My father-in-law got a new (to him) car. And he’s really proud of it.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Who else can feel the sensation of driving a big old american car right now?

Greggorios and dan1952 like this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've owned a 75 Sedan Deville, a 77 Coupe Deville, an 88 Olds Delta 88, an 86 Fleetwood Brougham, an 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...Love the V8 land yachts! No Prius sewing machines pour moi, s'il vous plait!

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We bought a used 79 Toronado in 81 with about 50,000 on it. We loved that car. Snow would have to be almost to the bumper to slow it down. Long trips were a pleasure. V8 had way plenty of power and I'm sure it was a 350 4V. GT's father in law has plenty to be proud of in my book!

4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nice. Any love affair I had with automobiles ended long ago, but I'm a sucker for those big comfy cars.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I had a college friend with one as well. It was an early 80s model, and nearly mint in the late 90s when I knew him. He kept it immaculate - paper on the floorboards and everything. He was so careful about the thing that he left the key in the ignition (they used to have a separate key for the doors) because he didn't want dangling keys from his key ring to scratch the steering column.

Someone stole it and took it joy riding. They found it 6 months later in a farm pond in Oklahoma. What a waste!

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The aesthetics of a half-vinyl roof have not aged well.

I'd be halfway intrigued if I stumbled across a Cadillac Allante or a Buick Reatta from the early 90s with low mileage and a good price.

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

One time I was in line at the supermarket and the lady in front of me told the bag boy "Put these in the back of the mauve Dynasty!" I'll never forget the look on his face, a look that said "You pretentious *****". This car reminds me of that. I think it's the color.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh yes. I'd forgotten they'd gone to front wheel drive. You're absolutely right.

9. Greggorios

Sorry, not sure. I thought they were V6 3.8L but not sure if other engines were available.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  10. Greggorios

Yes indeed. Got me thinking about the 69 Monte Carlo SS 454, lordy what a beast.

[​IMG]

11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

When my son was born in 85 in England I bought a 78 Monza Wagon with the 3.2L Buick V6 and 4sp on the floor. That was WAY too much engine for that little car. Sure was fun though. Like this but cream colored. I just did a quick Wiki read on them and apparently they only made 2000 of these basically to use up the remaining Vega bodies.

7291585266_4552732b42_b.jpg

12. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My RZ350 in present tune makes 200HP per liter, my minivan makes 80... :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Meister

Is, by any chance, your father in law moonlighting as a pimp? Because he totally should be with that sweet ride! And I think all the proceeds are tax free.

14. whitebread

whitebread Tele-Meister

Those mid 80's Rivs had a 305ci or 5.0 L in modern speak. While the hp figures aren't impressive by today's standards, what you import 1.8l boys never seem to understand is torque. Most 305s made close to 300ft/lbs of torque down LOW in the RPMs, like 2000 rpm. That's pretty big twisting force right off the line.

Torque wins races, HP sells cars.

Due to the laws of diminishing returns, a big motor will never be as hp/displacement efficient as a tiny one, that's just physics. Plus, they were just starting to figure out emission stuff back then also.

What's truly mindblowing by those standards are the modern V8s. The 5.7Hemi in my Ram makes 395hp and 410ft/lbs of torque, and gets 20+ MPGs. Back in the 90s I couldn't even dream of getting 400hp out of my 5.0 mustang with ALL the bolt-on's.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You've got it all mixed up see, all mixed up.
    Big Murican V8 engines got more liters per HP!
    AKA there's no substitute for cubic inches!

Them little Euro four bangers need lotsa multi OHC valvetrain mumbo jumbo to get a decent amount of power from a sewing machine.
    Sad.

I gotta cast iron 500lb eight liter motor in my '56 chevy out in the garage.
    Usta have a '67 Buick Riviera with a 350 horse 425, those bein' cubic inches cause Murica didn't make liters in the '60s. 100mph all day long!

Durn 2.5 liter five cylinder in my Volvo wagon I gotta be careful or the durn tires spin pulling into traffic. All four tires at that!

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to mention this.
    It's screaming out for a purple metalflake paint job and some fur trim on that roof lining.
    Maybe hit those chrome spoke hubcaps with a can of anodized gold.:)

Southpole likes this.
  17. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

My 72 Riv had the huge white bucket seats with the horseshoe shifter console. That car went under the radar at the Ho-Jo's on I-80 in Iowa at 145mph.

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. rz350

Someone must have swapped that 425 into that '67, 1966 was the last year of the nailhead 425, all '67's had 430's... and the highest output 425 had 340
    HP, unless it had the optional dual quad intake, then it was 360 Horse....

I worked on Buicks for years.... :)

19. rz350

Hmm, must have been modified, 455 that year made 250 crank horsepower, and the coefficient of drag was around .45-.50, stock top speed was in the 120's before it ran out of power and gear, unless you could spin that 455 over 5800 RPM, it wouldn't hit 145 MPH.... my 430 Riviera with a TH400 and a 3.42 rear gear ran out of RPM at around 130 MPH, and that engine was making over 300 crank HP. It was a handful over 120 MPH... ;)

20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

When I searched for pics of my favorite mid-60's era Rivieras, I also came across this '54 Buick Wildcat, from the year of my birth. I don't remember ever seeing one before. 1955-buick-wildcat.jpg 4890501.jpg ebay784381.jpg This last one is of course a Riviera

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.