of configurations, and they all worked!

Kirn guitars are a treat in the pictures on his site. Beautiful work.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
81ri9fbVL2L._AC_UL320_.jpg

41Sxjx9WtmL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My Telecaster has a vintage style six saddle bridge. It works. It holds adjustment. I use a half washer spacer to align the strings to the neck, and hide it under an ashtray cover. Looks traditional. Works modern. And sorry @Obsessed , the cover hides the butt crack.
Wait, you play with the ashtray cover on?:eek: Take that cover off and set yourself free while the mojo exudes from the butt crack.:cool::D

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
This argument has only two facts.

The sixers intonate more accurately.

The 3 saddle design may benefit tone.

Anything else is about looks.

Pick your poison. I've had and enjoyed both designs knowing they weren't perfect.

The perfect design was g and l six brass saddle design.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
yeah, lets not forget tradition? The 3 saddle has a long history that goes back , way back to the olden days of the dawn of Fenders celebrated history.
Just because the modern six saddle bridge is an advancement that was long over due, intonates easily and is very stable is no reason to change and abandon a tradition verging on ludditism.
Just because the James Burton telecaster uses 6 modern saddles doesn't indicate that they are superior in any way.
maybe.
View attachment 925910

They don't sound as good.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
This argument has only two facts.

The sixers intonate more accurately.

The 3 saddle design may benefit tone.

Anything else is about looks.

Pick your poison. I've had and enjoyed both designs knowing they weren't perfect.

The perfect design was g and l six brass saddle design.

Incorrect. 6 saddles just allow tone deaf guitarists to do that thing they do with a tuner and a screw driver that they call intonation, which they don't really understand, and feel more comfortable continuing to not understand it. If guitars can be correctly compensated with one saddle and no adjuster screws, surely you don't believe a 3 saddle can't be set up to do the same?

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I swapped out threaded steel barrels on a 60s styled Tele for the Gotoh InTune compensated type. Intonation (on a tuner) is marginally better, sounds possibly ever so slightly warmer, maybe.

My 50s style Tele still has the regular brass saddles it came with. Intonation is almost as good (on a tuner) as the other guitar.

But ultimately, I’m not too worried about intonation - close enough for rock and roll and all that. I care more about how it looks.

So, I’ll just say it. For me, as in, it’s just my view, anything but three saddles just looks ugly. Like a mismatched part. And by mismatched, I mean aesthetically. Nothing wrong with mismatched bits and bobs when it works out well. But for me, the modern bridge just doesn’t work out well.

And, back to intonation, actually and despite the ‘inferior’ three saddle system, I can intonate both guitars with fractions of a cent. Their intonation / degree on in-tune-ness is at far greater risk from my fretting than it is from the saddles.

Pax/
Dean

viking

Friend of Leo's
I fully accept the fact that musical styles and ears are different .For me , the traditional 3 saddle is good enough , I have never felt let down by it. Machined straight 3 saddles are ok , they are not obnoxius to look at.
The slanted saddles , nope , sorry.

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Love the Gotoh modern brass.
Love the 3 saddle one with the SLOTED steel saddles (the ones all teles had from 1967-1980).
Can't stand unsloted or bent saddles.
I don't care about any kind of compensated saddles cause I am not Batman :) ,intonation is overated and the classic 010-038 set I use "intonates" 100%, at the 12th fret anyway with regular saddles.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
Said it a thousand times here, my favourite bridge is the Wilkinson compensated three brass saddle one. I’m sure though that the gotoh or other brands are just as good.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
One vintage and one modern (if short) on the two I have built.

I took the sides down a bit for pick clearance, but I thought a modern bridge would have looked wrong on this:

Tele 6.jpg

I think this is called a 'Hipshot' at least it is that style (not made by Hipshot):

Finished 2.JPG

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My Teles all came with the traditional 3 saddles & I’ve never felt the need to change

BerkshireDuncan

Tele-Holic
For intonation, I'm not sure 6 individual saddles are 'better'.. maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems to me the screw adjustment range (on all bridge types) is pretty forgiving, so I've never found intonating 2 adjacent strings to be an issue.

If singles do have an edge, for me it's the ease of setting string height / radius.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I have modern six, 3 barrel steels and now 3 saddle brass compensated.

Of the three, I prefer the brass for tone and feel when palm muting (likely a better setup).

The six saddle and steel always had sticking out grub screws after set up and it always cut up my hand if doing heavy muting.

Think I'll stick with compensated brass saddles from now.

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My two Teles came with uncompensated three-saddle bridges and I haven’t felt the need to change them. Contrary to what the internet tells me, their intonation is just fine.