MY EXEPERIENCE OF MY FIRST GIG IN 5 YEARS.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I played my first gig in 5 years yesterday after a health enforced hiatus.
Actually my first solo gig this side of my last drink nearly 10 years ago.

It was a roaring success.
It was at the opening of my neighbours sculpture park in front of about 100 heads but most importantly Mrs K and my 4 grand kids were also there.

The first set (1 hr of covers) was a bit nervy for the first couple of songs before I climbed into the zone and forgot where I was. Then it went ok but still not my best.

The second set around 4 hours later was 90 minutes long (one third of it my own material) and the atmosphere was great. Two large fire pits in front of the stage with about 50 well oiled, listeners who seemed to be enjoying it.

I managed to get a few offers for some more bookings throughout the rest of this year and one guy in particular who used to play with Bert Jansh was fairly insistent that I get back out playing.

I'll need to balance my slow but steady health recovery with my ambition of getting back out there again though.
I'll see how I feel after this weeks holiday with 4 grandkids under 8 y/o running me ragged and also an old 82 y/o friend and mentor coming to stay for a few days.

However, I can't type this without acknowledging the debt of gratitude I have for the folks on here who have been offering encouragement when I felt ready to sling the sponge in and dive back under the duvet.

I'm grateful. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

It was at the opening of my neighbours sculpture park in front of about 100 heads but most importantly Mrs K and my 4 grand kids were also there.

The first set (1 hr of covers) was a bit nervy for the first couple of songs before I climbed into the zone and forgot where I was. Then it went ok but still not my best.

The second set around 4 hours later was 90 minutes long (one third of it my own material) and the atmosphere was great. Two large fire pits in front of the stage with about 50 well oiled, listeners who seemed to be enjoying it.

I managed to get a few offers for some more bookings throughout the rest of this year and one guy in particular who used to play with Bert Jansh was fairly insistent that I get back out playing.

I'll need to balance my slow but steady health recovery with my ambition of getting back out there again though.
I'll see how I feel after this weeks holiday with 4 grandkids under 8 y/o running my ragged and also an old 82 y/o friend and mentor coming to stay for a few days.

However, I can't type this without acknowledging the debt of gratitude I have for the folks on here who have been offering encouragement when I felt ready to sling the sponge in and dive back under the duvet.

I'm grateful. Thanks!!!
1657500821615.png

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's

I'll see how I feel after this weeks holiday with 4 grandkids under 8 y/o running me ragged and also an old 82 y/o friend and mentor coming to stay for a few days.

I'm grateful. Thanks!!!
I can't imagine playing solo without tracks or at all, really. How do you do it?

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m glad you’re getting back into gigging. The majority of places here are cutting back on live music. This is our off season so venues are waiting for the snowbirds and tourists are back.
Forget the folks that are here year round and support you all year. Some of these places I never go to and support at all.