My favorite players...surely to bore most folks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleplayer99, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

That’s fine. I’m getting older every day too and only know what I’m talking about when I talk about myself, and even then sometimes I’m not so sure.

elihu likes this.
  2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Steve Hunter, Dick Wagner and Snowy White come to mind. I have a broad taste in music and guitarists. These players seem to play to the song without too much flash or wankery.

3. JBurton

JBurton Tele-Meister

James Burton, Doc Watson, Don Rich, Clarence White, Danny Gatton, Steve Wariner, Gary Moore, Larry Carlton, Eric Johnson.

But those are just my favorites.

Rowdyman likes this.
  4. wattsupnow

wattsupnow TDPRI Member

Both are remarkable players - I would add Eric Gale, Howard Roberts, and Taj Mahal as unique and gifted.

Rowdyman likes this.
  5. COOPSTER

COOPSTER TDPRI Member

Wife # 4 lol you got balls friend. I was thinking after two wives it's pretty much flake territory, but you give me hope. Now I must go and polish my old strat, and replace a bone nut...

6. JBurton

JBurton Tele-Meister

Wait a sec…is this thread about favorite guitarists, or, what makes ‘em great?!?!

Marc Morfei likes this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Session /studio musicians are always the unsung heroes. I would add Waddy Wachtel to the list above.

JazzDreams and Killing Floor like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Who would you rather take to the studio or on a tour? GE Smith or Eric Johnson? It’s a no-brainer for me. Show up on time and play what your supposed to play perfectly with no hassle or do 30 takes that sound exactly the same with analysis paralysis?
    Same question but Steve Vai?
    It would be a total nightmare to be in a band with a guy like that. Just play the notes. It’s not solo time yet.
    Guys like Smith who can play but more importantly can listen and comprehend the layers in music are rare and priceless. Rock’n’roll is a team sport.
    Nothing wrong with being influenced by a brilliant player who is also a team player.

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. rockman54

rockman54 TDPRI Member

I saw GE Smith a few years ago with the Masters of The Telecasters and he was great. Always enjoyed him when he was on SNL.

10. Deed

Deed TDPRI Member

I love GE Smith, Steve Cropper and Mike Campbell.
    Also Mick Ronson, James Honneyman Scott, Elliot Easton and Rick Nielsen... just to name a few.

11. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

I always admired G.E. Smith's work with Hall & Oates. He really put his memorable guitar signature on so much of their stuff. Was excited to see them (when he was with them) in concert back in maybe 1990. G.E.'s stage presence and playing were excellent! Somewhat akin to the way John McFee enhanced the Doobie Brothers performances.

12. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Reggie Young was the first name that popped in my brain, Steve Cropper second, and Andy Summers. All three were minimalistic but played some extremely tasteful parts that improved whatever songs they played on without trying to put themselves in the limelight.
    BTW, the intro to ‘Drift Away’ was a masterpiece created by Reggie Young. I wouldn’t call it simple.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In EJ’s defense, he added beautifully crafted solos and fills on songs by Cat Stevens, Christopher Cross, Rodney Crowell, and Carole King.
    GE is very much a “less is more” guy.
    Eric is generally a more is more guy.
    GE is a famous team player.
    Eric is a famous soloist.
    Sometimes you need a glass of water, sometimes you need an ocean.
    Both guys are brilliant, IMO.

JBurton likes this.
  14. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

Wow.... get on line (probably YouTube) and listen, listen, listen. Listen to the documentaries and interviews too. You'll have any number of "Holy sxxx; I never knew that..." monents and probably get a new sense of where the music came from. A whole lot of things you may have heard mentioned will probably come together for you.

And its gonna be a good time!

JBurton likes this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. I do not mean to suggest they aren’t brilliant players. I’d say the same thing about Jaco Pastorius as a bassist. If your a soloist play solos. If your a musician in a band support the song. SRV played rhythm wonderfully, for example. Same as Clapton and Beck, etc. It would be easy and painless to be in a production environment with GE Smith.

16. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

If you haven’t heard Cornell Dupree, you’ve definitely heard many guitarists copy him. He played with Aretha, Donnie Hathaway, King Curtis, Paul Simon, Joe Cocker, and many others. His style is evident on the tune.

He’s the guitarist in the Aretha Franklin “Amazing Grace” film that is streaming for free on some of the tv/movie platforms.

He was also co-guitarist in Stuff with the great Eric Gale.

And as you can see, he had one of the coolest Teles ever.

RobRiggs likes this.
  17. telecastasaurus

telecastasaurus TDPRI Member

I like both of those guys. Although cropper played games with everyone's money. A couple more guys the fly under the radar are Bill Kirchen and Redd Volkaert.

JBurton likes this.
  18. Mur

Mur Friend of Leo's

"Flying under the radar" . . good observation.

19. CowTownPickers

CowTownPickers TDPRI Member

Brent Mason & Joe Bonnamassa are my favorites. Both are masters of their craft. Lots of others I love listening to also but those two are on a different level.

JBurton likes this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Paraphrasing some famous quote: 'If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough.'

RhytmEarl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.