My favorite Gretsch player ever

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
1669753997472.png

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
Brian Setzer

I got the Brian Setzer Orchestra CD as a gift long ago, and I loved it. Haven't listened to it in several years, but I'm cranking it tonight. :D

No argument here. He is amazing. One of my favorites is Stephen Stlls, playing his White Falcon ( close 2nd place)

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Brian Setzer. I can’t even play a Gretch. Not that I’ve tried very many.

I saw the Stray Cats open for SRV and Setzer with a different bass player and drummer at a Fender event at the Wild Horse saloon once. That night he was unbelievable.

Pete Townshen on Who’s Next is Rock guitar tone supremacy too.

oatsoda

Tele-Afflicted
Something odd about this photo/guitar. Looks like there are no strings on the guitar. He must’ve been strumming furiously but his right hand gives no indication of that. And what’s up with the neck pickup(s)? Really interesting.
good eye. If you watch the movie footage you can see the strings, he is strumming furiously, and he does have what appears to be a p bass pup mounted on the guitar.

Wheelhouse

Tele-Holic
I was thinking of people who pretty much only played Gretsch. Roy, Neil, George don't make that AFAIK. Poison Ivy sure does, and Malcolm, but Brian is the more virtuosic IMO. Chet, like I said, is on a planet all his own. ;)

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Have we had Duane Eddy yet? I was looking for a really good live video but somehow found this strange thing from Top of the Pops in 1975, introduced by the horrible Noel Edmonds. I remember seeing it at the time and thinking it seemed so odd, and is this what happens when you get a bit old, and your moment has passed. In retrospect, TOTP (compulsory viewing for UK teenagers in the ‘70s) made most things seem awful, and I think I quite like it now - actually I think it’s pretty brilliant

Last edited:

Jeru

Tele-Holic
I don't have a favorite, I have favorites. I'm not necessarily an advocate for
participation trophies, but I really do like the concept of honorable mention.

Trevor Good of the Sadies. Link to an absolutely SICK cut below. RIP Dallas Good.

The_Sadies_at_BSOMF_2011-2.jpg

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
White Falcon(s)...

Stephen Stills and Neil Young in Buffalo Springfield were so inventive with their composing/phrasing, tone, use of effects with their Gretches

* get Al Kooper/ Bloomfield Super Sessions, and listen to Stills go to town w/Gretsch on B-side:
" Season of the Witch"*
"You Don't Love Me"
" It Takes a Lot to Laugh.."*

Edit-
*Stephen here, is doing very fun 'fake pedal steel' things, with his Bigsby, his own bending, and great tone. Almost like a hollow-body Tele!

Last edited: